• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And sounds like they're interested in both Encarnacion and Trumbo. Not really a fan of either, unless their market has really crashed and they want a 3 year deal

Though that doesn't really fit the idea of improving the defense they talked about since Marp would have to go back to third.

I wouldn't want any part of Trumbo. I'd bet he reverts to being the non-tender candidate from a year ago. EE has shown he is a true middle of the order bat for years.

I really wish the Cards sign Turner, because the Dodgers would be a perfect fit for a Frazier/Robertson trade and I like their prospects ;)

BFIB

And sounds like they're interested in both Encarnacion and Trumbo. Not really a fan of either, unless their market has really crashed and they want a 3 year deal

Though that doesn't really fit the idea of improving the defense they talked about since Marp would have to go back to third.
I do think they need to sort out 3B. They could wait for the deadline on that end.

I do think the Cards still look at Dyson. 4th OF spot and can spot start.

I wouldn't want any part of Trumbo. I'd bet he reverts to being the non-tender candidate from a year ago. EE has shown he is a true middle of the order bat for years.

I really wish the Cards sign Turner, because the Dodgers would be a perfect fit for a Frazier/Robertson trade and I like their prospects ;)

Yeah, agreed on Trumbo. I'd only want him on a low contract, like 3yr/35m or less. Which probably won't happen since someone will pay for dingers.

Definitely want Turner though! But feel like its inevitable LAD gets him, unless the debt thing is a really big deal.

Braves spring training facility could cost $101 million

Collier County could build the Atlanta Braves a spring training stadium here by the end of 2018, a new study from the county shows.

The question is: Does it want to?

Commissioners will decide Tuesday whether to push forward negotiations with the Braves, who have been threatening to leave their site in Orlando for more than a year and are flirting with at least two other Florida counties for a new stadium.

It could cost the county $101 million to build a stadium, buy the land and set up a parking lot, according the county’s feasibility study.

To pay for it, the county would have to borrow the money and raise its tourist tax, from 4 percent to 5 percent, to help pay down that debt.

The county estimated the stadium would pump about $25 million a year into the economy, through hotel stays, restaurants, sales tax and short-term rentals from fans who would travel here for spring training, County Manager Leo Ochs said.

That number comes from reviewing economic impact studies in Lee County, which hosts the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins, and Palm Beach County, home to the St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins and, next year, the Houston Astros and Washington Nationals

Parch

Nothing will change unless the pundits at Sportsnet start calling out the ownership of the team for cheaping out and grabbing the scraps other teams leave behind.

And since they rely on Rogers for a paycheck, they are too chickenshit to speak out lest they lose their jobs.
For sure. Sportsnet does a great job promoting the Jays. It's a big reason the team is so financially successful.

It's the attendance that will make the statement. Fall out of the playoff race and the park will be half full again. It's frustrating because the team made a fortune last year and now they only get worse. They could have been competative but chose not to, but Sportsnet propaganda can only last so long.

For sure. Sportsnet does a great job promoting the Jays. It's a big reason the team is so financially successful.

It's the attendance that will make the statement. Fall out of the playoff race and the park will be half full again. It's frustrating because the team made a fortune last year and now they only get worse. They could have been competative but chose not to, but Sportsnet propaganda can only last so long.

One of the benefits, and downfalls, of the team owning the main media stream the team relies on.

Once fans get sick and tired of seeing the team penny pinch and play like crap, the amount of spin the owners do will eventually be worthless.

Couleurs

Fowler is gonna wear #25; first Card to wear it since McGwire. I somehow never noticed 25 wasn't being used all these years.

Parch

Nobody wants Batista so somebody might get a bargain. It would require the Jays to repair some burned bridges to resign Batista, but I wouldn't be against it. They do seem intent to just take the pick and move on though. It seems highly unlikely that the Jays will get the leftover Batista and settle for some other leftover outfielder..

Parch

Media speculating that the Jays offer to Fowler was 4 for 60, but who knows what to believe. If true, that wasn't going to get it done.

Apparently the Cardinals clubhouse is very evangelical. Positively or negatively, the team being very religious has factored into a lot of player choices.

Media speculating that the Jays offer to Fowler was 4 for 60, but who knows what to believe. If true, that wasn't going to get it done.

Apparently the Cardinals clubhouse is very evangelical. Positively or negatively, the team being very religious has factored into a lot of player choices.

On one end you had the Jays having one of the most Dominican slanted clubhouses in the Majors, and on the other end you have the Cards, basically a religious convention.

Baseball is weird sometimes.

Parch

Morales I can somewhat quantify as a decent FA signing, but if we weren't going to go for EE, then I would have preferred Trumbo.
And you just fucking know now that we are going to get Jay Bruce. Whoopidedoo fuck!
I'm not too keen on Morales. He has to be one of the slowest players in the league. It'll take a triple to score him from first, and of course he will provide absolutely nothing defensively.

Settling for Bruce is absolutely whoopdeedoo. Pitching staff isn't going to be any better either. Next year's Jays could be very frustrating.

BFIB

Theres only baseball Gods.

gamz

I think that's basically most baseball teams.

Players religion almost always is $$$

4/60 to me is what Fowler should get. He has good on base skills but he's streaky.

Scott Boras is a champion of (his potential clients) the people

https://www.apnews.com/f5a0a0ba64b3...lFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

I do think the hard cap is going to be worse than a potential draft. I don't think baseball is in any danger in the DR, at least for a lifetime but I can confirm that in Venezuela soccer is at least as popular as baseball, maybe more.

Baseball is salvaged by the fact that we have awesome players who are personalities here and we don't really have any good soccer players but I do think soccer can surpass baseball here.

Basketball can and will make a dent in The Dominican Republic.

Hearing on the local radio that Jansen has made it race between the Marlins and the Nationals. Taking it with a grain of salt but if true, damn.

I hear the White Sox have a Robertson to sell?

zulux21

Hearing on the local radio that Jansen has made it race between the Marlins and the Nationals. Taking it with a grain of salt but if true, damn.

I hear the White Sox have a Robertson to sell?

if you are in the market for a closer yes.

if you just need a reliever there is

nate jones (right) (2.29 era .89 WHIP)
Dan Jennings (left) (2.08 era 1.4 WHIP)
Tommy Kahnle (right) (2.63 era 1.5 WHIP)
Zach Putnam (right) (2.30 ERA 1.32 WHIP)
Michael Ynoa (right) (3 ERA 1.23 WHIP) <--- might not be avalible due to so many years of control.

if you need a 5th starter
Miguel Gonzalez (right) (3.73 ERA 1.24 WHIP over 135 innings last year... was a mid season replacement)

aka the white sox likely have a lot of moves left before the start of the season still. I can't imagine them moving Sale and Eaton without attempting to move everyone that won't be around in 3 years.

Dodgers have to keep Jansen or Turner.

turner seems more likely.

either way it might not be their call, aren't the dodgers quite limited on spending this year due to large amounts of debt?

Dodgers have to keep Jansen or Turner.
Turner is a given I think.

Once Chapman got that contract from the Yankees I think the writing was on the wall in terms of the Dodgers keeping Jansen. He would be stupid to not take the Miami deal. If the Dodgers walk into spring training without a viable closer then they're in huge trouble. I mean just imagine Pedro Baez working the 9th inning against the Nationals in Game 5.

BFIB

Once Chapman got that contract from the Yankees I think the writing was on the wall in terms of the Dodgers keeping Jansen. He would be stupid to not take the Miami deal. If the Dodgers walk into spring training without a viable closer then they're in huge trouble.
If anything, you know he will be traded as a Marlin. :)

We have a Betances to sell you. It'll cost you one Urias.

futuramafry.jpg

zulux21

And that's what hurts the most.

Jeffrey Loria can't keep getting away with this.

why not, it seems like the type of thing MLB enjoys. he makes a splash with the signing, makes a splash with the trade.. MLB gets headlines :p

but yeah I wonder if he signs with the marlins if he is traded this year or next.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Because he smokes weed?

Archaic rule. If he was on the 40 man he wouldn't even get a suspension
All true. But also they're the rules right now and 50 games is a lot of lost development time for a SP. So from the team's perspective, I get it if they think that's a real continual risk.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Once Chapman got that contract from the Yankees I think the writing was on the wall in terms of the Dodgers keeping Jansen. He would be stupid to not take the Miami deal. If the Dodgers walk into spring training without a viable closer then they're in huge trouble. I mean just imagine Pedro Baez working the 9th inning against the Nationals in Game 5.
Playoffs.... How cute.

BFIB

It's going to be fun comparing Fowler and Heyward's stats over the next few years. Heyward not choosing to stay might be the biggest blessing in disguise.

jbug617

Banned
White Sox wanted Devers but ended up stop asking for him in the Sale trade

@bradfo: According to MLB source, Rafael Devers was piece White Sox stopped asking for that pushed Sale deal to completion.

Cubs talking to Tyson Ross.

Can't think of a better team to go to prove he's healthy for his FA in 2018.

I would think any team that isn't competing would be better. On a team in contention the pressure would be to drop him if he starts rough. A rebuilding team can give him more time.

Any rebuilding team with a clear need in their rotation would be the best fit.

gamz

I would think any team that isn't competing would be better. On a team in contention the pressure would be to drop him if he starts rough. A rebuilding team can give him more time.

Any rebuilding team with a clear need in their rotation would be the best fit.

A team with the defense of the Cubs, their history of projects, and one of the best pitching coaches in the game would be the right call.

A team with the defense of the Cubs, their history of projects, and one of the best pitching coaches in the game would be the right call.

Ross might not even pick up a baseball until spring training. He barely pitched opening day 2016 and hasn't pitched since.

You think Chicago and the Cubs are going to be patient with Ross if he starts out rough, which he almost assuredly will? I have a hard time believing that given the Cubs and Chicago are thirsty for more success.

(Frankly, San Diego non-tendering him is a clear sign the medicals look bad.)

gamz

Ross might not even pick up a baseball until spring training. He barely pitched opening day 2016 and hasn't pitched since.

You think Chicago and the Cubs are going to be patient with Ross if he starts out rough, which he almost assuredly will? I have a hard time believing that given the Cubs and Chicago are thirsty for more success.

(Frankly, San Diego non-tendering him is a clear sign the medicals look bad.)

Of course. They have a history of this. He'd be a luxury if he can make it back at anytime during the season.

Of course. They have a history of this. He'd be a luxury if he can make it back at anytime during the season.

They have a history of it when they were rebuilding, when they can afford to take risks. But the type of moves a rebuilding club makes are different than the moves one in contention makes.

RBH

Braves trying to move Alex Jackson back to catcher?

The first change the Braves will attempt to evoke is Alex Jackson’s position.

The franchise immediately asked if he’d consider going back behind the plate, which could alter his ceiling and path to the majors. It’s an ongoing conversation. The team’s scouting department believes he can successfully transition back to his high-school position, potentially adding his name to the organization’s catching overhaul in the low minors via international signings (Abrahan Gutierrez), the amateur draft (Lucas Herbert, Brett Cumberland) and trades (Kade Scivicque, Ricardo Rodriguez).

“We’ll see where that goes,” Coppolella said of Jackson moving to catcher. “We don’t want to put any pressure on him. But it is a big area of need for us in the future. We’ve been clear about that.”
http://www.foxsports.com/south/story/braves-optimistic-prospect-alex-jackson-upside-120916

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom