• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike does have a point here. It's the cycle of rebuilding sports teams: tear it down and restock, leading to (at most) 2 years of shit play, make smart moves in the back office, and try to not rush your great prospects for a quick shot.

Restock? Only 2 years of shit play? Smart moves? Great prospects?

These are the Angels we're talkin 'bout here. None of these terms apply.

RBH

The Braves have said that if they leave the Winter Meetings on Thursday without adding a starting pitcher or making any significant deal during the four-day event, they will be perfectly fine with that.

They continue to consider a possible deal for free agent Welington Castillo or another catcher, but that’s not a need in Coppolella’s view, since they already have Tyler Flowers and backups Anthonty Recker and (at Triple-A) Tuffy Gosewisch. They would also like to add a catching prospect that might be ready in a year or two, and the Braves have inquired about relievers including Orioles All-Star Brad Brach. Again, prices as of Wednesday were too high, the Orioles reportedly asking for a package that included Braves rookie outfielder Mallex Smith.

“We’ve said since the start of these meetings, our heavy lifting is done,” Coppolella said. “We don’t plan to do much here. We aren’t going to be real active…. We keep trying to add young players, keep trying to make our club better. But for the most part, we just are where we are. There may be a minor signing or two, but outside of that I wouldn’t expect fireworks from us because much of our heavy lifting was done early.”

Hart said of Quintana, “My instincts would be if the guy’s got an extra year of control (as Quintana does over Sale), their ask is probably going to be pretty steep. Knowing that if they don’t get what they want, they’ll still be in a very good position next year. They’re probably in a spot where, look, they hit a jackpot with Sale. Who’s to say they’re not looking for a jackpot with every one of their guys, and if they don’t get it you won’t see them traded. I’m not sure you’re going to see them traded here, but I think there’s a number of clubs – including us – that wouldn’t be opposed to a discussion.

“Is it worth it for us to dig into it? How deep? Where do you go? Is it right guy for us to do it with, versus exploring some other things? I don’t think we’re in any rush to unload our prospects. Quintana’s a desirable guy, for sure. But I’m not sure we’re necessarily in that spot. We like Quintana. But it’s not Sale. It would certainily be good for us. But where does he fit in the scheme of things?

“Look, if some deal falls into our laps, we’re always going to look at it, because we’re always going to be opportunistic. But I don’t think we feel like we have to make a trade for a pitcher, certainly not after already having acquired three starting ptichers this offseason.”

The White Sox and other teams have asked and learned the Braves are highly protective of their most elite pitching prospects, such as left-hander Sean Newcomb and the handful of pitchers they had at Class-A Rome last season, plus their first three picks in the 2016 draft. Pitching is the biggest strength of the Braves’ rich farm system.

“When we went after one-year guys, we didn’t have to trade away prospects to get really into our muscle (of the farm system),” Hart said. “We gave away some players you don’t want to trade, but the one-year deals, there’s some options and maneuverability with one-year guys. It’s going to help our club now and we don’t cut into our muscle, it gives us an opportunity if we want to do something at the (trade) deadline.”
http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/...e-way-they-liked-sale/wma1Oji6asWNBP4ahTgIvO/

zulux21

Astros, Braves Unwilling To Pay White Sox' Price For Jose Quintana

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/...trades-with-astros-nationals-other-teams.html

not surprising. white sox know quintana is just as valuable as sale (quality might be a bit worse but has an extra year of control, but value wise year by year quintana has quietly been on par with sale)

he has been in sale's shadow though so no one seems him as valuable as sale, or even if they do they are going to pretend like they don't since no one seems to think that.

we will have to see but I really don't think quintana will move this off season (though I didn't think eaton would either :p)

Astros, Braves Unwilling To Pay White Sox' Price For Jose Quintana

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/...trades-with-astros-nationals-other-teams.html

I mean they can still pay the Ivan Novas of this world, hope Danny Duffy wasn't a fluke or hope Dallas Keuchel recovers the voodoo magic that allowed him to win the cy young...
Or pay that man:
CzG4du_VIAAtq8k.jpg

Malo

Banned
Rosenthal

BREAKING: Chapman to #Yankees, five years, $86M.

Traded him at the deadline, got Torres, and he came back. Well played, Cash.

Malo

Banned
Marly Rivera

Details of Aroldis Chapman deal: no-trade for 3 years, and cannot be to a team located in California

Wat

RBH

The Braves have been happy to have left fielder Matt Kemp since he joined them in a July trade. Apparently he’s content with the match too. According to the Wall Street Journal, Kemp is selling is California dream home and relocating to the East Coast.

The 15,884-square-foot mansion in Poway, Calif., is listed for $11.5 million.

The house, listed by Kofi Nartey of Compass and Morgan Trent of Paramount Properties and Financial Services, has five bedrooms, eight bathrooms, a home theatre and a barbershop room.

YUN00016_1.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_9367.jpg

Marly Rivera

Details of Aroldis Chapman deal: no-trade for 3 years, and cannot be to a team located in California

Wat

oh man, people really hate the west coast.
I'm not sure I like this deal anyway. it's so many years for a reliever. I'm sure it'll work out in year two when we get Harper/Machado.

Malo

Banned
Ken Rosenthal

Source: Chapman deal includes three-year opt-out, full no-trade for first three years, limited no-trade for final two.

I'm an idiot.

I mean, since they wanted him back, the Yankees handled this whole thing beautifully. With that said, I wouldn't pay him that money

clemenx

Banned
Relievers are basically going to be paid in hopes they pull a Miller in the postseason. I don't see their usage changing much in regular season to be worth all that.

Good times to be a closer.

Malo

Banned
Jeff Passan

Sources: The Marlins have made a monster offer for Kenley Jansen -- almost at the level of Aroldis Chapman. Five years, more than $80M.

Take the offer, Jansen.

zulux21

Jeff Passan

Sources: The Marlins have made a monster offer for Kenley Jansen -- almost at the level of Aroldis Chapman. Five years, more than $80M.

Take the offer, Jansen.

I wonder what team will get him at the trade deadline when the marlins trade him o_O

zulux21

same, but for the Ms. I love how the rockies signing Desmond moves us up. The #11 pick and $70 mil for Desmond, lmao

seriously, wtf is up with that

worrying about picks is for teams that are losers.
winners already have low draft picks so who cares :p

*has been actively hoping the white sox would have protected picks the last few years... if I recall they aren't protected this year but it doesn't matter :p*

3N16MA

Banned
Good job getting Chapman back for under 90M.

The Chapman deal from the very beginning has worked out well for the Yanks. Gave up little to acquire him, traded him for solid haul, got him back at a decent price.

Mortemis

Banned
worrying about picks is for teams that are losers.
winners already have low draft picks so who cares :p

*has been actively hoping the white sox would have protected picks the last few years... if I recall they aren't protected this year but it doesn't matter :p*

the M's are losers who are in a tough spot of trying to contend but also trying to rebuild their shitty farm. We'll take anything we can get, like moving up in the draft, lol

3N16MA

Banned
Only one other full-time closer has thrown more innings than Jansen over the last 5 seasons. Only Chapman has a better fWAR during that span.

He is going to get paid.

zulux21

the M's are losers who are in a tough spot of trying to contend but also trying to rebuild their shitty farm. We'll take anything we can get, like moving up in the draft, lol

the white sox aren't really different.
they just decided to finally rebuild.
so far it looks good.

I am curious to see what else they get with the other trade pieces they have.

and what their payroll will be.

at the rate things are going james shield's 10 mil salary that the white sox pay might end up being 30% of the team budget.

as I imagine abreu, milky, fraizer, robertson all go.

though I could also see the white sox keeping abreu to play mentor to their new number 1 prospect and have some sort of star draw still for merch purposes.

zulux21

hmm
n their discussions that led to the Chris Sale trade, the White Sox pressed the Red Sox to include top third base prospect Rafael Devers in a potential package, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (Twitter link). Unwilling to move Devers, Boston compromised by including both right-hander Victor Diaz and outfielder Luis Alexander Basabe. The 20-year-old Devers is MLB.com’s 20th-ranked prospect, while Baseball America placed him 41st on its midseason list.

Sanjuro

Yankees signed Chapman?

The only reason they would do this is to trade him at a deadline, or just spend a lot of money for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom