• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the bigger implication is that Mike Matheny is a racist.

no way a guy who dresses like this could be racist

maxresdefault.jpg

gamz

I guess it's the difference between a player's coach, and a guy who will do anything to win.

Matheny reminds me a bit of Scotty Bowman in some spots, a guy who doesn't take shit from his players.

Every manager does anything to win. It's how you treat your players and what atmosphere do you want to create to get the best out of you. And of course what players your FO acquires.

BFIB

every manager will do anything it takes to win. it's more about the stuffy no-fun-allowed atmosphere that seems to be surrounding the cards.

Bingo. Back in 2011, Mo signed Berkman in the offseason. He made a few references that over the past few years, it seemed TLR was getting a "complacent" clubhouse atmosphere, etc. In the first players meeting, Pujols phone rang, everyone went dead silent waiting for the TLR outburst. Berkman called TLR right out on it, and TLR even admitted later, Berkman was exactly what the clubhouse needed.

If that happened in a Matheny clubhouse, Berkman would never be on the lineup card.

I think the bigger implication is that Mike Matheny is a racist.

Its probably more that Matheny has "his guys" and defers to them almost all of the time. It's probably easier for a white player to become "his guy" than a player of color (see: Oscar Taveras and Randal Grichuk), but it's not unheard of. He started Peter Bourjos for like 2 weeks before saying "nah" and going back to Jon Jay. He just has his guys.

To be frank, all indications are that the Matheny's leadership council (which he brought over from TLR) drives the clubhouse. Id put money on Yadi being the uptight one, much as I love him. Adam Wainwright is goofy as hell.

zulux21

Mike Axisa (RAB,CBS) brings up a few good points in his article today about otani .

http://riveraveblues.com/2016/12/sh...n-which-is-great-news-for-the-yankees-147990/

the Athletics, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Nationals, Padres, Reds, and Royals will all still be dealing with the penalties from their recent international spending sprees. Which leaves really the red sox as the yankees only threat to land the pitcher.

the white sox rebuild seems to be targeting 2-3 years, so next off season to make a big splash on a pitcher like otani to give him a year to get his feet wet when the white sox make a push could make sense, especially since the white sox roster cost the next few years is likely going to be a tiny fraction of what it was this year, so they would have money to risk on something like otani.

Beckx

Mike Axisa (RAB,CBS) brings up a few good points in his article today about otani .

http://riveraveblues.com/2016/12/sh...n-which-is-great-news-for-the-yankees-147990/

the Athletics, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Nationals, Padres, Reds, and Royals will all still be dealing with the penalties from their recent international spending sprees. Which leaves really the red sox as the yankees only threat to land the pitcher.

well, don't forget the Rangers as he notes in the article. Darvish has become a big mentor to Ohtani and if they can re-sign Darvish, it's not out of the question that he would want to play on the same team. getting Darvish's number with the Fighters (11) was a big deal to him.

(also, ffs, writers stop writing "Ham Fighters" because it's like writing "York Yankees")

Friggz

well, don't forget the Rangers as he notes in the article. Darvish has become a big mentor to Ohtani and if they can re-sign Darvish, it's not out of the question that he would want to play on the same team. getting Darvish's number with the Fighters (11) was a big deal to him.

(also, ffs, writers stop writing "Ham Fighters" because it's like writing "York Yankees")

i dont consider the rangers a threat to land him. especially since tanaka is otani offseason workout buddy.

Beckx

Fighters are holding a ten day camp in Arizona again Feb. Wish i could go. It's going to be a zoo i bet, between scouts looking at Ohtani and sleazelords trying to get his autograph for ebay. I just want to watch the team. :/

I get your point... but I think york yankees sounds better lol.

anything sounds better, ugh. it's like fingernails on a chalkboard

Choomp

Banned
the white sox have a number of decent choices.
I am sure they wouldn't mind some mets prospects to go with nats and redsox prospects :p

I don't like where your head's at. At least Sandy's been pretty clear that they're not gonna deal Rosario

zulux21

I don't like where your head's at. At least Sandy's been pretty clear that they're not gonna deal Rosario

my head is at... lets see how many teams the white sox can get to gut themselves for their players :p

the white sox really do have quite a few quality pitchers though.

Choomp

Banned
my head is at... lets see how many teams the white sox can get to gut themselves for their players :p

the white sox really do have quite a few quality pitchers though.

I'd gladly take a Robertson or a Nate Jones... Just don't want to trade any prospects. Would rather deal with a team who needs a quality outfield bat like Jay Bruce :p

Malvingt2

Braves made a trade with the Rangers..

Tommy Stokke ‏@StokkeTommy
Source: #Braves and #Rangers have made a trade. Rangers getting left-handed RP Brady Feigl.

Malvingt2

BillShanks ‏@BillShanks
The Braves have traded Brady Feigl and Tyrell Jenkins to the Rangers for pitching prospect Luke Jackson.

Fowler getting a physical in STL tomorrow.

He's the best option, I guess. Hope it's only 4 years. Would love 4/60, which sounds like what TOR and STL both offered. Betting the Cardinals went a little bit higher realizing their options were limited

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
BillShanks ‏@BillShanks
The Braves have traded Brady Feigl and Tyrell Jenkins to the Rangers for pitching prospect Luke Jackson.
Jenkins was never going to stick in the Braves rotation and was most likely going to be a long man. Was better to trade him now and get a pichter that can potentially be a better reliever. Maybe Jackson can stop walking people and become a setup man......ok probably not.

also that is the last of the Heyward deal.

So for trading 1 yr of Heyward (and Waldon who is with the braves again):

1 year of Shelby Miller
2 years of Tyrell Jenkins
Dansby Swanson
Ender Incairte
Aaron Blair
Luke Jackson

I can see why Fowler might not want to come here. The Cards need to send a message back to the league. They need to be aggressive, and show the player that they want them. The days of "Player X wants to come here cheaper" are over. The darlings about 300 miles north have that mantle right now. There is a clear culture shift that you see in teams like the Cubs, the Indians, etc. You really didn't see that here last year, minus a few instances (Holliday's last AB being the standout).

TLR was/is an asshole. But, he also let the players be themselves, and found ways to get through to the players, even if he did not agree with them (Ankiel, Rolen, Edmonds for example). Whereas Matheny seems to be a "my way or the highway" end. Case in point, the handling of Kolten Wong. He needs to play every day. As soon as he would go into a funk, instead of sticking him 8th and just leaving him there to sort it out, he was yanked off the lineup card, and eventually demoted to Memphis so he could sort himself out. He plays well there, comes back up north and only starts in 33 of the last 96 games.

Matheny argues "The GM gets the players, but I make the lineup card." He really needs someone like a Dom Zimmer riding his ass on this mindset and realize that not everyone thinks the way he does. I give credit to Matheny, he's been very successful so far. But, he also has to adapt as a manager, his in game decision making is beyond terrible, and his outreach to players that honestly, aren't white and paid their dues through the minors, needs to change.
Is this really the current narrative surrounding Matheny's tenure? TLR did some fine things as the Cards' manager but I'm struggling to see how Matheny is more stubborn in his managing style compared to TLR. The only thing that jumps out at me that would indicate greater flexibility on TLR's part is the constant lineup juggling that Matheny has (recently) shied away from.

Maybe I haven't paid as much attention to the media narrative in the past year but last I checked, the players seemed to like playing for Matheny. Almost to the point that that was his main selling point. Did the narrative flip that suddenly from 2015 to 2016? If he's no longer a net positive for the clubhouse chemistry/atmosphere, why does he still have a job again?

Is this really the current narrative surrounding Matheny's tenure? TLR did some fine things as the Cards' manager but I'm struggling to see how Matheny is more stubborn in his managing style compared to TLR. The only thing that jumps out at me that would indicate greater flexibility on TLR's part is the constant lineup juggling that Matheny has (recently) shied away from.

Maybe I haven't paid as much attention to the media narrative in the past year but last I checked, the players seemed to like playing for Matheny. Almost to the point that that was his main selling point. Did the narrative flip that suddenly from 2015 to 2016? If he's no longer a net positive for the clubhouse chemistry/atmosphere, why does he still have a job again?

Cardinals missed the playoffs by 1 game and people want answers. That's all

BFIB

I think its part of the old days of "x player wants to play here" coupled with Matheny's sometimes brash style. He has an old players mindset, which can be a good thing, and a bad thing. Bernie Miklasz has reported a few times over Matheny having "his boys" in the clubhouse.

Not saying he's a bad manager, I stated earlier, he's done a good job. I want to throw my remote through the TV at his in game decisions sometimes, but he's yet to have a losing season as manager.

As for the Fowler news, color me surprised!

Holy shit, the Fowler news broke because someone got a picture of him boarding a flight to STL from Vegas :lol :lol :lol

At least allegedly it's him in the picture, might not be. But hilarious if it is :lol Either way, it made someone ask the Cardinals and they confirmed it

BFIB

Holy shit, the Fowler news broke because someone got a picture of him boarding a flight to STL from Vegas :lol :lol :lol

At least allegedly it's him in the picture, might not be. But hilarious if it is :lol Either way, it made someone ask the Cardinals and they confirmed it
Tim Mc Kernan strikes again!

Malo

Banned

We wrasslin' now?

Fighters' manager Hideki Kuriyama says that the new rule will not affect Otani's 2018 timing.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2016/12/447994.html

Otani has more integrity in his pinky than MLB and MLBPA have collectively.

Well.

Eh.

He's going because he wants to be here, AND a team is going to offer him a MASSIVE extension under the table. It's basically open tryout to see who in the MLB is the most actively corrupt.

So, he'll go to the Yankees. Him and Tanaka being best buddies certainly helps their case.

Malo

Banned
Well.

Eh.

He's going because he wants to be here, AND a team is going to offer him a MASSIVE extension under the table. It's basically open tryout to see who in the MLB is the most actively corrupt.

So, he'll go to the Yankees. Him and Tanaka being best buddies certainly helps their case.
Tanaka has an opt out after this upcoming season. I doubt we extend him if Otani hits the market and we sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom