• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velcro Fly

Well good for you Dexter. I hope they overpaid.

Now for dumb Cubs fans to not call him racist shit when he comes back to town.

I have basically zero faith in them when he returns in red.

Is this kinda like when somebody on Cards Talk spotted AJ Burnett at Lambert? :p

This one is true! May or may not have been Fowler in Vegas, but it's confirmed

If he had a 4/60 on hand before and Cardinals went "over the top," betting 5/80? Wouldn't be thrilled with that but realities of the markets have changed things

Just hope Fowler doesn't throw a fit when he gets moved off CF in a couple years

billeh

Well good for you Dexter. I hope they overpaid.

Now for dumb Cubs fans to not call him racist shit when he comes back to town.

I have basically zero faith in them when he returns in red.
They cheered Mark DeRosa, I think they'll cheer their former WS winning CF.

Cub4life, anyway. Glad he got paid.

Had to overpay. Cards way out of their comfort zone. Not my money! Glad to see us not give into the trade demands.
The team is rolling in money and the market has changed a lot in the past few years.

Pretty much had to spend money on players at market rate with how crazy the trades have been. Staying pat (while the Cubs keep improving) or going the fire sale route would've burned a substantial amount of goodwill from the fans.

Now sign Justin Turner.

Beckx

the chances that Chicago boos a member of the 2016 team seem approximately nil, regardless of what uniform they are wearing.

BFIB

The team is rolling in money and the market has changed a lot in the past few years.

Pretty much had to spend money on players at market rate with how crazy the trades have been. Staying pat (while the Cubs keep improving) or going the fire sale route would've burned a substantial amount of goodwill from the fans.

Now sign Justin Turner.
At this point, I agree. I know your giving up picks, but the trade market is asanine.

Beckx

rumor mill says Yomiuri is looking at signing Arquimedes Caminero.

i cannot think of a player that's a worse fit for a league than Caminero, who throws gas but also can't aim, hitting two guys in the head last year.

Mortemis

Banned
rumor mill says Yomiuri is looking at signing Arquimedes Caminero.

i cannot think of a player that's a worse fit for a league than Caminero, who throws gas but also can't aim, hitting two guys in the head last year.

Isn't he still signed with the M's? Wouldn't be surprised if we release him sometime before spring training though.

bebop242

the chances that Chicago boos a member of the 2016 team seem approximately nil, regardless of what uniform they are wearing.

Yep. Fowler was a BIG part of that which bums me out that the Cubs couldn't keep him. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt them.

I will still root for Fowler and hope he does well but fuck the Cards.

clemenx

Banned
Scott Boras is a champion of (his potential clients) the people

https://www.apnews.com/f5a0a0ba64b3...lFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

"Why are we as an industry saying that we're going to succumb to the other sports and not pursue best athletes?" Boras said Wednesday at the winter meetings.

"When we're making $10 billion, should we really build the Berlin Wall to youth? We just cut off the American players and limited them well below the NBA and the NFL, and now we're doing it with the Latin players, as well. We're cutting off our soil. Because now I would imagine FIFA is over in Venezuela, 'cause they've coveted South America, and they're building soccer fields as we speak in the Dominican and there because these athletes are going to turn to something that is better for them."

I do think the hard cap is going to be worse than a potential draft. I don't think baseball is in any danger in the DR, at least for a lifetime but I can confirm that in Venezuela soccer is at least as popular as baseball, maybe more.

Baseball is salvaged by the fact that we have awesome players who are personalities here and we don't really have any good soccer players but I do think soccer can surpass baseball here.

Sanjuro

Dumping Fowler seems like something Theo would do, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Maybe the Cubs can trade for Jacoby. 🙄

gamz

Dumping Fowler seems like something Theo would do, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Maybe the Cubs can trade for Jacoby. ��

Wasn't dumped everyone knew he wasn't coming back.

He betted on himself last year coming back and he won. I couldn't be more happy for him.

Almora will be a upgrade on defensive and with Jon Jay in the fold it'll be doable.

BFIB

Maybe the Cubs can trade for Jacoby. 🙄

A day later, I'm ecstatic with this signing.

The Cubs know they have a lot to pay coming up, mainly pitching. They are going to be throwing money faster than Matheny at the offering plate.

gamz

The Cubs know they have a lot to pay coming up, mainly pitching. They are going to be throwing money faster than Matheny at the offering plate.

That first game is against the Cards. That'll be strange as fuck! Standing O in order from the Cubs fans that will be there.

Yep. And now that they already gave up their first round pick, sort of hope they say "fuck it" and sign Turner.

Fowler CF, Marp 1B, Diaz SS, Piscotty RF, Turner 3B, Grichuk LF, Molina C, Wong 2B is a damn good lineup top to bottom.

I expect the Dodgers to pay him, though. Plus think he'd rather play in LA given he's from there (I think?)

BFIB

That first game is against the Cards. That'll be strange as fuck! Standing O in order from the Cubs fans that will be there.
In the past two seasons, three former Cards have joined the Cubs, and now the Cards sign a Cub.

Best this rivalry has ever been.

Funny how these big FA moves drive the most normally sanguine fans/analyst at little crazy when their team stands pat.

and by funny i mean ROGERS IS KILLING THE TEAM

Funny how these big FA moves drive the most normally sanguine fans/analyst at little crazy when their team stands pat.

and by funny i mean ROGERS IS KILLING THE TEAM

Nothing will change unless the pundits at Sportsnet start calling out the ownership of the team for cheaping out and grabbing the scraps other teams leave behind.

And since they rely on Rogers for a paycheck, they are too chickenshit to speak out lest they lose their jobs.

Nothing will change unless the pundits at Sportsnet start calling out the ownership of the team for cheaping out and grabbing the scraps other teams leave behind.

And since they rely on Rogers for a paycheck, they are too chickenshit to speak out lest they lose their jobs.

Oh, that'll never happen. TSN doesn't even get that critical.

I'm not opposed to Atkins deeming the market to expensive right now and waiting it out. But exiting the off-season with Morales, Pearce and Olberholtzer as your FA signings...

Oh, that'll never happen. TSN doesn't even get that critical.

I'm not opposed to Atkins deeming the market to expensive right now and waiting it out. But exiting the off-season with Morales, Pearce and Olberholtzer as your FA signings...

Morales I can somewhat quantify as a decent FA signing, but if we weren't going to go for EE, then I would have preferred Trumbo.

But exactly, this is the same as the Anthopolous reign. Get absolutely no help from Rogers, so they cheap out on the scraps people leave behind.

This amount of penny pinching from one of the richest owners in the MLB is infuriating.

And you just fucking know now that we are going to get Jay Bruce. Whoopidedoo fuck!

On nicer news, a Japanese news agency (graciously translated by a member of /r/baseball) has released a Top 50 of attendance numbers between KBO, NPB, MLB, and Mexico's top flight baseball league.

Take a look, shall we?

1 Los Angeles Dodgers MLB 3,703,312 81 45,719
2 St. Louis Cardinals MLB 3,444,490 81 42,524
3 Toronto Blue Jays MLB 3,392,299 81 41,880
4 Yomiuri Giants NPB 3,004,108 72 41,724
5 San Francisco Giants MLB 3,365,256 81 41,546

First number is total attendance for the year, second number is the amount of home games they had, and the last number is one game attendance average.

Rogers better realize the windfall they are sitting on if they are one of the best attended teams in THE WORLD.

The full list if anybody is interested.

Another graph by another user that takes the one game average, and the max capacity for the venue, and averages it out to see how much of the stadium is filled in that average.

Yep. And now that they already gave up their first round pick, sort of hope they say "fuck it" and sign Turner.

Fowler CF, Marp 1B, Diaz SS, Piscotty RF, Turner 3B, Grichuk LF, Molina C, Wong 2B is a damn good lineup top to bottom.

I expect the Dodgers to pay him, though. Plus think he'd rather play in LA given he's from there (I think?)

Turner is from L.A. Wouldn't be surprised if Angels try to bid for him

On nicer news, a Japanese news agency (graciously translated by a member of /r/baseball) has released a Top 50 of attendance numbers between KBO, NPB, MLB, and Mexico's top flight baseball league.

Take a look, shall we?

First number is total attendance for the year, second number is the amount of home games they had, and the last number is one game attendance average.

Rogers better realize the windfall they are sitting on if they are one of the best attended teams in THE WORLD.

The full list if anybody is interested.

Another graph by another user that takes the one game average, and the max capacity for the venue, and averages it out to see how much of the stadium is filled in that average.

Rays need to be moved pronto

BFIB

82.5/5 for Fowler. 16.5 a year. Not bad at all.

Rumors now that the Cards are in contact with Encarnacion.

rando14

I still cant believe the money that gets thrown around in the MLB these days. I mean relievers are getting $17 mil+ per year now!!

So glad we got Seager locked up last year, that 7/100 is looking great now

I still cant believe the money that gets thrown around in the MLB these days. I mean relievers are getting $17 mil+ per year now!!

Mark Melancon is making more money than Chris Sale who would have been a free agent this year btw.

He chose the safe route if he would have gotten hurt, but damn, he would have easily made Greinke money in this FA market.

rando14

Mark Melancon is making more money than Chris Sale who would have been a free agent this year btw.

He chose the safe route if he would have gotten hurt, but damn, he would have easily made Greinke money in this FA market.

I'm stunned how many awful contracts there are out there. I mean in 2013 Goldy signed like the most terrible contract extension of all time, 5/32. He's making a miserable 6 mil a year and he's not a free agent until after 2019!!

gamz

How about Rizzo 7/42M. He's locked up until 2020.

I don't see a breakdown yet. I'm really liking this more and more. 16.5 mil in today's market is the bad at all.

And sounds like they're interested in both Encarnacion and Trumbo. Not really a fan of either, unless their market has really crashed and they want a 3 year deal

Though that doesn't really fit the idea of improving the defense they talked about since Marp would have to go back to third.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom