• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

Good job getting Chapman back for under 90M.

The Chapman deal from the very beginning has worked out well for the Yanks. Gave up little to acquire him, traded him for solid haul, got him back at a decent price.

And he won a ring along the way. That's a solid year for a player.

BFIB

The BFIB here are extremely vocal this morning on local radio. I'm glad to see Mo not overpay, but at this point, we have the money, just fucking sign Fowler and Turner and be done with it. Both improve the defense, then move Adams to shore up some depth in the minors.

Friggz

Yankees got hit hard in the rule 5. I was always a personal fan of Luis torrens. Sucks to see Hensley go too. Hope the kid can find a little luck

gamz

Cubs picked up Kevin Cornelius from yanks. His OBP (career .383) is excellent in the minors.

any info from Yanks fans?

RBH

One year ago:

YvSxCmQ.png

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/674365902041825280?s=09

:')

Red Sox have some payroll flexibility — but not a lot - J. Bautista's agent told Sox he wants Boston,Sox said no more $

https://twitter.com/pgammo/status/806814856670314497

Should have stayed quiet about your contract demands, Jose.

https://twitter.com/Sawchik_Trib/status/806872777298944001

Neal Huntington says club's intent is to now 'hold' Andrew McCutchen.

https://twitter.com/JonathanMayo/status/806847348521496577

I'm no @jjcoop36, but there's some Rule 5 buzz this am. Looking like @Twins will trade No. 1 pick; seems like @Padres are the trade partners

BFIB

That first day w/ Andrew McCutchen at spring training with the GM and owner is going to be awkward as fuck.

Beckx

the script is already flipping from "OMG how could they ever trade Cutch" to "OMG NH is an idiot look what Hahn got"

Pittsburgh writer David Todd suggests that Ben Rothlisberger's opinion that team should keep Cutch *actually mattered*

Clint Hurdle already trotting out the "he's a grown man" defense in response to any idea that things will be awkward

BFIB

the script is already flipping from "OMG how could they ever trade Cutch" to "OMG NH is an idiot look what Hahn got"

Pittsburgh writer David Todd suggests that Ben Rothlisberger's opinion that team should keep Cutch *actually mattered*

Clint Hurdle already trotting out the "he's a grown man" defense in response to any idea that things will be awkward

Regardless of McCutchen's production last year, he's still the face of the franchise. So for the Bucs to be floating him out in trade rumors tells you that the owner and GM are not committed to him.

Its a damn shame the Pirates owner couldn't cough a little coin to get the team what they needed for a deeper run into the playoffs. That team was, and still, has the pieces.

Regardless of McCutchen's production last year, he's still the face of the franchise. So for the Bucs to be floating him out in trade rumors tells you that the owner and GM are not committed to him.

Its a damn shame the Pirates owner couldn't cough a little coin to get the team what they needed for a deeper run into the playoffs. That team was, and still, has the pieces.

Exactly. The Pirates are probably some of the worst penny pinchers in the league, and if I was Cutch, I would be incensed with how they are treating me.

Mortemis

Banned
Fighters' manager Hideki Kuriyama says that the new rule will not affect Otani's 2018 timing.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2016/12/447994.html

Otani has more integrity in his pinky than MLB and MLBPA have collectively.

Wait, he's cool with losing six years of making bank (or four years really if he would come over at 25) by coming over next year? Dude is determined, but still I'd tell him to wait the extra two years and get your big payday early.

More integrity in his pinky than the MLB is an understatement.

FUCK, the Cards lost Cordoba.

There is no way in hell he sticks around at t he big league level. He hasn't played above rookie ball. If the Cardinals don't trade him, they'll more than likely get him back.

Only thing that concerns me is that the Padres don't care about competing this year. They could keep him on all year, does it really matter? It does for Cordoba - he's getting a year of wasted development, but Padres probably don't care. He'll be making a cool 500k though, so good for his family!

Either way, it'll suck if we don't get him back but at the same time it's not like he's some big time prospect. Although what he's done in rookie ball so far is pretty great.

The Chicago White Sox Are Finally All In

On a bleak September night at the end of the 2011 season, the Chicago White Sox walked off the field having just watched second-year reliever Chris Sale blow a save against the Toronto Blue Jays. The loss was the Sox' 83rd and final defeat of what was a frustrating and disappointing campaign. Plagued by the constant media attention swirling around their underperforming roster and controversial manager Ozzie Guillen, the future of the franchise that had captured their first World Series Championship since 1917 just six years earlier was beginning to look bleak. It was just a day after the season ended that the White Sox front office sent their embattled manager off to the Florida Marlins in exchange for two prospects. The South Siders had entered the 2011 season with the 5th highest payroll in baseball and a team full of aging veterans, and finished it with a barren farm system and nothing to show for their efforts but uncertainty.

Malo

Banned
Yankees got hit hard in the rule 5. I was always a personal fan of Luis torrens. Sucks to see Hensley go too. Hope the kid can find a little luck
Fuck. I really like Torrens and hopefully Hensley stays healthy, he's had nothing but bad luck since we drafted him.
Cubs picked up Kevin Cornelius from yanks. His OBP (career .383) is excellent in the minors.

any info from Yanks fans?
First time I've heard of the guy lol

i wonder if there is any truth to this

I've heard from a couple people that Fowler just doesn't want to play for Matheny. Also wants a bigger market.

Given the past few years, I don't blame a black player for not wanting to come to St. Louis, though I think our ownership is actually pretty progressive (relative to baseball teams in general). When they were interested in Heyward and Price, one of the reasons given was that it would bring a black player to a team that had none (or at least no major player - think we had one or two in AAA who played a little bit in the majors). And that that didn't feel right in a city where the black population is so big. Obviously ticket sales were a big driving factor, but I was happy to hear it given as a reason regardless.

Or Matheny just has a bad rep. Dunno. Hes not a good tactician, so if players don't want to play for him I'm not sure why the Cardinals keep paying him.

BFIB

i wonder if there is any truth to this

This has been the rumor mill on Matheny's clubhouse for a few years now. It is not a relaxed clubhouse. Why do you think there was PR about the Cards wanting to be more "loose", etc. going into last year. Heyward said it was a clubhouse that did not celebrate wins, but hammered on losses.

Matheny is essentially the glass half full manager, always critiques. Look at the handling of Kolten Wong and Randall Grichuk this past season when they were on the MLB roster. I can see why some players do not want to play under him. He gets results, but he basically thinks he's another TLR.

jbug617

Banned
Dombrowski not in a rush to trade a pitcher. He would be looking for prospects and Buchholz would be the one to be traded

i didn't know matheny had that reputation. i wonder if the wainwright comments about heyward last offseason could have hurt them with fowler too.

i will love fowler no matter where he goes, but i'll admit, it would sting to see him go to the cards. i've never had to like a cardinal before.

Yes, it’s Jose Quintana, and frankly, if the Braves had been willing to part with a lot of talent to get Sale, then they should likewise put nearly that same talent on the table for Quintana.

With a slight twist.

Since the ChiSox now have Yoan Moncada, they don’t need Ozzie Albies. So instead, let’s take advantage of the fact that Todd Frazier is probably about to be traded … somewhere… soon.

So let’s have Atlanta offer Adonis Garcia, Rio Ruiz and two starters: Matt Wisler and the newly acquired Jaime Garcia in exchange for Quintana.
http://tomahawktake.com/2016/12/06/2-moves-the-atlanta-braves-could-make-after-sale/

Did one of you guys write this BravesGAF?

BFIB

i didn't know matheny had that reputation. i wonder if the wainwright comments about heyward last offseason could have hurt them with fowler too.

i will love fowler no matter where he goes, but i'll admit, it would sting to see him go to the cards. i've never had to like a cardinal before.

I can see why Fowler might not want to come here. The Cards need to send a message back to the league. They need to be aggressive, and show the player that they want them. The days of "Player X wants to come here cheaper" are over. The darlings about 300 miles north have that mantle right now. There is a clear culture shift that you see in teams like the Cubs, the Indians, etc. You really didn't see that here last year, minus a few instances (Holliday's last AB being the standout).

TLR was/is an asshole. But, he also let the players be themselves, and found ways to get through to the players, even if he did not agree with them (Ankiel, Rolen, Edmonds for example). Whereas Matheny seems to be a "my way or the highway" end. Case in point, the handling of Kolten Wong. He needs to play every day. As soon as he would go into a funk, instead of sticking him 8th and just leaving him there to sort it out, he was yanked off the lineup card, and eventually demoted to Memphis so he could sort himself out. He plays well there, comes back up north and only starts in 33 of the last 96 games.

Matheny argues "The GM gets the players, but I make the lineup card." He really needs someone like a Dom Zimmer riding his ass on this mindset and realize that not everyone thinks the way he does. I give credit to Matheny, he's been very successful so far. But, he also has to adapt as a manager, his in game decision making is beyond terrible, and his outreach to players that honestly, aren't white and paid their dues through the minors, needs to change.

I can see why Fowler might not want to come here. The Cards need to send a message back to the league. They need to be aggressive, and show the player that they want them. The days of "Player X wants to come here cheaper" are over. The darlings about 300 miles north have that mantle right now. There is a clear culture shift that you see in teams like the Cubs, the Indians, etc. You really didn't see that here last year, minus a few instances (Holliday's last AB being the standout).

TLR was/is an asshole. But, he also let the players be themselves, and found ways to get through to the players, even if he did not agree with them (Ankiel, Rolen, Edmonds for example). Whereas Matheny seems to be a "my way or the highway" end. Case in point, the handling of Kolten Wong. He needs to play every day. As soon as he would go into a funk, instead of sticking him 8th and just leaving him there to sort it out, he was yanked off the lineup card, and eventually demoted to Memphis so he could sort himself out. He plays well there, comes back up north and only starts in 33 of the last 96 games.

Matheny argues "The GM gets the players, but I make the lineup card." He really needs someone like a Dom Zimmer riding his ass on this mindset and realize that not everyone thinks the way he does. I give credit to Matheny, he's been very successful so far. But, he also has to adapt as a manager, his in game decision making is beyond terrible, and his outreach to players that honestly, aren't white and paid their dues through the minors, needs to change.

Seems to be a pretty good drilldown on the malaise that currently is hanging over the Cards.

SOURCE: RED SOX MAKING CLAY BUCHHOLZ AVAILABLE MORE THAN DREW POMERANZ

Dave Dombrowski noted Wednesday night that the Red Sox had spent the day fielding calls from teams interested in some of their starting pitchers. Specifically, the president of baseball operations noted, the focus from other clubs were on Eduardo Rodriguez, Drew Pomeranz, Steven Wright and Clay Buchholz.
But, according to teams talking with the Red Sox, Dombrowski has seemingly prioritized dealing Buchholz over Pomeranz. In fact, one source suggested the Sox aren’t currently showing any inclination that they want to move Pomeranz.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2016/12/08/source-red-sox-making-clay-buchholz-available-more-than-drew-pomeranz/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As an addition, Scott Miller of SiriusXM says:

Sources: Marlins one of these teams Sox pushed Buchholz, but at $13 mil in 2016 too much at the moment for Marlins

bumclot

Fuck. I really like Torrens and hopefully Hensley stays healthy, he's had nothing but bad luck since we drafted him.
I can't see Torrens sticking on the Pads 25-man all season. He's lost so much development time & has only made it to Low-A ball. Plus, I doubt any NL team, even the Padres, could afford to effectively stash a catcher all year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up back with the Yanks, but I'm not losing any sleep if he doesn't.

Real shame about Ty. With everything he's gone through, it def would have been cathartic to see him break out with the Yanks.

SOURCE: RED SOX MAKING CLAY BUCHHOLZ AVAILABLE MORE THAN DREW POMERANZ
fryshocked.gif

Chase17

Not the current second longest tenured Red Sox player.

Dave will be going too far this time. I mean, Clay just had a no hitter a little under a decade ago.

Only Panda is safe.

zulux21

quick glance Dylan Covey from the rule 5 draft looks like a decent pick up for a rebuilding team.

I am guessing from his numbers last year that he got hurt. but his numbers were solid in the limited time and not bad the season before, and he is the perfect age to slot as a 5th starter in a rebuild team during the first season to keep another prospect down in the minors to keep the timer from starting on them.

gamz

Going from Maddon to Matheny would require a hard adjustment.

BFIB

Going from Maddon to Matheny would require a hard adjustment.

For sure. And I'm not saying Matheny needs to go the Maddon route completely, but the thing about Maddon is you see his outreach to all of his players. Matheny will defend any of his guys, but when you see Maddon, Tito, Roberts last year w/ LA, you can see a clear difference on how Matheny treats everything as "business as usual".

For sure. And I'm not saying Matheny needs to go the Maddon route completely, but the thing about Maddon is you see his outreach to all of his players. Matheny will defend any of his guys, but when you see Maddon, Tito, Roberts last year w/ LA, you can see a clear difference on how Matheny treats everything as "business as usual".

I guess it's the difference between a player's coach, and a guy who will do anything to win.

Matheny reminds me a bit of Scotty Bowman in some spots, a guy who doesn't take shit from his players.

I think the bigger implication is that Mike Matheny is a racist.

I guess it's the difference between a player's coach, and a guy who will do anything to win.

Matheny reminds me a bit of Scotty Bowman in some spots, a guy who doesn't take shit from his players.

every manager will do anything it takes to win. it's more about the stuffy no-fun-allowed atmosphere that seems to be surrounding the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom