• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekameohs

Banned
The reason the Red Sox still had Basabe for this deal is perhaps the funniest thing to have ever happened in baseball.

There are 2 Luis Basabes in baseball, they were both signed by the Red Sox, and they're twins. Luis Alexander Basabe is a serious prospect. Luis Alejandro Basabe isn't.

In July, the DBacks traded Brad Ziegler to the Red Sox for a package around Alejandro. It was widely speculated to the point that it's basically proven true based on how blatantly Red Sox friendly the deal was, and the asking price on Ziegler from other teams, that the DBacks got the 2 Basabes confused and thought they were getting Alexander. Oops.
Thanks Stewart!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
Ramos get $12.5M with playing time incentives to make 18.25M over 2 #rays

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The braves got a better package for Shelby than what the white Sox got for Sale. All hail the great Dave Stewart.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not bad. OTOH, if they trade away all their starting pitchers, I'm not sure they need a catcher.

I really don't see them trading Archer. Dude has one of the most team friendly contracts in the league. Cobb and/or Smyly seem like they're getting moved. Don't really get selling on Cobb now, might as well hope he has a good 1st half and move him then.

Love the Ramos signing. Rays haven't had a good catcher... ever so why not.

The braves got a better package for Shelby than what the white Sox got for Sale. All hail the great Dave Stewart.

I prefer Moncada over Swanson but I agree. The amount of damage done by Dave Stewart to an organization is pretty much unprecedented.

Word is CWS want a young catcher in any trade for Eaton

Want Eaton, but don't want Mo to trade Carson Kelly. Without him, no idea what Cardinals do when Yadi is done

Word is CWS want a young catcher in any trade for Eaton

Want Eaton, but don't want Mo to trade Carson Kelly. Without him, no idea what Cardinals do when Yadi is done

I think people underestimate how insanely valuable Eaton is. He is basically the good version of Jason Heyward at a fraction of the cost. Reyes would have to be included or 3 of the No. 2-5. prospects to really entertain the idea of trading him right now.
Fwiw he was 1 win better than Sale last year.

I think people underestimate how insanely valuable Eaton is. He is basically the good version of Jason Heyward at a fraction of the cost. Reyes would have to be included or 3 of the No. 2-5. prospects to really entertain the idea of trading him right now.
Fwiw he was 1 win better than Sale last year.

He's very valuable, but has a lot of questions. He'd be the good version of Heyward if he had repeatedly churned out 6 win seasons based on good defense and a 115-120 wRC. But he just has last year. How much do people buy that last year's Eaton is who he actually is?

If CWS are expecting Reyes or any org's equivalent prospect for Eaton, then he won't be moved.

zulux21

He's very valuable, but has a lot of questions. He'd be the good version of Heyward if he had repeatedly churned out 6 win seasons based on good defense and a 115-120 wRC. But he just has last year. How much do people buy that last year's Eaton is who he actually is?

If CWS are expecting Reyes or any org's equivalent prospect for Eaton, then he won't be moved.

if you watched him play last year you would know that defensively that is who he was.

most of his defensive rating came from right field.

in center he is average... in right he was a god teleporting to every damn ball that went that way @_@

also it's not like last year was a fluke, he was really good in 2014 as well.
all signs point to him being legit.

as I said... I really don't see them moving him. no one really respects his talent at this point, so give him another year or two of repeating to really build up his worth as he won't be a free agent until after the 2021 season.

if you watched him play last year you would know that defensively that is who he was.

most of his defensive rating came from right field.

in center he is average... in right he was a god teleporting to every damn ball that went that way @_@

also it's not like last year was a fluke, he was really good in 2014 as well.
all signs point to him being legit.

as I said... I really don't see them moving him. no one really respects his talent at this point, so give him another year or two of repeating to really build up his worth as he won't be a free agent until after the 2021 season.

He was pretty bad at CF, though, not average. I don't know how many outfielders go from below average in CF to elite Heyward-esque in a corner. I guess it's possible, but just seems unlikely to me.

zulux21

He was pretty bad at CF, though, not average. I don't know how many outfielders go from below average in CF to elite Heyward-esque in a corner. I guess it's possible, but just seems unlikely to me.

nah he was pretty average... in 2014 he had a 1.8 dwar and other solid stats in center. he was below average in 2015, but in general he has been average in CF.

but yeah I don't know why, but in right field he had amazing reads and just got to everything. he didn't look like the same player at all. it was consistent during the entire time he was playing right so it wasn't a fluke for a few games. I don't know what he figured out, but he figured out something.

nah he was pretty average... in 2014 he had a 1.8 dwar and other solid stats in center. he was below average in 2015, but in general he has been average in CF.

but yeah I don't know why, but in right field he had amazing reads and just got to everything. he didn't look like the same player at all. it was consistent during the entire time he was playing right so it wasn't a fluke for a few games. I don't know what he figured out, but he figured out something.

bWAR and fWAR tell a different story about defense I guess. At best, he was average in CF. At worst, he was bad. Just not sure I buy one season's (fewer than 1000 innings) worth of defensive rating in a corner to be the new normal for Eaton.

I think Adam Eaton is really good. I just dont buy "Adam Eaton, 6 win outfielder." I'd bet on something like 3-3.5, which is still a well above average player! But very different than 6. 6 WAR was roughly a top 10 position player last season.

(If I were the Cardinals, I'd do something like Luke Weaver, Harrison Bader, and a couple other prospects not named Reyes or Carson Kelly.)

thefro

Rosenthal reporting the Royals and Cubs are close to swapping Wade Davis and Jorge Soler.

Wish we'd get a starter for Soler but he's obviously not going to regain his value being a part-time player on the bench. Still think he's got a chance to bust out with regular playing time & the Cubs still have 4 yrs of control (although it's not super-duper-cheap).

zulux21

I think Adam Eaton is really good. I just dont buy "Adam Eaton, 6 win outfielder." I'd bet on something like 3-3.5, which is still a well above average player! But very different than 6. 6 WAR was roughly a top 10 position player last season.

baseball reference has him at 5.1 WAR per season over the last 3 seasons.
his lowest WAR was 3.9 last season
in 2014 he was 5.2 and this season was 6.2.

If you want to believe he is only a 3-3.5 you can, but clearly he is not.

I'm not saying he is a 6 either, but clearly more like a 5 then 3.

baseball reference has him at 5.1 WAR per season over the last 3 seasons.
his lowest WAR was 3.9 last season
in 2014 he was 5.2 and this season was 6.2.

If you want to believe he is only a 3-3.5 you can, but clearly he is not.

I'm not saying he is a 6 either, but clearly more like a 5 then 3.

Fangraphs had him at 3.7 and 3.1 before this season (which was 6). Just depends on the valuation you use for defense.

Malo

Banned
Barry Svrluga

Nats on Sale: This morning, they were willing to add Lopez to a package of Giolito and Robles. A huge haul. White Sox chose Moncada et al.
I like that package better than the red sox one.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I like Moncada a lot more than Robles personally, Giolito rates a bit better than Kopech, and Lopez isn't much for me.

I think I'd take Moncada and run.

Malo

Banned
I side more with fp on Robles. I like Moncada better, but not by much. I was hoping to get him for Miller. And I like Lopez better than Giolito and Kopech.

I wonder what package the white soxs fans here would have preferred.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm a fan of Lopez unlike Kopech, and rate Robles fairly highly. Not as high as Moncada, but not a whole lot different. I think I like the Nat's package a bit better.

zulux21

I side more with fp on Robles. I like Moncada better, but not by much. I was hoping to get him for Miller. And I like Lopez better than Giolito and Kopech.

I wonder what package the white soxs fans here would have preferred.

I prefer the boston package.

Even if Robles ends up better than Moncada, with the current state of the white sox farm that wouldn't be true if he ended up with the white sox.

as I said earlier, I can't think of a white sox position player that was in their system below the age of 20 who turned out to be any good at all. They are pretty good at developing pitching, but are horrid when it comes to developing batters. They always end up being high strike out low walk type players in their system :/

so even if I liked the pitching a bit more with the nats package, I would much rather have someone who will likely turn into a high value player on the white sox with Moncada, then someone who would likely only see 100 at bats with a .125 average with the white sox. The pitching will likely turn out decently either way.

Reports going around that the package of players the White Sox wanted from the Braves for Sale was Dansby Swanson, Max Fried, Braxton Davidson, and Josh Graham. The Braves refused to do anything that involved Swanson. There's talk that the Braves offered Ozzie Albies instead, but the White Sox wanted Swanson and that was the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom