• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Casey SternVerified account
‏@CaseyStern
Consensus on the floor here from GM's: As bad a panic move as they've seen at the meetings.

Casey Stern ‏@CaseyStern 27m27 minutes ago Washington, DC
In my 13 Winter Meetings, even when Pujols signed with Angels, I've never seen commotion like there is right now after this Nats deal.

RBH

Casey SternVerified account
‏@CaseyStern
Consensus on the floor here from GM's: As bad a panic move as they've seen at the meetings.

Casey Stern ‏@CaseyStern 27m27 minutes ago Washington, DC
In my 13 Winter Meetings, even when Pujols signed with Angels, I've never seen commotion like there is right now after this Nats deal.

:) :)

Scott Krinch @scottiekrinch
The #WhiteSox turned Hector Santiago (a 30th round pick) into the No. 3 and No. 38 prospect, and Nats 2016 first-round pick.

For the record I'm higher on Lopez than on Giolito. But even if Giolito is a middle of the rotation guy there is a LOT to like about this deal.

RBH

Lol, who wants that bum?

635911549283068265-dbacks.jpg

Sox & Astros are far along in a deal for Quintana according to Phil Rogers MLB Network

Rogers is a hack though

Rick Hahn with the shit eating grin on MLBN right now.

Regardless of what the Quintana return will be, I will be sad to see him leave. You cannot hel but root for the guy. One of the friendliest and nicest players you can imagine.

Matticers

Just wanted to come in here and laugh at the Nationals for that trade. Fully prepared to see them throw a ton of money at Chapman to make up for it, though.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah, idk about that trade for the Nats. That's a whole lot for a guy who you'll move out of his optimal position. Could turn out nice but still feels like an overpay.

I like the Heston trade, unless we gave up something actually good. Could be a nice back-end pitcher or more next year. Still need decent middle rotation pitching tho.

Beckx

Jim Allen is pissed. Rightfully so. Hopefully he can get more exposure on this; Hochi and other outlets are starting to talk about the "25歳 ルール" (25 year old rule).

Some bits of his article below, but much more at the link. Give it a click, Jim's a good dude and very knowledgeable about Japanese baseball.

http://kyodonews.net/news/2016/12/08/91430

Baseball: New MLB rules could spark exodus of top Japanese amateurs

Although the new rules agreed upon by Major League Baseball and its players union have thrown the future of baseball's most exciting star into question, the real impact could be much more severe for Nippon Professional Baseball.

By treating all foreign professionals under the age of 25 as amateurs, MLB's new collective bargaining agreement might lead to an exodus of Japan's best amateur talent, an MLB source told Kyodo News on Wednesday.

Asked if the new CBA, which has yet to be ratified, would encourage young Japanese amateurs to skip NPB and sign directly with major league clubs, the source said, "That is likely."

MLB's new rule change will make it nearly impossible for another Japanese team to replicate the Fighters' success.

Like Tazawa, Otani told NPB teams not to draft him, but that did not stop Nippon Ham. Otani started on Opening Day as a rookie, in right field, and put up numbers with the bat as an 18-year-old that few but Hall of Famers have achieved.

The world is now raving about both his tape-measure power and his power arm -- he twice rewrote his record this season for Japan's fastest pitch as a starter, but none of that would have happened had he moved to the majors. There, Otani's batting would have been put into semi-retirement because major league teams "know" a player can't do both well.

This year, Otani did for the second time what only Babe Ruth had previously accomplished: a 10-win, 10-home run season. Had MLB's new rules been in force four years ago, Otani would be just another pitcher who could swing a bat pretty well.

In NPB, his numbers offensively through three of his four pro seasons are better than those amassed by Hideki Matsui at the same age. Otani's pitching has surpassed what Yu Darvish accomplished with the Fighters through his first four seasons.

Yet both of those players moved to the majors at a later age. With more time to adapt to major league pitching -- no Japanese batting star has moved prior to the age of 27 and Matsui came at 29 -- Otani's offensive potential now is mouth-watering.

Asked if it was unfair to deny Otani the opportunity to earn free agency in the majors until at least 2023, the source said, "That was his choice. He could have come over when he was 21. He could have come out of high school."

fuck that dude giving that last quote.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
After watching Trey Turner "play" CF maybe they thought Eaton was above average in CF? Idk. Lot to give up for Eaton.

I don't understand how GMs get stuck in the mentality of, "Well, I was going to give these guys up anyways in another trade, so it's okay."

Way too much for Eaton. They got a better haul for Eaton than Sale.

Malo

Banned
I don't understand how GMs get stuck in the mentality of, "Well, I was going to give these guys up anyways in another trade, so it's okay."

Way too much for Eaton. They got a better haul for Eaton than Sale.
No they didn't. Moncada and Kopech >> Giolito and Lopez. Still a great haul tho.

BFIB

Mo on local radio a short time ago:

-Feels the prices for trades has exceeded what many execs felt the asking price would be. Many GM's are still reeling from the Eaton transaction
-Thinks the Cardinals could be set, right now, if need be. He said their main goal was to shore up bullpen, look at getting more athletic up the middle, but doesn't envision something happening at the winter meetings now that the flurry of deals went down
-Stated specifically that there are a few players they deem "untouchable" (Reyes, Weaver, Kelly is my guess), and that they have talent coming, but teams are looking at a quicker rebuild as opposed to years past, and the Cards prospects are another year or so away from being to the level of talent being moved around here.

Again, he sounded extremely shocked at whats gone down. I think everyone is. Reyes as a centerpiece for Eaton is not worth it, Reyes for anyone isn't worth it. I don't think the GM's expected this kind of movement.

Mo on local radio a short time ago:

-Feels the prices for trades has exceeded what many execs felt the asking price would be. Many GM's are still reeling from the Eaton transaction
-Thinks the Cardinals could be set, right now, if need be. He said their main goal was to shore up bullpen, look at getting more athletic up the middle, but doesn't envision something happening at the winter meetings now that the flurry of deals went down
-Stated specifically that there are a few players they deem "untouchable" (Reyes, Weaver, Kelly is my guess), and that they have talent coming, but teams are looking at a quicker rebuild as opposed to years past, and the Cards prospects are another year or so away from being to the level of talent being moved around here.

Again, he sounded extremely shocked at whats gone down. I think everyone is. Reyes as a centerpiece for Eaton is not worth it, Reyes for anyone isn't worth it. I don't think the GM's expected this kind of movement.

We'll probably sign Desmond Jennings or something to platoon with Pham in CF. And Eric Fryer to be backup catcher.

Part of me sort of wants to sell a couple pieces at the deadline. Like, what could dealing Oh get us next year? I think as is they'll compete for a WC and we could see a lot of ways it could turnout due to variation.

BFIB

We'll probably sign Desmond Jennings or something to platoon with Pham in CF. And Eric Fryer to be backup catcher.

Part of me sort of wants to sell a couple pieces at the deadline. Like, what could dealing Oh get us next year? I think as is they'll compete for a WC and we could see a lot of ways it could turnout due to variation.

I think there's this perception being built about Mo that he values his prospects more than what they are worth, and does not gauge the market well. I think there may be some truth to that going by the past few seasons market.

In retrospect, seeing what Eaton went for, and what Fowler will end up signing for, once again the Cubs did a great deal in Jon Jay. This is what the Cards need to get back to. Knowing the market trends before anyone else. We need to hack someone else, fast.

I think there's this perception being built about Mo that he values his prospects more than what they are worth, and does not gauge the market well. I think there may be some truth to that going by the past few seasons market.

In retrospect, seeing what Eaton went for, and what Fowler will end up signing for, once again the Cubs did a great deal in Jon Jay. This is what the Cards need to get back to. Knowing the market trends before anyone else. We need to hack someone else, fast.

Cecil was a pretty good buy compared with what Melancon got and what Jansen and Chapman are going to get.

I still wouldn't be shocked if we end up with Fowler. Sounds like it's just the Jays and us in on him. Wouldn't be surprised if he overplayed his hand, again

Malvingt2

Astros, Braves Unwilling To Pay White Sox' Price For Jose Quintana

The Astros did, in fact, talk to the White Sox about Quintana, but have found the White Sox’ price to be too steep, Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle writes. Kaplan notes that it’s unclear whether the Astros would have to give up Bregman to get Quintana, but notes that he doesn’t want to part with players who could help the Astros next season. “We’re just not prepared to trade away players that are core to our production in 2017, and those are sometimes the players that are required to get these deals done,” says GM Jeff Luhnow.

The Braves also asked about Quintana and thought the White Sox’ price was too high, writes David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The problem seems to be that the Braves don’t feel Quintana is as valuable as Sale was, even though Quintana is controllable for an extra year. “We don’t have needs in starting pitching,” says GM John Coppolella. “Do we want a No. 1 starter, is Chris Sale a No. 1 starter? Yes. Do we want Jose Quintana? I don’t think Jose Quintana is Chris Sale.”

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/...trades-with-astros-nationals-other-teams.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom