• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also think the way BFIB treated Heyward on his way out probably did nothing to improve his impressions of the team.

I know everyone loves to act like BFIBs are demonstrably worse than other fans, but I get the feeling Heyward would've been treated just as poorly by fans of any other team.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it was the two opt outs Chicago gave him that did it. By all accounts St. Louis only gave him one. The Chicago deal was probably better for his long term earning potential, unless he doesnt bounce back next year.

Listening to MLB talk about how they always suspected Bautista and Encarnacion would struggle to find a new team, 5 weeks after they said they wouldn't. 🤔

TBH, I wonder how much the CBA troubles played into it.

But nevertheless, it's strange that somebody hasn't plopped down for Edwin. Bautista I knew would be a hard sell, considering his deteriorating fielding ability would sequester him to basically only being AL property.

It's hot stove season alright and the hottest insider scoop ftom Wsox insiders right now is that Boston has upped the ante for Sale.
Moncada, Kopech, Basabe + is supposed to be their new offer.

BFIB

It's hot stove season alright and the hottest insider scoop ftom Wsox insiders right now is that Boston has upped the ante for Sale.
Moncada, Kopech, Basabe + is supposed to be their new offer.
That's a lot. Your move Nats, and eventual mystery team.

BigAT

I know everyone loves to act like BFIBs are demonstrably worse than other fans, but I get the feeling Heyward would've been treated just as poorly by fans of any other team.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it was the two opt outs Chicago gave him that did it. By all accounts St. Louis only gave him one. The Chicago deal was probably better for his long term earning potential, unless he doesnt bounce back next year.

I would really hope most other fanbases wouldn't lose their minds about a 1-year rental choosing to pursue free agency after his contract is over. I get it was a division rival and all, but I would be embarrassed if Yankees fans reacted that way in a similar situation.

I would really hope most other fanbases wouldn't lose their minds about a 1-year rental choosing to pursue free agency after his contract is over. I get it was a division rival and all, but I would be embarrassed if Yankees fans reacted that way in a similar situation.

I think you overestimate sports fans. People are crazy and have even more of a voice with Twitter now.

BFIB

It's nuts. Heyward would never had been a Cardinal if Taveras was still alive. We only chased Heyward because we had a need. Odds are Heyward was going to be traded and test FA anyway, had the Cards not jumped on him.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
TBH, I wonder how much the CBA troubles played into it.

But nevertheless, it's strange that somebody hasn't plopped down for Edwin. Bautista I knew would be a hard sell, considering his deteriorating fielding ability would sequester him to basically only being AL property.

Probably a combo of price, age and surrendering the team's first round pick (Unless it's a protected pick)

I know the Astros were definitely interested, but what years/$ does he want after they managed to grab Beltran at 1y/16M?

Parch

Encarnacion has had good offers, but I think he's playing each other to get more. Good luck with that. He'll get paid but maybe not as much as he hoped.

I should be used to it by now, but every year I'm dumbfounded by the ridiculous contracts baseball players get. Some below average ball players make more that all-star hockey players so I don't have much sympathy for complaints about the CBA. They get paid extremely well, especially for a sport where careers are much longer than other team sports.

Encarnacion has had good offers, but I think he's playing each other to get more. Good luck with that. He'll get paid but maybe not as much as he hoped.

I should be used to it by now, but every year I'm dumbfounded by the ridiculous contracts baseball players get. Some below average ball players make more that all-star hockey players so I don't have much sympathy for complaints about the CBA. They get paid extremely well, especially for a sport where careers are much longer than other team sports.

The MLBPA is a strong and well organized union and baseball is incredibly healthy. It's not baseball's fault that other player unions are a mess.

The MLBPA still screwed over the Latin American kids though.

Dodgers checked in with Joey Bats

Could also a leak by the White Sox to get the Nats to up the offer

White Sox do their leaks through Nightengale.

edit: Right on cue!
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 3m3 minutes ago
The #Redsox and #Nats now in a dual battle for #WhiteSox ace Chris Sale with #Braves as dark horse

Malo

Banned
I need trader Dave to unload. Preferably one of Bradley/Benintendi to go along with Moncada.

Edit: That was fast.

Ken Rosenthal

BREAKING: Sale to #RedSox. Moncada, Kopech and two other prospects to #WhiteSox.

zulux21

I need trader Dave to unload. Preferably one of Bradley/Benintendi to go along with Moncada.

Edit: That was fast.

Ken Rosenthal

BREAKING: Sale to #RedSox. Moncada, Kopech and two other prospects to #WhiteSox.

I wonder who the other two are.
but at the very least I think I like the two included here better than the nats package.

yes the 19 year old maybe has a ton of upside...
I can't recall the last time the white sox had someone in their org that was younger than 20 and not a pitcher that even turned out to be decent let alone good....

likely frank thomas.

thus I much prefer Yoan Moncada.

I don't know how to feel about this. Sale is a Hall of Fame talent and it's sad to see a homegrown player of that caliber leave. Hopefully the two other guys are good.

zulux21

I don't know how to feel about this. Sale is a Hall of Fame talent and it's sad to see a homegrown player of that caliber leave. Hopefully the two other guys are good.

it's sad, but at the same time the white sox traded to get one player that will likely be their starting third baseman next year, and another player that will likely be in their bullpen next year and maybe a starter after that.

and that is just what we know. I imagine the other two players aren't just throw aways.

I wish Dombrowski would've moved Moncada and Benintendi, but one's not bad.

Sale and Price at the top of that rotation is going to be a nightmare in the AL East for a little bit, though. :(

Friggz

as a yankees fan im semi glad that we dont need to watch moncada for the next 6+ years. On the other hand we now need to face sale 5 times a year.

What a colossal fuck up it was to not sign moncada.

WHen are they breaking the news that the Yankees traded for trout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom