• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

Gross. Maybe the Cardinals are really down on Wong or something

edit: maybe it wouldn't be that bad, dunno. But it means Jedd Gyorko, starting 2B

I really, really don't want Cain or Davis. Davis was on the DL for forearm tightness, and his peripherals dropped after. Cain also saw a turn for the worse. We just went through this w/ Heyward, and both are in their walk year. And Wong is a much bigger price IMO. Dude just needs to play every day.

I really, really don't want Cain or Dyson. We just went through this w/ Heyward. And Wong is a much bigger price IMO. Dude just needs to play every day.

I'd love Adam Eaton but think CWS are gonna charge a ton for him (and are right to do so).

I'd be fine with Dyson because I think he'd be pretty cheap. Give us a 1-yr stopgap, see what Harrison Bader has then we could always look to sign someone else in the offseason. Although Matheny probably just wouldn't play Dyson at all and treat him like he did Bourjos

BFIB

I'd love Adam Eaton but think CWS are gonna charge a ton for him (and are right to do so).

I'd be fine with Dyson because I think he'd be pretty cheap. Give us a 1-yr stopgap, see what Harrison Bader has then we could always look to sign someone else in the offseason. Although Matheny probably just wouldn't play Dyson at all and treat him like he did Bourjos

I thought the reason they were looking at moving some pieces around the infield was to give Wong ample playing time? Wasn't that exactly what Mo discussed as soon as the season ended?

I just think its too early to give up on Kolten. Plus, this goes right against what the Cards wanted to do, which was get younger, and more athletic up the middle.

I thought the reason they were looking at moving some pieces around the infield was to give Wong ample playing time? Wasn't that exactly what Mo discussed as soon as the season ended?

I just think its too early to give up on Kolten. Plus, this goes right against what the Cards wanted to do, which was get younger, and more athletic up the middle.

Yeah, that's what Mo said. But I guess if they get blown away by an offer they'd do anything. I don't know why 1 year of Cain + Davis for Wong+prospects would blow him away, though.

zulux21

yeah, I can't imagine the white sox move eaton.
mostly because he is the type of player they have wanted to lead off for a while.

plus I think his value will still go up a bit if the white sox get a real centerfielder.

Eaton is an average centerfielder defensively, but an absolute monster right fielder... he caught almost anything that went out that way... it was crazy @_@

More WBC news:

Dipoto said the team will allow Robinson Cano and Nelson Cruz to play winter ball to prepare for the WBC

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/805904833458925568

He expects the Mariners to have several players in the WBC. Valencia, Diaz, Paxton, O'Neill, Altavilla, Seager all possibilities

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/805905176401940481

Paxton would be a very big help to the Canadian pitching effort...really, he is the best pitcher we have. Which says a lot.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman

Rays getting a lot of hits on Alex Cobb as well as archer and odorizzi. Same group lookin at sale, plus cubs, others.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman

Rays getting a lot of hits on Alex Cobb as well as archer and odorizzi. Same group lookin at sale, plus cubs, others.

Would it be a stretch that what the Rays do at these Winter Meetings play a big part in whether they survive in Tampa or not?

Last time a I heard about the stadium situation, it was going to a vote proposal or something other?

jbug617

Banned
Nats and White Sox close to a deal for Sale.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals. Robles, Giolito would go to #WhiteSox. Teams haggling over final pieces in deal.

zulux21

Nats and White Sox close to a deal for Sale.

I have to imagine there is another top 100 prospect in there, and a couple other players if they aren't going to trade Turner.

if all the white sox get are those two and some fringe prospects than it would be a horrible deal for them.

That's it?

Robles is going to be baseball's #1 overall prospect. Kid is a STUD.

And Gio throws 100 MPH and Dusty Baker would ruin him.

Honestly, I think the Nats got hosed here.

Oh yeah Grover, the Red Sox were second place for him, their offer was...

Well.

Laughable.

jbug617

Banned

Choomp

Banned

Either way, gonna be a bitch having to deal with the Nats with the rotation of Sale/Strasburg/Scherzer, plus Roark who had a solid last season. Plus especially if they still have future top 5 Met killer ever in Trea Turner

zulux21

if you think they got hosed now, just wait until they announce the other players involved.
that is just the framework, not the full package. (and rightfully so, ace starters go for more than just that)

really though, yes the 19 year old might end up being a total stud... or he could end up like countless other can't miss studs and never make it to the majors or quickly fail and quit baseball even if he gets his chance.

if you think they got hosed now, just wait until they announce the other players involved.
that is just the framework, not the full package. (and rightfully so, ace starters go for more than just that)

really though, yes the 19 year old might end up being a total stud... or he could end up like countless other can't miss studs and never make it to the majors or quickly fail and quit baseball even if he gets his chance.

Doesn't matter. You don't judge baseball trades in hindsight, gotta judge the trade on the pieces right now.

Robles is the #1 prospect in baseball. Giolito isn't far behind him. Add in another top-10 prospect and that's a fleecing and a half. The #1 prospect in baseball is worth a TON.

Malvingt2

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1
Heard what @Ken_Rosenthal said: #Nationals willing to put Giolito/Robles into package. #Whitesox mulling if enough for Sale.

zulux21

Reynaldo Lopez has to be in the deal
that would make more sense if there is another top 100 in the deal.

You guys are vastly underestimating how valuable Robles is.

not saying he isn't valuable, but chris sale is one of the best pitchers in baseball with 3 more years of team friendly control. That doesn't come cheap at all.

this isn't his last year of his contract where the white sox need to move him to get anything, as long as he doesn't get hurt the trade deadline next year or even next off season would still require a huge haul to get him.

that would make more sense if there is another top 100 in the deal.

not saying he isn't valuable, but chris sale is one of the best pitchers in baseball with 3 more years of team friendly control. That doesn't come cheap at all.

this isn't his last year of his contract where the white sox need to move him to get anything, as long as he doesn't get hurt the trade deadline next year or even next off season would still require a huge haul to get him.

And he didn't come cheap. He came with a top-25 prospect in Giolito and the #1 prospect in baseball, who's 19 years old.

That's stupid expensive.

Yeah it's possible all of these prospects flop, but if you are team trying to trade a guy like Sale you really have no choice. It's not like you are going to trade him for Trout or Harper. You take the best prospects available and try and take the guys your scouts say have the smallest chance of busting. The alternative is to hang on to him, win 75 games, watch his value dwindle and/or eventually lose him for nothing. Gotta pull the trigger eventually.

Mortemis

Banned
Stupid Astros, why can't they trade Bregman+ for Sale? I'd rather deal with Sale a couple of times for a few years than deal with what Bregman and others in that farm can become for six. :(

zulux21

Yeah it's possible all of these prospects flop, but if you are team trying to trade a guy like Sale you really have no choice. It's not like you are going to trade him for Trout or Harper. You take the best prospects available and try and take the guys your scouts say have the smallest chance of busting. The alternative is to hang on to him, win 75 games, watch his value dwindle and/or eventually lose him for nothing. Gotta pull the trigger eventually.

oh no, they should trade him. just saying just because a number of prospects look good on paper you need to make sure to maximize things. The white sox can and should be asking more than just those two. Starting pitching goes for a ton, especially legit aces.

And he didn't come cheap. He came with a top-25 prospect in Giolito and the #1 prospect in baseball, who's 19 years old.

That's stupid expensive.

for an ace given what they usually require to get... not really. it's quite on the low end.
that is the package you get for an ace with a year left not 3.

Friggz

Sale, Scherzer, Strasburg....lol. Hope Strasburg can stay healthy. Id like to see 2 starters record 250K

i also cant wait to see the yankees get just as much for chapman and miller as the white sox get for sale.

for an ace given what they usually require to get... not really. it's quite on the low end.
that is the package you get for an ace with a year left not 3.

What? No it isn't lol. If they were like, top-5 organizational pieces from a crappy farm system maybe.

But these are two legitimate top end prospects nationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom