• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

Bob Nightengale ✔ @BNightengale
The #Cubs and #Royals have a deal: OF Jorge Soler to #Royals for Wade Davis. Teams examining physicals. Will be announced in morning

Fair deal.

The #Cubs and #Royals have a deal: OF Jorge Soler to #Royals for Wade Davis. Teams examining physicals. Will be announced in morning

Fair deal.

Unless Davismedicals look really bad, the Cubs fleeced the Royals. Soler sucks.

Love the Davis deal. I think Soler turns out to be a solid regular, but it just wasn't going to happen here. Davis for a year and then maybe we can turn to Edwards. Feels good not having to grab one of the FA closers with the amount of money it'd cost.

Beckx

I hope the Japanese media put pressure on the MLB for this.

lol, Japan pressuring MLB?

Jim once asked Bud Selig how his plan to bring baseball to countries without a baseball tradition was going...he cited an exhibition game they held in Japan.

Plus as Jim notes in his article, the Yomiuri Shinbun and associated Yomiuri media properties certainly won't say anything.

Hang up the phone on the Nats

for real

BFIB

Fair deal.

1fiiv5.jpg

kris.

Banned
Man, I'm gonna miss Wade. He definitely wasn't at 100% last year though. We need an outfielder so I'm ok with this trade if it does go down. Soler has a bunch of potential.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
Interesting development; Jays met with Jose Bautista today and are back in talks with him

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
Orioles prefer to keep draft, too, but to explain why Bautista doesn't fit, they told JB camp: O's fans just don't like him

O'Day and Bautista on the same team would have been interesting.

Not surprised. Orioles fans have been hurt by Bautista more than once.

BFIB

Heyman says Ian Desmond is focused on one team and finalizing a deal today. Says he won't be returning to Texas.

I've got a gut feeling he's headed to the Cards. Not sure how I feel about that, I don't see this being a "significant" upgrade, which is what Mo said he wanted to highlight at CF and 3B.

Is there any fanbase that likes Bautista? Even most Jays fans turned on him this year.

I have a soft spot for him even though he says dumb shit.

He has been entertaining and given the Blue Jays some great moments throughout the last few years.

Beckx

@JballAllen
#npb might not just "bend over and take it" -- as one team official labled Japan's usual response to #mlb bullying -- regarding new CBA.

wow

@JballAllen
#npb could give #mlb a much -deserved attitude adjustment by SoftBank plunking down $10 million to sign No. 1 American amateur prospect.

i wonder though, would that kid take Son's big bucks and play in Kyuushu, or be happier taking a league min deal w/ bonus & play in middle america?

Mortemis

Banned
5/70 plus the 11th overall pick for ian desmond to play first base. what in the world

Wtf are you doing Rockies

wow

i wonder though, would that kid take Son's big bucks and play in Kyuushu, or be happier taking a league min deal w/ bonus & play in middle america?

Do it. I think a big prospect could do it. They may get a similar signing bonus, and may hit free agency to get your big pay much earlier.

BFIB

Did NPB shit in Manfred's coffee mug or something? Why have the sudden push for this in the new CBA without going through the proper steps to avoid pitfalls here?

wow

Would probably have to be a college player, right? They'd be closer to 25 when they could be posted. A high school player would have to wait a long time.

zroid

Banned
unless i'm completely missing something that desmond contract is batshit insane

and they gave up the 11th (!!!!) pick too

Did NPB shit in Manfred's coffee mug or something? Why have the sudden push for this in the new CBA without going through the proper steps to avoid pitfalls here?

I honestly believe that the MLB thinks of Japan as a one way street. They want all the spoils, and fuck the NPB for trying to fight it, not realize the posting system is basically a free paycheck to the NPB teams.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
What if, collectively, the MLB owners are a bunch of racist old white dudes who fume at the idea of giving money to foreign kids even if it's good business?

BFIB

I honestly believe that the MLB thinks of Japan as a one way street. They want all the spoils, and fuck the NPB for trying to fight it, not realize the posting system is basically a free paycheck to the NPB teams.

Ah, that makes sense, but Otani is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Joel ShermanVerified account
‏@Joelsherman1

Desmond breakdown $8M in 17 followed by $22M, $15M, $15M, $8M and 2022 club option $15M with $2M buyout #Rockies

Joel ShermanVerified account
‏@Joelsherman1

Desmond also gets $1M assignment bonus if traded and full no-trade rights after a first trade #Rockies
This is insanity.

RBH

ubc7wieqj5w4gk6ksewp.jpg

By pretty much any and every baseball metric, aspiring outfielder Timothy R. Tebow did not have a successful stint in the Arizona Fall League. His .194 batting average (.242 slugging) included 20 strikeouts in 70 plate appearances. But when it comes to attracting interest (guilty) in otherwise meaningless games, Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback, best-selling author, and regular miracle-performer Tim Tebow is a star.

So, frankly, there was never much mystery about which Tebow Mets manager Terry Collins was referring to when he told media members at the Winter Meetings on Tuesday that, “I can tell you, I certainly hope you will see Tim Tebow in some of our [spring training] games.”

Collins praised Tebow as a “big boy” who “know how to win games,” but when pressed about whether the 29-year-old deserves a spring training spot despite a snowball’s chance in H-E-double-hockey-sticks of making the majors, he doubled down on the, hm, ancillary benefits of Tebow mania.

"I will tell you if he’s not in our camp, I’ll get him over. I think he’s a name in Florida. He’s a star in Florida. He should be. I think it would be fun to have Tim come over.

And certainly one thing about our players, they’re athletes, too. They’re fans, too. They would probably like to know how to run a quarterback sneak one day."

God damn it, Mets.
http://deadspin.com/tim-tebows-baseball-career-may-be-resurrected-this-spri-1789784004

BFIB

YST Now ‏@DYST_Now 1h1 hour ago

Trade talks heating up between #Cardinals and #Rockies. Deal centered around Charlie Blackmon and Matt Adams/Michael Wacha "gaining traction"

If this is what the deal is, then fuck, Mo struck gold. Got a feeling its going to cost some prospects though.

Beckx

MLB enacting a rule to block Ohtani while the Mets talk about inviting Tebow to ST is the best summary of MLB, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom