• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortemis

Banned
Now that they got Turner locked down, do y'all think they're serious with re-signing Jansen? I thought I read that they're more hesitant to add on to their luxury taxes, but idk what they're thinking.

BFIB

So Joey Bats really wanted to sign with Boston, but Boston said they're out of payroll space. You can thank Allen Craig for that.

RBH

That time in 1992 when Barry Bonds almost became an Atlanta Brave..........

Had the Pittsburgh Pirates not reneged on a trade in 1992, nine months before Barry Bonds became a free agent and signed with the San Francisco Giants, Barry Bonds would have been a member of the Atlanta Braves.

And as John Schuerholz, the Braves' general manager, writes in his new book, "Built to Win" (Warner Books), he was confident the Braves could have signed Bonds to a long-term contract. "We were flying high back then," Schuerholz writes, "and our payroll was beginning to grow."

The deal, Schuerholz writes, was done: Bonds for pitcher Alejandro Peña, outfielder Keith Mitchell and a prospect to be named. "I was euphoric," he writes. "Barry Bonds was a Brave!"

The trade was to be announced the next day, and on that day, Schuerholz called his Pirates counterpart, Ted Simmons, to coordinate the timing of the announcement.

The book, scheduled for publication April 2, relates the conversation between the two general managers:

"We have a problem," Simmons said.

"What do you mean, a problem?" Schuerholz said. "Don't want to release it just yet? What?"

"I can't do the deal," Simmons said.

Simmons went on to explain that when he told Jim Leyland, the Pirates' manager, about the trade, Leyland "blew up."

Bonds was the Pirates' best player. With him as their primary threat, the Pirates had won the National League East Division title the previous two seasons and were considered likely to win it that year as well. (They did.) Bonds had been the National League most valuable player in 1990 and would be again the next two seasons after the aborted trade.

"When informed of the trade," Schuerholz writes, "Jim went barging into Pirates President Cark Barger's office and, according to Ted, went absolutely haywire. He said Barger came back to him and said it was a situation so troublesome to the manager and this and that, they couldn't do the deal. And ultimately it was called off."

Even though Bonds was a Brave for 15 hours, Schuerholz writes that he wasn't sure that Bonds ever knew about the trade. At the Giants camp here yesterday, Bonds said, "I know Leyland stopped them from trading me," but he didn't know specifically about the Braves.

Schuerholz, who has been the Braves' general manager throughout their unparalleled run of 14 consecutive division championships, said he had never had a team back out of a trade before and hasn't had it happen since.

Had the Pirates not backed out of that deal, Schuerholz writes, it "might have changed the course of baseball history in a number of ways." He added: "Though Barry couldn't have produced more division titles for us, might he have powered us to another World Series title or two? Would he have developed into the same prolific home run hitter he became in San Francisco after his move to the Giants?"
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/sports/baseball/before-balco-bonds-was-almost-a-brave.html

zulux21

We need to trade soon. Don't want to go every day knowing Baez is our current closer until we get one.

here's hoping you match up with the white sox.

I want to see more of the players gone soon. I want to get a better idea of who I am gonna get to watch next season lol.

I suffered through 3 years of 100+ losses. He can deal :p

I dunno, as one gets older one becomes more a connoisseur of the sport. I just love the baseball.

Look again at that pale blue dot called the Earth. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone team you love, every team you know, every team you ever heard of, every team that ever was, played out their seasons. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident late season leads, shift ideologies, and salary doctrines, every pitcher and catcher, every MVP and bench player, every fireballing righthander and crafty lefthander, every Bonds and Biancalana, every free agent and team in love, every Wilpon and Moreno, hopeful fan, coach and coached, every super rope vendor, every broadcaster, every "superstar," every clubhouse guy, every saint and sinner in the history of the sport lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

Look again at that pale blue dot called the Earth. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone team you love, every team you know, every team you ever heard of, every team that ever was, played out their seasons. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident late season leads, shift ideologies, and salary doctrines, every pitcher and catcher, every MVP and bench player, every fireballing righthander and crafty lefthander, every Bonds and Biancalana, every free agent and team in love, every Wilpon and Moreno, hopeful fan, coach and coached, every super rope vendor, every broadcaster, every "superstar," every clubhouse guy, every saint and sinner in the history of the sport lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

2deep4me

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Lol Nats.

8xvOmdw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom