• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Sale, Scherzer, Strasburg....lol. Hope Strasburg can stay healthy. Id like to see 2 starters record 250K

it will be interesting to see if sale can get back up to 250 Ks with his new approach. I imagine he would though given he still got 233 last year.

as to what I am referring. He said from the start of the season he was aiming for higher contact and lower strike outs, and only pulling out harder pitches when he was in trouble aka more of a verlander approach then just flame balling the whole time.

Syrinx

I mean...getting two of the top 5 pitching prospects in all of baseball is one of the bigger hauls I've seen in a while.

Like I think back to what the Phillies gave up to get Halladay and Lee, and this is way more than either of those trades.

Malvingt2

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1
If deal gets done means #Whitesox moved off elite ready-now youngster like Trea Turner and decided to do best package available

zulux21

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1
If deal gets done means #Whitesox moved off elite ready-now youngster like Trea Turner and decided to do best package available

which seems to fit rumblings.

the white sox were originally rumored to be targeting players that would be ready this year or next... but now are sounding more like they are going into full rebuild targeting players ready in 2-3 years.

Doesn't matter. You don't judge baseball trades in hindsight, gotta judge the trade on the pieces right now.

Robles is the #1 prospect in baseball. Giolito isn't far behind him. Add in another top-10 prospect and that's a fleecing and a half. The #1 prospect in baseball is worth a TON.

what?

Malvingt2

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale
The #WhiteSox say they're still having trade talks with several teams about Chris Sale, and no deal with #Nats or anyone expected tonight.

oh? hmm

Friggz

it will be interesting to see if sale can get back up to 250 Ks with his new approach. I imagine he would though given he still got 233 last year.

as to what I am referring. He said from the start of the season he was aiming for higher contact and lower strike outs, and only pulling out harder pitches when he was in trouble aka more of a verlander approach then just flame balling the whole time.

i recall him saying that. hes also moving to a weaker league and gets to face pitchers, and the mets, phillies, and braves. lol.

zulux21

i recall him saying that. hes also moving to a weaker league and gets to face pitchers, and the mets, phillies, and braves. lol.
yeah facing pitchers alone should help get those 17 he missed out on

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale
The #WhiteSox say they're still having trade talks with several teams about Chris Sale, and no deal with #Nats or anyone expected tonight.

oh? hmm

also not surprising. these rumors are coming out, they will want to see if some other team wants to go even higher.
you don't get a trade chip like chris sale very often.

though to be fair Quintana is just as good as him, just doesn't get run support or quite as many strike outs so it won't be like the white sox are missing an Ace left hander unless they move him as well, but I doubt quintana goes anywhere given how little people seem to notice him they won't get a package worth him.

When the 2017 lists start dropping he'll be the #1 or, at worst, #2-3 depending on how people look at Crawford and Moancada.

He's a 19 year old 5 tool player who hit .285 across low and high A ball last year while playing plus and flashing plus plus defense.

i didn't think he was that high

zulux21

so if they do finish the trade I wonder where the other white sox players end up

for sure moved
David Robertson
Todd Frazier
Melky Cabrera

likely moved
Jose Abreu
Miguel Gonzalez

likely moved at the trade deadline after they have had a chance to rebuild their value
James Shields
Brett Lawrie

the rest of the roster isn't in any need to be traded during a rebuild or isn't worth talking about unless they have a break out season.

I highly doubt
Jose Quintana
or Adam Eaton

move even during the rebuild as both have enough time left to be useful in 2-3 years and both won't return enough to be worth what they are actually worth as neither gets nearly enough coverage for their talent levels.

zulux21

Nats blowing a late Game 6 lead in the NLCS against the Giants due to bullpen management decisions would be awesome.

the curse was broken, there won't be any giants facing nats in the next 10 years.
payment demands that the giants can't make the playoffs for another 10 years.

Mortemis

Banned
Payment demands the Giants to donate their even-year magic luck to a charitable MLB organization.

The Mariners would like some, please and thank you.

Malo

Banned
Just going all in like the Phillies did half a decade ago it seems.
Except the Nationals are a lot younger than those Phillies were.

If this deal goes down, who has the better rotation. Nats or Mets? I think I'd give the slight edge to the nats.

If this deal goes down, who has the better rotation. Nats or Mets? I think I'd give the slight edge to the nats.

Stras's complete inability to stay healthy makes it a wash I think.

Depends on if Wheeler comes back or not.

Syrinx

True.

I think the Nats probably have the slight advantage but health will obviously be a huge part of it.

Malo

Banned
Stras's complete inability to stay healthy makes it a wash I think.

Depends on if Wheeler comes back or not.
I feel like there's more significant injury risks with the Mets rotation (Matz, Wheeler, Harvey) than there is with the nats. Not to say that there isn't any with the nats because there clearly is (Strasburg, Ross).

Mets/Nats series are going to be even more fun to watch.

I feel like there's more injury risks with the Mets rotation (Matz, Wheeler, Harvey) than there is with the nats. Not to say that there isn't any with the nats because there clearly is (Strasburg, Ross).

Harvey isn't really an injury risk, he had a congenital condition that lead to him having TOS, but all reports are that he'll be back by spring training and that he's been looking good throwing. Other than that he's had TJS but no other major health risks.

I think Dusty demanding Sale lean on his slider and work deeper into games will definitely have an impact on him.

Matz I'll give you though, Wheeler is a wildcard.

Syrinx

I feel like there's more injury risks with the Mets rotation (Matz, Wheeler, Harvey) than there is with the nats. Not to say that there isn't any with the nats because there clearly is (Strasburg, Ross).

Thing with the Mets also is organizational depth. They lost Matz, Harvey, deGrom last year but still got to the wild card since guys like Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman stepped up and pitched great.

Malo

Banned
This is why I'm glad we're trying to rebuild with position players instead of starting pitching, it's just too risky.

Malo

Banned
Mets are working on rebuilding with position players, our top prospects are almost entirely bats.
Outside of Rosario, what other position prospects do they have that are high end? Legit curious. I don't know much of the Mets farm outside of Rosario and Smith.

Outside of Rosario, what other position prospects do they have that are high end? Legit curious. I don't know much of the Mets farm outside of Rosario and Smith.

Desmond Lindsay was our first pick a few years ago, solid tools, good athlete, Thomas Nido is a catcher who exploded in AA last year, should be in the Majors by September. Wulimer Beccera is the last guy from the Dickey trade, hit for a good average but no power at all least year with a bum shoulder, power should hopefully develop. And Gavin Cecchini got a cup of coffee in the bigs last year and looked okay. None of them are "high end" but they're all major league level guys.

It's not the best or the deepest system, but there is talent there and we'll add more through trades of back end players. Rosario and Smith are good enough to carry the other younger players while we supplement more and more.

RBH

With the obvious caveat that plenty can change between now and then (up to and including the next collective bargaining agreement), this is a list of just some of the guys eligible for free agency after the 2018 season:

Infielders
Manny Machado
Josh Donaldson
Dee Gordon
Jose Iglesias

Outfielders
Jason Heyward *
Bryce Harper
Andrew McCutchen
A.J. Pollock
Michael Brantley
Adam Jones

Starting pitchers
David Price *
Clayton Kershaw *
Matt Harvey
Dallas Keuchel
Shelby Miller
Garrett Richards
Jose Quintana

Closers
Craig Kimbrel
Trevor Rosenthal
Andrew Miller

* Can opt out of current contract after 2018 season
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/159474948/mlb-could-see-even-bigger-deals-in-2018/

so if they do finish the trade I wonder where the other white sox players end up

for sure moved
David Robertson
Todd Frazier
Melky Cabrera

likely moved
Jose Abreu
Miguel Gonzalez

likely moved at the trade deadline after they have had a chance to rebuild their value
James Shields
Brett Lawrie

the rest of the roster isn't in any need to be traded during a rebuild or isn't worth talking about unless they have a break out season.

I highly doubt
Jose Quintana
or Adam Eaton

move even during the rebuild as both have enough time left to be useful in 2-3 years and both won't return enough to be worth what they are actually worth as neither gets nearly enough coverage for their talent levels.

Nate Jones is a guy who should hold a fair bit of value along with Jennings. Tthey are cheap and controllable bullpen arms.

But I could also see the Sox adding Castillo, Gomez/Revere and Alvarez and giving it one more shot next year.. They have to be blown away to trade Sale and I think a deal will not happen this year.

BigAT

Cusamano stated Heyward did not give a glowing review of his time here.

Adds to the other rumors that Matheny is just a fun guy to be around.

I would also think the way BFIB treated Heyward on his way out probably did nothing to improve his impressions of the team.

BFIB

I would also think the way BFIB treated Heyward on his way out probably did nothing to improve his impressions of the team.
I really don't get it. The Cards offered him more than Chicago did. He wanted to be a part of history. He was here one season and the BFIB took it harder than Pujols leaving.

Listening to MLB talk about how they always suspected Bautista and Encarnacion would struggle to find a new team, 5 weeks after they said they wouldn't. 🤔

I really don't get it. The Cards offered him more than Chicago did. He wanted to be a part of history. He was here one season and the BFIB took it harder than Pujols leaving.
The money aspect is precisely why many took it more personally. I don't think many fans were as upset about Albert leaving once the details of the contract were revealed. At least he had many millions of reasons to leave. Plus, the 2011 championship softened the blow quite a bit.

Whereas Hayward left to a hated rival and one that eliminated the Cards the previous postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom