• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick Hahn has turned that system from barren to arguably the best in baseball overnight.

Move Robertson and Fraiser and we're talking ridiculous depth.

Malo

Banned
Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Kopech. Impressive. Trading Quintana will add more high end prospects. They'll have best farm in MLB.

BFIB

The White Sox are building an army to bring the real baseball team in Chicago back to prominence.

Its true storybook fashion to take down those evil Cubbies.

Don't think Quintana gets moved at this point, and Abreu still has 3 years of team control they can ride out.

Robertson and Frazier would be my 2.

Frazier is a no brainer. Robertson and Abreu could be a deadline deal IMO. I still think Quintana gets moved if Houston or the Dodgers are willing to pay up.

edit: Melky is also a solid bat they could move at the deadline.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not really lol. If they got Robertson along with it, maybe.

But they aren't getting RF Adam Eaton, they are getting CF Adam Eaton. For Giolito, Lopez, AND Dane Dunning.

5 years of team control on a proven asset is worth a couple prospects. Its a win now move for a guy who is going to be a cheap asset for the next half decade.

5 years of team control on a proven asset is worth a couple prospects. Its a win now move for a guy who is going to be a cheap asset for the next half decade.

5 years going into his 30's playing a position he's not giving you optimal value and with his defense on an inevitable decline.

That's not worth what the Nats gave up, Rizzo blinked because he whiffed on Sale. Win now moves don't just occur in a vacuum, and they aren't inherently "more" valuable than a move with long term thinking in mind.

They just took a huge cut of the top of their farm system AND the future of their rotation which is now woefully lacking depth.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anthony DiComo ‏@AnthonyDiComo
Sandy Alderson estimated the Mets' current payroll at $150 million. He expects the team to be lower than that on Opening Day.

Awesome.

Malo

Banned
Will Eaton be a 6 win player again now that he's moving back to cf? No, but he should still be 3 to 4 win player. And they have 5 years of team friendly control. Also, Werth is a FA after next season, you can slide Eaton over to lf in 2018.

I like the move for both teams.

Jorge Castillo ‏@jorgeccastillo 8m8 minutes ago
The Nationals offered Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, and Robles for Chris Sale. They just traded Giolito, Lopez, and Dunning for Adam Eaton.

Oh and to get you guys to understand how badly Theo got one over on the Royals.

They asked Sandy for Dom Smith or Rosario in return for Davis.

And Theo got him for Soler.

Malo

Banned
Oh and to get you guys to understand how badly Theo got one over on the Royals.

They asked Sandy for Dom Smith or Rosario in return for Davis.

And Theo got him for Soler.
We got a better return for two months Chapman than the royals got for one season of Wade.

BFIB

The Nationals offered Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, and Robles for Chris Sale. They just traded Giolito, Lopez, and Dunning for Adam Eaton.

Well...this is what a weak FA class will get you. That is nuts.

We got a better return for two months Chapman than the royals got for one season of Wade.

And a healthy Wade is better.

Oh and, one last thing, buddy at the winter meetings just texted me "All anybody is talking about right now is the Ian Desmond move, not one person understands it, some idle off-hand chatter of the Monfort's being 'in over their heads'".

So there's that.

Will Eaton be a 6 win player again now that he's moving back to cf? No, but he should still be 3 to 4 win player. And they have 5 years of team friendly control. Also, Werth is a FA after next season, you can slide Eaton over to lf in 2018.

Positional adjustment is already baked in to WAR, so it shouldnt move at all unless Eaton is an elite corner outfielder and an average-to below average CF, which is possible but doesn't seem as likely as small sample size defensive rating propping up his 2016.

Still, like this for the Nats and Sox. Rizzo is a good trader.

rando14

UGH I wish the Marniners had assets worth trading, such a crap FA class so prospects are flying all over the place!!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

So... they got Ender Inciarte basically?

That Eaton deal is crazy. Good offseason for them. Things really lined up perfect. They didn't have a team that could be competitive, but had great trade assets in a year when not much is out there in FA. Move Quintana as well while teams are still desperate for SPs. I wasn't sure the ChiSox would ever be able to fully rebuild since fans don't show up to games when they're trying to compete, but with this many high impact prospects that are big league ready or close the team will be interesting to watch.

Still. Nats paid all that for him, and we got Ender tossed in like he was a muffin basket. Quite the thing.

1411588005000-9-24-stewart.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
Mariners are talking to SFGiants about Chris heston. Sea needs a SP.

Positional adjustment is already baked in to WAR, so it shouldnt move at all unless Eaton is an elite corner outfielder and an average-to below average CF, which is possible but doesn't seem as likely as small sample size defensive rating propping up his 2016.

Still, like this for the Nats and Sox. Rizzo is a good trader.

Eaton as a RF
1008.2 Innings, 24 DRS, 24.7 UZR, 26.1 UZR/150

Eaton as a CF
3115.1 Innings, -8 DRS, -21 UZR, -8.7 UZR/150

1/3rd the innings is still a fairly decent SS.

He's markedly worse.

Malvingt2

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
The concern now for teams that want #WhiteSox's Quintana: The acquisition cost will be exorbitant, given what CWS pulled off last two days.

Please Braves stay away.... stay away...... far away!!

Eaton as a RF
1008.2 Innings, 24 DRS, 24.7 UZR, 26.1 UZR/150

Eaton as a CF
3115.1 Innings, -8 DRS, -21 UZR, -8.7 UZR/150

Read what was directly after what you bolded. 1000 innings is not a big enough sample size for defensive metrics.

You typically want 2.5+ years, roughly 3000 innings when looking at defensive value. 1 year of UZR data is worth the same as 50-55 games for offensive data.

If Eaton can pull off elite corner defense the next two years, then I'll believe it. But for now, I'd believe him to be more of an above average corner outfielder based on his CF and RF data. It's too soon to say that he is as good as prime Jason Heyward.

Stroman won't be traded, I guarantee it.

Even though at best, Stroman is a second level starter, he is by committee the ace of the staff. And even alongside that, we don't need another fielder. We need starting pitching.

And besides, basically anything Morosi posts either doesn't come to fruition or is BS. He's a hack, as far as I'm concerned.

Moving on from Sale and Eaton also signals a significant change in clubhouse culture.
They were the "duck dynasty" kind of guys and now the team has latinos like Abreu and Quintana as leading voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom