• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

Oh man, BFIB is going to get the full wrath of the Evil Empire now...

fungi.gif
Cubs won the WS. It can't get any lower for me.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
No, and it isn't, and I am sure some of the minnows in the MLB that would kill for the payroll that the Jays have.

But the Jays need to spend money to be competitive in the AL East. That's all it is, a zero sum game where money is ultimately the answer. And it's a one way street too: Rogers uses the Jays as a lynchpin to Sportsnet's coverage (Maybe less so now with them owning the full Hockey Night in Canada contract until like 2025, but I wouldn't be surprised with the diminishing returns that they are getting right off the jump and will continue to get due to cord-cutters, they'll focus on the Jays more) and they get probably the highest TV numbers in all the MLB because they are broadcasting all the games on a specialty channel which you can essentially get over the air. You think that making the beaucoup bucks Rogers is making, they would care more about the team and give them a higher payroll to work with so that we can compete with the Yankees, Red Sox in free agency. Alas, we are forced to look at the also-rans and scraps as a Plan A.

Do you happen to have a Blue Jays payroll spreadsheet handy? I'm curious about where the money is going.

I'd rather the Jays remain flexible for next year and beyond than spend 190m to bring back virtually he same team as last season.

Also, I want to mention this in post, but does Rogers even know how goddamn important next year's FA Agency class is? A class like this comes once every leap year essentially, and it could determine where the Jays end up in 5, 10, hell even 15 years.

Adam Eaton could be first domino to fall in what will be Bryce Harper's departure

Say hello to Adam (Spanky) Eaton. Start saying goodbye to Bryce Harper. They’re connected.

Remember how the Nationals “moved on” from Ian Desmond and Jordan Zimmermann when, two years before they became free agents, the Nats decided they probably couldn’t sign either to a long-term extension? One day, Desmond and Zimmermann were important pieces of the Nationals’ future. The next, they were replaced, even though they were still team fixtures in the present.

That’s probably what’s happening to Harper now.

In Eaton, the Nats just got a first-rate outfielder for the next five years. At bat, on the bases and in defensive value, Eaton is comparable to what Anthony Rendon provides at third base. Eaton’s first two years in Washington probably will be as a solid center fielder. But his real knack is right field, where last year he graded as one of the best at any position. And that’s where he would fit on the 2019, 2020 and 2021 rosters if Victor Robles, 19, approximates his elite-prospect status and takes over in center field.

Where does that leave Harper? Probably in some other city.

Jon

Multiple reports (this from CSN Philly) said:
The Phillies on Thursday signed Odubel Herrera to a five-year contract that runs through the end of the 2021 season. The deal is worth a guaranteed $30.5 million and does not contain a no-trade clause, a major league source tells CSN Philly's Jim Salisbury.

The deal also includes club options for 2022 and 2023 at $11.5 million and $12.5 million.

This is an extremely team-friendly contract for the Phillies. Hoping Herrera maintains his trajectory and doesn't fall into the bad habits of the second part of last season. This is the only money on the books for the Phillies after this upcoming season.

This is an extremely team-friendly contract for the Phillies. Hoping Herrera maintains his trajectory and doesn't fall into the bad habits of the second part of last season. This is the only money on the books for the Phillies after this upcoming season.

Yeah I like the deal a lot he's a fun player to watch. Hopefully he continues to grow along with the team.

Watch winter ball. I'm heading to the Dominican Republic after finals are done and plan to catch some games while I'm there.

Go escogido!

Good luck, I'm freezing my ass off here in Canada-land.

CzvqM-yWEAAO2JC.jpg

TLDR: Torii Hunter's kid is done playing football at Notre Dame, will be pursuing baseball career with the Angels

Jesus Christ, some of those guys would turn the Baseball HOF into the Basketball HOF where everyone gets in.

I think Bagwell, Hoffmann and Raines are getting in this year. Ivan Rodriguez will be close but I don't think he'll make it. It's a pretty weak class for this year.

bebop242

Chapman still complaining about Maddon lol.

Don't blame him honesty. They rode him hard fully knowing that they were not going to bring him back the following year. Borderline reckless. I'm not a big fan of Chapman but he did what was asked of him at the time without making a stink about it.

I'm curious if the overuse will cost anything with his performance next season.

Hey baseball nerds, GAF's OOTP league just hit the offseason, perfect time to join. We're rolling into the 2024 season and a guy with the nickname "Fertile" just came in 2nd in MVP voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom