• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
as a yankees fan im semi glad that we dont need to watch moncada for the next 6+ years. On the other hand we now need to face sale 5 times a year.

What a colossal fuck up it was to not sign moncada.

WHen are they breaking the news that the Yankees traded for trout?

What kind of a return would it take to get Trout? 3-4 top prospects, virgin sacrifices, a starter and sexual favors on tap?

zulux21

Considering how cheap Sales deal is, I'm thinking Turner now.

to be fair we don't know who else is included right now.

if they are nobodies then yes sale was cheap, but I can't imagine they aren't at least top 25 orginization prospects.

BFIB

to be fair we don't know who else is included right now.

if they are nobodies then yes sale was cheap, but I can't imagine they aren't at least top 25 orginization prospects.
Dealin Dom cares nothing for prospects.

I also meant Sales contract. It's team friendly.

zulux21

That seems kinda light? At least Moncada is gone.

yeah... not real happy here. I mean it's not a horrible trade on paper, but I really feel like they could have gotten more.

I think I give the red sox the win on this trade at this moment. And I have to wonder what went on with the nats.

I am wondering our resident White Sox fans, do you like the Sawx deal better or the Nats rumored offer? I'm not sure which one I'd rather have tbh. Giolito's injury concerns would have worried me.

zulux21

It's a good baseball trade. White Sox in full on rebuild now, let's get Eaton Mo!

I highly doubt eaton moves, his contract length puts him in the untouchable range that was talked about before hand.

even if they rebuild for the next 2 years eaton would still have 3 years with the team after that.

I am wondering our resident White Sox fans, do you like the Sawx deal better or the Nats rumored offer? I'm not sure which one I'd rather have tbh. Giolito's injury concerns would have worried me.

I like the base two players better.

the white sox have always been good at developing pitching, not so much bats.
thus if I am going to get one near ready player and one a couple years away I would much rather have the couple years away player be a pitcher rather than a bat.

plus third base has been an issue for the white sox for a long time. as long as he sticks there the white sox should have a solid left side of the infield with Yoan Moncada and tim anderson.

and trading is far from done.

so right now you have a 3rd baseman, a short stop, and a right fielder (adam eaton) as well as an ace (quintana who in general is on par with sale just gets no respect :p) and another solid lefty in rodon.

I imagine the white sox will be targeting a CF and a catcher (though their top draft pick last year was one, I still see him likely switching to first base) with their remaining trade chips.

I have a feeling jose abreu will be shipped for a first baseman that looks solid but isn't quite ready.

I like Moncada as the centerpiece(duh) but I think they should have gotten more quantity. I mean Tyler fucking Thornburg landed the Brewers 4 guys.
But I prefer BOS offer to WAS because the White Sox desperately need some impact bats in the high minors. They develop pitching just fine and Tobles is too far away from the big leagues to have confindence in the Sox getting anything out of him.

Dombrowski

I don't love it, but I get it.

I do think that out of Moncada and the Killer Bs, Moncada was the most likely to be dealt just for the simple fact that he's not ready to play next year and he doesn't quite have a position settled.

zulux21

Moncada is not a ss, he'll be a second baseman.

tim anderson is a short stop. meoncada is listed as a third baseman.

if he ends up being 2nd that is fine. white sox need that as well :p

that would be a speedy middle infield if he ended up at second.

If you're Bos, are you not still really worried about your ability to produce runs?

You lose Ortiz, and now you are banking on Sandoval to somehow return to Giants form (I really don't see it happening, though Shaw wasn't amazing either) and Betts to have a comparable if not better year than last year.

I get the thinking that better pitching and relief means you need to score less runs to win, but that lineup doesn't inspire confidence.

Doogdogg

Moncada is a big prospect, but to get a talent like Sale, parting with your top is prerequisite.

I like Kopech, I feel he could be an immediate impact in the bullpen, that's how pitchers gets their first taste of the bigs to start out.

Sale for 3 bargain year is a good trade off, some might call that a steal since Boston gives up no MLB starting pieces.

zulux21

[KoRp]Jazzman;226118749 said:
If you're Bos, are you not still really worried about your ability to produce runs?

You lose Ortiz, and now you are banking on Sandoval to somehow return to Giants form (I really don't see it happening, though Shaw wasn't amazing either) and Betts to have a comparable if not better year than last year.

I get the thinking that better pitching and relief means you need to score less runs to win, but that lineup doesn't inspire confidence.

the offseason is far from over, and from what I am reading the red sox are still talking with the white sox.

they seem to want abreu as well.
wouldn't be surprised if fraiser is also in discussions.

the offseason is far from over, and from what I am reading the red sox are still talking with the white sox.

Frazier would look really good in the lineup, though I would have to imagine salary is getting a little tight.

Considering Dombrowski has said damn the torpedos to any prospects he has, getting Abreu could be a cheaper option then splurging on Encarnacion.

As a White Sox fan I am stunned and overjoyed. For us to get the #1 prospect in all of baseball in Moncada, plus their #5 in Kopech, their #8 in Basabe, and their #28th in Diaz thrown in for good measure is ABSURD. Dumbrowski's lost his damn mind, and Rick Hahn worked some serious voodoo magic to pull this off.

This is seriously tremendous. Fully expect Todd Frazier to be moved now to make room for Moncada. David Robertson and Jose Abreu are also on the block.

BRING ON THE FULL REBUILD!!!!

BFIB

As a White Sox fan I am stunned and overjoyed. For us to get the #1 prospect in all of baseball in Moncada, plus their #5 in Kopech, their #8 in Basabe, and their #28th in Diaz thrown in for good measure is ABSURD. Dumbrowski's lost his damn mind, and Rick Hahn worked some serious voodoo magic to pull this off.

This is seriously tremendous. Fully expect Todd Frazier to be moved now to make room for Moncada. David Robertson and Jose Abreu are also on the block.

Nats got played. Got a feeling this is what Hahn wanted from the start.

zulux21

anyone with less than 2 years of control needs to be gone by the end of the off season.

except for shields unless you get someone is trading for him and missed last year lol.

shields needs to stay on the team and given all the time he needs to figure it out again and then you trade him.

since you are rebuilding there isn't any good reason to part ways with shields before giving him a chance to become worth something agian.

heck if I am the white sox I work on signing a bunch of come back type players and see if they can get some of them to get value by the trade deadline.

I am looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

BFIB

No Sale? We have a pitcher for you called Jose Quintana.

White Sox insider says about Sale btw. : There is a reason they were ok with dealing him. Dude is a dickface
I meant he wanted Moncada. I think he leveraged the Nats to get Dombroski to bite.

zulux21

No Sale? We have a pitcher for you called Jose Quintana.

White Sox insider says about Sale btw. : There is a reason they were ok with dealing him. Dude is a dickface

to be fair most good players are dicks :p

I highly doubt the white sox trade quintana though unless the nats turn around and give them the package they were going to give for sale.

Quintana should have just as much value as sale, he just doesn't because he has been in sale's shadow. give him a season to shine.

I mean it's not like run support can get much worse for him even if the team is gutted lol.

I wonder if the Red Sox trade Bucholz or Pomeranz to recoup some prospects.

They don't absolutely have to, they still have Devers and Groome. And Andrew Benintendi who would be the #1 prospect in all of baseball easily. Yeah the rest of the system blows, but they don't have many holes. They can just hoard these guys and fuck the world.

Chris mothefucking Sale is the best pitcher in the AL.

Verlander, Kluber, Tanaka, Porcello, Hamels and Quintana all say hello. Hell man, put Michael Fulmer on that list too why don't you. And JA Happ just because it's Tuesday.

Oh wait, you probably thought David Price was the best pitcher in the AL when the Red Sox picked him up too?

OVERPAY.

Malo

Banned
id rather extend tanaka. im on the trade dellin and sign both jensen and chapman boat.

sign otani
harper
machado

then ill be happy in 2019. lol
We both know Hal isn't going to spend big on two relievers especially when Betances is going to be making peanuts compared to Chapman and Jansen. As for Tanaka, I rather not. He's going to opt out if healthy, he'll require at least another 7 year contract and his elbow might be a ticking time bomb.
Reminder that the Red Sox paid $62 million just to sign Moncada.
Please don't. I'm still salty over that.

zulux21

You think Dombroski cares? Watch him trade the number one prospect in three years to get Moncada back.

He won't be happy until all his chips are spent.

unless the white sox trade him before this offseason is over, I don't think I am a fan of that case.

as if he is good enough to get the number one prospect in 3 years that likely means the white sox would want him in their line up for their 2020 world series run trying to win it back to back 2019 and 2020 :p

Verlander, Kluber, Tanaka, Porcello, Hamels and Quintana all say hello. Hell man, put Michael Fulmer on that list too why don't you. And JA Happ just because it's Tuesday.

Oh wait, you probably thought David Price was the best pitcher in the AL when the Red Sox picked him up too?

OVERPAY.

it is weird seeing someone else give respect to Quintata.

and in case I don't say it enough.

thanks yankees for him as you giving up on him was the only reason the white sox got him :p

OVERPAY.

Chris Sale averaged 5.5 wins as a starter. Only Kluber and Quintana are really close.

OVERPAY.

Chris Sale is IMHO a better pitcher than all of these guys and he's nearly 4 years younger than David Price and is signed for 3 more low cost years.

Beckx

Rob Arthur:

‏@No_Little_Plans
Sale is the rare player who could always make a terrible team watchable. Sorry I won't get to see as many of his starts.

‏@No_Little_Plans
Seems like a decent haul, but I am deeply skeptical about trading with Dombrowski.

‏@No_Little_Plans
He's shown a consistent and statistically significant ability to get more value out of trades than he gives up.

Beckx

Jim Allen (sportswriter in Japan / covers NPB, etc. for Japanese outlets like Kyodo News) on the CBA:

@JballAllen
So essentially, the CBA violates the posting agreement with NPB.
@Ken_Rosenthal 13m13 minutes ago
MLB officials met today with int’t scouting directors. Said flatly, “There is no Otani exception.”

@Ken_Rosenthal
Otani is 22. CBA would need to be modified to allow him to negotiate with teams that pay posting fee. MLB not currently inclined to do that.

Dombrowski doesn't give a shit about "overpaying". He's got a proven track record of giving up whatever it takes to get his guy.

And while Boston isn't New York, he still has a mandate to field a contending team every season.

Not a shock to see him dent the Red Sox long-term prospects a bit to improve their short term chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom