• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Full rebuild time for the White Sox, I image several guys just became available with the Sale deal completed

the only players that I can't see being traded off the white sox active roster would be

Carson Fulmer
Jose Quintana
Carlos Rodon
Tim Anderson
Adam Eaton
(james shields but only because he needs to rebuild his value)

the rest of the roster I could easily see moving including but not limited to
Miguel Gonzalez (solid 4th starter last year)
Nate Jones (good right handed reliever)
Dan Jennings (good left handed reliever)
Tommy Kahnle (had a good 2016 as a right handed reliever)
Zach Putnam (good right handed reliever)
David Robertson (well known closer)
Jose Abreu (solid hitter)
Todd Frazier (one year rental but high power decent defense)
Melky Cabrera (pretty decent left fielder)

Beckx

i wonder if NPB upper level management is quietly happy, since it might keep Ohtani around longer. it's really a one-off situation since almost all posted players are at least 25 when posted. meanwhile the Uehara rule exists to blacklist players who skip NPB and go straight to MLB.

but the next Ohtani will think long and hard before making the decision he did. i suspect the Fighters and their manager are not necessarily happy about this, because their deal with Ohtani was based on the mutual understanding they were giving him a better route to MLB than coming over as an unproven 18 year old. Kuriyama in particular has talked a lot about how he approached the whole thing as an ambassador (when other teams had given up) and thinking "what's best for Ohtani." now this happens. betting he is very unhappy with this. i wonder if other teams will also have the same concern: what might be good for NPB will dent their ability to sign the next once-in-a-generation star.

really bad situation. all in the name of MLB owners finding more ways to screw international talent.

Friggz

Jim Allen (sportswriter in Japan / covers NPB, etc. for Japanese outlets like Kyodo News) on the CBA:

how is the MLB so fucking stupid? Otani is exactly the type of player the MLB should be begging to play stateside. Jesus christ.

the only players that I can't see being traded off the white sox active roster would be

Carson Fulmer
Jose Quintana
Carlos Rodon
Tim Anderson
Adam Eaton

Looks like there have already been talks with Frazier to the Dodgers and Abreu to the Rockies

i wonder if NPB upper level management is quietly happy, since it might keep Ohtani around longer. it's really a one-off situation since almost all posted players are at least 25 when posted. meanwhile the Uehara rule exists to blacklist players who skip NPB and go straight to MLB.

but the next Ohtani will think long and hard before making the decision he did. i suspect the Fighters and their manager are not necessarily happy about this, because their deal with Ohtani was based on the mutual understanding they were giving him a better route to MLB than coming over as an unproven 18 year old. Kuriyama in particular has talked a lot about how he approached the whole thing as an ambassador (when other teams had given up) and thinking "what's best for Ohtani." now this happens. betting he is very unhappy with this. i wonder if other teams will also have the same concern: what might be good for NPB will dent their ability to sign the next once-in-a-generation star.

really bad situation. all in the name of MLB owners finding more ways to screw international talent.

Again, it bears repeating: MLB and the PA doesn't care about you unless you are playing in the league now

Doubly so if you are Korean, Japanese or Latin American.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I think the White Sox made a good deal. A big-time hitting and pitching prospect, plus a couple of younger players. Plus Sale is a bit of a headcase.

Carson Fulmer
Jose Quintana
Carlos Rodon
Tim Anderson
Adam Eaton

I actually think Eaton's also easily tradable. His defensive ratings and 4 WAR are likely the highest it's ever going to be. Sell high on him now.

Abreu is going to turn 30 next month. Is he going to be the player he was in his first two years (awesome) or continue the trend from this past season (awful)? Plus, he's a sub-par defensive player.

Frazier has to be moved. No real sense in log jamming the in-field with all this new talent now for a player who only really hits home runs or strikes out.

"remember when sale "broke his foot jumping off a truck"? That was b.s"

Jesus Christ, the dirty laundry always gets aired after a trade.

clemenx

Banned
Again, it bears repeating: MLB and the PA doesn't care about you unless you are playing in the league now

Doubly so if you are Korean, Japanese or Latin American.

I mean, yeah but this isn't some random 16yo kid. I highly doubt Otani wouldn't be extremely good for the business and that owners/whoever don't know it. It's insane they're actively aren't looking for a workaround for him.

Probably good for the markets who have no hopes at him but fuck. It's Otani! He needs to be in MLB.

Fuck Boston.

image.php

Beckx

I mean, yeah but this isn't some random 16yo kid. I highly doubt Otani wouldn't be extremely good for the business and that owners/whoever don't know it. It's insane they're actively aren't looking for a workaround for him.

Probably good for the markets who have no hopes at him but fuck. It's Otani! He needs to be in MLB.

years from now we're going to find out that some fuckwits literally didn't want the precedent of paying a young kid from NPB what he was going to get paid.

i mean, what is the universe of 23-25 year olds that they are worried about?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
how is the MLB so fucking stupid? Otani is exactly the type of player the MLB should be begging to play stateside. Jesus christ.

Listen, every time you can pay a Chris Davis $170 million instead of an Otani, you do it. Why? Well... I don't know.

CygnusXS

Yeah I'm pretty sure the entire $31 million was a signing bonus. Is this saying that it was being doled out in installments?

zulux21

I actually think Eaton's also easily tradable. His defensive ratings and 4 WAR are likely the highest it's ever going to be. Sell high on him now.

if they can get a package worth him they might do it, but I don't think they will get an offer worth him. (aka a package for a 5+ WAR player who has 4 years of control left)

as for his ratings being the highest it's ever going to be...
nah... if he gets to play right field the whole time next year it will be as high if not higher.

I really don't know what it is... in center he was okay.
in right... he was an absolute monster catching anything that was hit his way.

I really think he needs one more year for more people to take notice and realize how good of a player he is.

Mortemis

Banned
Man, that's fucking stupid of the MLB. You have a talent like Otani coming over as soon as next year, and you fuck it up just to keep costs low on the international market. Make an exception or something.

Beckx

@JballAllen
It is absolutely BS and thus perfectly in line with the history of MLB decisions. NPB could object, but Yomiuri is probably cheering.

it sounds like Jim is going to check around with some legal experts to see what (if any) loopholes exist.

(Yomiuri = Yomiuri Giants, the most old-school, conservative organization in NPB & the one generally presumed to be holding back a full NPB online service (only the Pacific league has one))

Dombrowski doesn't give a shit about "overpaying". He's got a proven track record of giving up whatever it takes to get his guy.

And while Boston isn't New York, he still has a mandate to field a contending team every season.

Not a shock to see him dent the Red Sox long-term prospects a bit to improve their short term chances
it's more than just a bit

BFIB

Man, that's fucking stupid of the MLB. You have a talent like Otani coming over as soon as next year, and you fuck it up just to keep costs low on the international market. Make an exception or something.
More like using Otani as an example.

CygnusXS

Just for Malo
danny mcgrew
12:26 NYY system the deepest in mlb?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:27 Up top, yes. SD might have the most depth in general. NYY might have like 11 guys on my top 100

I'm not fully sure how contracts work for international players, but according to Bruce Levine on Twitter:

Red Sox paid Moncada $31.8 million over the first three years . The $31.2 was a tax to MLB

So I think Moncada was still owed $31, and usually in trades the teams either agree to share the cost on a remaining or the acquiring team also takes on the remainder of the contract. The fact that that Chicago doesn't have to pay any of that remaining money is just a cherry on top.

Porcello I would think. Gonna be fun watching this group next year.

Porcello has earned it after winning the Cy Young. He will probably won't even come anywhere close to repeating that performance but it's not like being opening day starter matters in the long run.

zulux21

Porcello has earned it after winning the Cy Young. He will probably won't even come anywhere close to repeating that performance but it's not like being opening day starter matters in the long run.

idk, it doesn't hurt to start the season off right.
sale is 4-0 in his opening day starts :p

zulux21

giphy.gif

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 29s29 seconds ago Arlington, VA
#Nationals talked enough to #Whitesox that if want to go for Quintana to bulk up rotation and/or Robertson to close groundwork mostly done

i could see them getting robertson, but as I have said a few times, I just don't see quintana being moved.

Yeah, but two will go down with Tommy John. :)

chris sale and?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom