• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
white sox have htis guy named brett lawrie... I am sure he would give you a solid 60 games or so :p

brett-lawrie-1.jpg

This dude?

Braves have signed John Danks. Continuing a proud tradition of signing White Sox rejects. Of the top of my head there were Beckham, Flowers, AJ, Grilli, Bonifacio and Harrell.

I thought they stopped tanking? ;)

zulux21

Braves have signed John Danks. Continuing a proud tradition of signing White Sox rejects. Of the top of my head there were Beckham, Flowers, AJ, Grilli, Bonifacio and Harrell.

to be fair a number of those worked out okay for them :p (not great but above replacement without big contracts)

and also to be fair if danks' arm is rested and they use him as a pen guy instead of a starter that lets him get his fastball back he could be potentially be effective.

RBH

I look forward to all of the........Dank memes.
NH9gE7v.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So I'm looking at my long-term roster projections, and I see that I have the 2021 Braves set to win 109 games. Do you guys think that's too optimistic?

So, remember last year the Cleveland Indians, after they said they were phasing out Chief Wahoo, decided to wear the racist as fuck alternates with the old hat during the playoffs, showing why the Indians logo is fucking disgusting and racist to a national audience?

No more.

indians-uniforms-2017.png

The cream colored uniforms with 'CLEVELAND' written in block letters is no more (Shame, cause I like that uniform in all actuality) but the straight red block C hat that was in the cream unis will be shifted over to the navy blue alts. Unfortunately, the Chief Wahoo logo will still be on the sleeve, banishing Cleveland to be kicking and screaming into a future where we don't have caricatures of First Nations on sports jerseys.

A good first step, though it doesn't stop dumbass fans from keeping it alive, like so:

w768xh576_fan.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So, remember last year the Cleveland Indians, after they said they were phasing out Chief Wahoo, decided to wear the racist as fuck alternates with the old hat during the playoffs, showing why the Indians logo is fucking disgusting and racist to a national audience?

No more.

indians-uniforms-2017.png

The cream colored uniforms with 'CLEVELAND' written in block letters is no more (Shame, cause I like that uniform in all actuality) but the straight red block C hat that was in the cream unis will be shifted over to the navy blue alts. Unfortunately, the Chief Wahoo logo will still be on the sleeve, banishing Cleveland to be kicking and screaming into a future where we don't have caricatures of First Nations on sports jerseys.

A good first step, though it doesn't stop dumbass fans from keeping it alive, like so:

w768xh576_fan.jpg
the braves should bring back chief knock-a-homa

RBH

The Braves struck out Tuesday with a county commission in southwest Florida, which unanimously rejected further negotiations with the team about building a spring-training stadium in the Naples area.

The Collier County Board of Commissioners voted 5-0 to discontinue talks with the Braves, who are seeking public funds for a new spring home for 2019 and beyond.

A feasibility study by the county, which had been in discussions with the Braves for about six months, suggested the stadium project would cost as much as $101 million and would be funded largely with taxpayer dollars.

Braves Vice Chairman John Schuerholz spoke to the board before its vote, asking commissioners to “give us a chance to negotiate with Collier County so that we might someday locate our spring-training facility here.”

As it turned out, that won’t happen.

“We learned there was not the positive momentum that you need to have a project like that go forward,” Schuerholz told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution after the vote. “So that’s that as far as Collier County is concerned.”

Nine members of the public spoke to the board about the project Tuesday, with seven expressing firm opposition to using taxpayer money.

Commissioners shared that concern, with several saying during the meeting, which was streamed on the county’s website, that money should go toward beach restoration or roads instead of a stadium.

They also questioned the value the county would get from the project, considering that spring training falls during an already busy tourist season.

“As much as I love sports tourism … in this particular situation we don’t need any tourists in February and March,” Commissioner Donna Fiala said. “We already have so much that we’re overloaded with it. And to try and add more is just going to complicate moving around the county even more than it is right now.

“Secondly, it says right here (in the feasibility study) the team almost always retains all revenue streams from facility operations. So that means we get to pay for the facility and they get to keep the revenue generated from it. That doesn’t hit me right.”

Commissioner Andy Solis said the Braves’ time frame for building the stadium is “undoable” and “unrealistic” in his mind.

The Braves, who have a recent history of securing taxpayer dollars for major- and minor-league stadiums, have been searching for a new spring-training home for more than two years.

They want to leave Disney World’s sports complex, where they have trained since 1998, to get closer to other teams’ facilities on either coast of Florida. After originally aiming to move in spring 2018, the Braves re-set their target to 2019 because of a lack of progress in talks with several counties.

The team continues to have discussions with a development in the Sarasota County city of North Port, Schuerholz said. The team also is “continuing to talk to Palm Beach County,” he said.

“It has been slow going, and I don’t think any of us expected that,” Schuerholz said. “We’re still in communication — still grinding along — with Palm Beach County and also Sarasota County.”

Collier County’s study said the project would have required an increase in the local hotel tax from 4 percent to 5 percent, as well as money from the state of Florida, the Braves and the county’s general fund.

The study estimated debt service and operating expenses would have cost up to $9.7 million per year and could have been covered by $5.2 million from the hotel tax increase, $1 million from the state, up to $2.5 million from the Braves and $1 million from the general fund.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/...braves-spring-stadium/LCSdcoSLr2zDEpUn0jmNhN/

So /r/baseball's spotlight on teams in 30 days has reached the Jays. This isn't of note seemingly, but there is one passage I want to highlight:

That leaves the Jays with Plan C. What is Plan C? We aren’t sure yet. It supposedly involves names like Saunders, Revere, Curtis Granderson, and Jay Bruce. They are a far-cry from Encarnacion and Fowler. Jays fans are currently feeling fairly frustrated with ownership, as they believe that Rogers - a multi-billion dollar telecommunications company - could invest more in the team. At the moment, they are expected to have a payroll in the $165M range. It will be interesting to see what players are brought in to try to keep the competitive window open for a few more years.

So certainly, the complaints that Jays-GAF has had in regards to the penny-pinching from Rogers (Which I try to bang the drum on as much as possible) is shared across the entire diaspora of Jays fans. You would think that with the increased renewal of baseball in Canada, Rogers would want to up the budget of the Jays and make them competitive. Nope! Still a fuckin' Mickey Mouse operation.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So /r/baseball's spotlight on teams in 30 days has reached the Jays. This isn't of note seemingly, but there is one passage I want to highlight:

So certainly, the complaints that Jays-GAF has had in regards to the penny-pinching from Rogers (Which I try to bang the drum on as much as possible) is shared across the entire diaspora of Jays fans. You would think that with the increased renewal of baseball in Canada, Rogers would want to up the budget of the Jays and make them competitive. Nope! Still a fuckin' Mickey Mouse operation.

At the same time, $165mm isn't a small number. It's not like your team is owned by Walmart yet forced to run $85mm payrolls.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Just received my NES Classic.

Bummer there's no Bases Loaded on it.

I want an SNES one.

But I know they are going to do the same shit they always do, and produce less of a product and be like "we didn't know there would be so much demand for this".

So if they ever do make one, it won't be until a while.

At the same time, $165mm isn't a small number. It's not like your team is owned by Walmart yet forced to run $85mm payrolls.

No, and it isn't, and I am sure some of the minnows in the MLB that would kill for the payroll that the Jays have.

But the Jays need to spend money to be competitive in the AL East. That's all it is, a zero sum game where money is ultimately the answer. And it's a one way street too: Rogers uses the Jays as a lynchpin to Sportsnet's coverage (Maybe less so now with them owning the full Hockey Night in Canada contract until like 2025, but I wouldn't be surprised with the diminishing returns that they are getting right off the jump and will continue to get due to cord-cutters, they'll focus on the Jays more) and they get probably the highest TV numbers in all the MLB because they are broadcasting all the games on a specialty channel which you can essentially get over the air. You think that making the beaucoup bucks Rogers is making, they would care more about the team and give them a higher payroll to work with so that we can compete with the Yankees, Red Sox in free agency. Alas, we are forced to look at the also-rans and scraps as a Plan A.

BFIB

I want an SNES one.

But I know they are going to do the same shit they always do, and produce less of a product and be like "we didn't know there would be so much demand for this".

So if they ever do make one, it won't be until a while.

I just happen to post in the NES Classic thread, mostly just venting about not being able to get one and a fellow Gaffer said he had an extra and would sell at cost + shipping. I moved on that faster than Malo putting mustard on a hot dog.

I just happen to post in the NES Classic thread, mostly just venting about not being able to get one and a fellow Gaffer said he had an extra and would sell at cost + shipping. I moved on that faster than Malo putting mustard on a hot dog.

what? I thought Malo was team ketchup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom