• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stn

That Rockies signing makes no sense unless they make a deal for pitching. Blackmon to the Cards would be great for them.

If I'm a prospect, I'm definitely taking 10 million dollars to play in Japan. You get some worldy experience and you don't have to play in some shit hole in the minor leagues.

Friggz

Posters on the Rockies SB Nation site appear to think this was a good move.

desmond will never take a walk, but zips already projects him as one of the best defensive first basemen in baseball next year. he will probably see a good spike in homers too.

certainly a great deal for desmond.

BigAT

If I'm a prospect, I'm definitely taking 10 million dollars to play in Japan. You get some worldy experience and you don't have to play in some shit hole in the minor leagues.

So if someone took that offer to go play over in Japan out of high school/college, would they be subject to the draft if they came back to the MLB?

YST Now ‏@DYST_Now 1h1 hour ago

Trade talks heating up between #Cardinals and #Rockies. Deal centered around Charlie Blackmon and Matt Adams/Michael Wacha "gaining traction"

If this is what the deal is, then fuck, Mo struck gold. Got a feeling its going to cost some prospects though.

Gross. Blackmon sucks. Adams and Wacha for him, plus potentially more? Huge overpay.

Beckx

So if someone took that offer to go play over in Japan out of high school/college, would they be subject to the draft if they came back to the MLB?

no idea. i wonder how they define "international player" - if it just means someone playing in a foreign league, then they'd fall under those rules i guess? or maybe the rules for players who played US high school/college ball are different? dunno.

how does blackmon suck? matt adams is completely irrelevant and wacha is broken

Because before this year he was a league average offense player with bad defense. Still bad defense this year, but with a higher BABIP and HR/FB% that gave him a career year

Dont buy either of those things continue moving from Coors to Busch. (Then again, last time Cardinals got someone who mostly played in Colorado was Holliday and that worked out pretty well)

Because before this year he was a league average offense player with bad defense. Still bad defense this year, but with a higher BABIP and HR/FB% that gave him a career year

Dont buy either of those things continue moving from Coors to Busch. (Then again, last time Cardinals got someone who mostly played in Colorado was Holliday and that worked out pretty well)

worth 8 wins over the last 3 seasons, and he was not league average offensively in 2014 and 2015. by no measure does he suck. he's nothing great, but he's a good regular.

worth 8 wins over the last 3 seasons, and he was not league average offensively in 2014 and 2015. by no measure does he suck. he's nothing great, but he's a good regular.

Half of those 8 wins came last season.

In 2014, he had a 99 wRC+. In 2015, he had a 101 wRC+. From 2014-2015, he had a 100 wRC+ - which is literally the definition of what a league average offensive player is. If you prefer OPS+, he had 103 and 102, which is marginally above average.

BFIB

2018 is going to be fucking nuts.

Catchers

Drew Butera (35)
Robinson Chirinos (35)
Evan Gattis (32)
Yasmani Grandal (30)
Martin Maldonado (32)
Jeff Mathis (36)
Brian McCann (35) – $15MM club/player option
Devin Mesoraco (31)
Derek Norris (30)
Wilson Ramos (31)
Anthony Recker (35)

First Basemen

Matt Adams (30)
Adrian Gonzalez (37)
Marwin Gonzalez (30)
Joe Mauer (36)
Steve Pearce (36)
Hanley Ramirez (35) – $22MM vesting option
Justin Smoak (32) – $6MM club option with a $250K buyout

Second Basemen

Brian Dozier (32)
Josh Harrison (31) – $10.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
DJ LeMahieu (30)
Daniel Murphy (34)
Sean Rodriguez (34)

Shortstops

Elvis Andrus (30) – can opt out of remaining four years and $58MM
Eduardo Escobar (30)
Freddy Galvis (29)
Adeiny Hechavarria (30)
Jose Iglesias (29)
Jordy Mercer (32)
Jean Segura (29)

Third Basemen

Adrian Beltre (40)
Josh Donaldson (33)
David Freese (36) – $6MM club option with a $500K buyout
Conor Gillaspie (31)
Chase Headley (35)
Jung-ho Kang (32) – $5.5MM club option with a $250K buyout
Manny Machado (26)
Andrew Romine (33)
Brett Wallace (32)

Left Fielders

Nori Aoki (37)
Brett Gardner (35) – $12.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Brandon Guyer (33)
Gerardo Parra (32) – $12MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
Shane Robinson (34)

Center Fielders

Charlie Blackmon (32)
Adam Jones (33)
Leonys Martin (31)
A.J. Pollock (31)
Denard Span (35) – $12MM mutual option with a $4MM buyout

Right Fielders

Lonnie Chisenhall (30)
Bryce Harper (26)
Jason Heyward (29) – can opt out of remaining five years and $106MM
Matt Joyce (34)
Nick Markakis (35)
Hunter Pence (36)
Yasmany Tomas (28) – can opt out of remaining two years and $32.5MM

Designated Hitters

Nelson Cruz (38)
Evan Gattis (32)
Victor Martinez (40)

Starting Pitchers

Carlos Carrasco (32) – $9MM club option with a $663K buyout
Patrick Corbin (29)
A.J. Griffin (31)
Cole Hamels (35) – $20MM club/vesting option with a $6MM buyout
J.A. Happ (36)
Matt Harvey (30)
Scott Kazmir (35)
Clayton Kershaw (31) – can opt out of remaining two years, $65MM
Dallas Keuchel (31)
Tom Koehler (33)
Jeff Locke (31)
Brandon McCarthy (35)
Charlie Morton (35)
Drew Pomeranz (30)
David Price (33) – can opt out of remaining four years and $127MM
Garrett Richards (31)
Hyun-Jin Ryu (32)
Ervin Santana (36) – $14MM club/vesting option
James Shields (37) – $16MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Drew Smyly (30)
Edinson Volquez (35)
Adam Wainwright (37)

Right-Handed Relievers

Cody Allen (30)
Brad Brach (33)
Carter Capps (27)
Randall Delgado (29)
Jeurys Familia (29)
Casey Fien (35)
Kelvin Herrera (29)
Jared Hughes (33)
Jim Johnson (36)
Nate Jones (33) – $555K club option
Shawn Kelley (35)
Joe Kelly (31)
Ryan Madson (38)
Zach McAllister (31)
Mark Melancon (34) – can opt out of remaining two years and $28MM
Adam Ottavino (33)
David Phelps (32)
A.J. Ramos (32)
David Robertson (34)
Hector Rondon (31)
Trevor Rosenthal (29)
Tanner Scheppers (32)
Joakim Soria (35) – $10MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Carlos Torres (36)
Adam Warren (31)
Blake Wood (33)

Left-Handed Relievers

Zach Britton (31)
Jake Diekman (32)
Sean Doolittle (32) – $6MM club option with a $500K buyout
Dana Eveland (35)
Andrew Miller (34)
Robbie Ross (30)
Marc Rzepczynski (33)
Tony Sipp (35)
Justin Wilson (31)

Additionally, the following players will be free agents after the 2018 season if their 2018 contract options are exercised:

Tony Barnette (35)
Michael Brantley (32)
Asdrubal Cabrera (33)
Matt Cain (34)
R.A. Dickey (44)
Andre Ethier (37)
Tyler Flowers (33)
Logan Forsythe (32)
Yovani Gallardo (33)
Matt Garza (35)
Gio Gonzalez (33)
J.J. Hardy (36)
Craig Kimbrel (31)
Ian Kinsler (37)
Jed Lowrie (35)
Andrew McCutchen (32)
Wade Miley (32)
Ricky Nolasco (36)
Glen Perkins (36)
Anibal Sanchez (35)
Chris Stewart (37)
Huston Street (35)
Josh Tomlin (34)

2018 is going to be fucking nuts.

ZTM4S9I.gif

We goin' to eat, fam.

Wader, check please. :( I expect you Cubs mofos to keep that traditional alive when Wadebot comes on in the 9th.

Three of the most dominant consecutive seasons imaginable. Going to miss him tremendously and really think we could've got more than Soler.

In GMDM we trust.

Half of those 8 wins came last season.

In 2014, he had a 99 wRC+. In 2015, he had a 101 wRC+. From 2014-2015, he had a 100 wRC+ - which is literally the definition of what a league average offensive player is. If you prefer OPS+, he had 103 and 102, which is marginally above average.

it's not league average for his position, which is what you should be judging it by

Look at Corey Dickerson.

what about him? He was better in 2016 than in 2015, and hes never been as good as blackmon anyways. blackmons offensive numbers will drop leaving coors, but they'll still be good enough for his position. I wouldn't give up much to get him, but he doesn't suck.

Scott Merkin
@scottmerkin
Source: White Sox working on a deal to send Adam Eaton to the Nationals.

Scott Merkin is the official whitesox.com writer

BFIB

well shit, I didn't know center field was that high right now. you were still wrong to say that he sucks and that a package starting with adams and wacha would be a huge overpay.

has the ship completely sailed with wacha as a starter?

I think there are major concerns over Wacha's shoulder. He needs a strong rebound year, but he's kind of out of a spot here now.

well shit, I didn't know center field was that high right now. you were still wrong to say that he sucks and that a package starting with adams and wacha would be a huge overpay.

has the ship completely sailed with wacha as a starter?

Adams sucks and hes basically irrelevant (as you said) but Wacha probably has more value to the Cardinals than he does in a trade.

He had a sub 4 FIP last season even with a bad ERA, which not coincidentally came with a BABIP-allowed 50 points higher than his career and a LOB% over 10% below his career. The Cardinals defense was just really, really bad last year.

I'm not giving up three seasons of a slightly above average pitcher, plus Adams and other stuff for Blackmon. Last I heard, they were looking to make Wacha into a "super reliever," whatever that means. His shoulder is just a mystery, maybe being in the bullpen would be better for it. But his K and BB rates were in line with his career last year.

This is like your Dodgers postseason predictions every year right?
I'll be right someday!
Marlins sign AJ Ellis.
Kinda thought the Cubs would pick him up to replace David Ross, but man is he awful with the bat now. Surprised he didn't just take a coaching job.
I would've like to see AJ come back to the Dodgers in a coaching role too but I'm sure that'll happen after his time in Miami is over.

Friggz

Thats a ridiculous return for Chicago. Jesus. Good for them.

Nationals are really going all in. Can't wait for Harper to be a Yankee.

Sox have Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Collins, Fulmer, Kopech waiting in the upper minors. That's a nice core going forward. And still have some big assets to trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom