• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there hope for baseball's dwellers?

Of note is the Padres:

We always hesitate to use that magic word, "tanking," to describe any franchise. But folks on other teams -- not to mention nearly every agent on the planet -- seem to share none of that hesitation when they talk about the current version of the Padres.

"They're the poster child for tanking," said an exec. "They get millions of dollars in revenue sharing. They spend none of it on players."

Well, that's not exactly true. They're going to spend $28 million next year to pay players who used to play for them. But that's $2 million more than their projected payroll for players who will play for them in 2017, according to baseball-reference.com. We count 15 players in baseball who average more dollars than that per year in their current contracts -- by themselves.

Though, on the bright side according to the article:
Also in their defense, the Padres spent more than $70 million this year on amateur players and a bunch of much-hyped international free agents. And Keith Law rates their system as one of best in baseball. So if you get back to us in three years, they'll have a whole different score on the Hope Meter.

As much as people will say that San Diego still is doing pretty good (Cue comments about good weather and a nice stadium) the team fucking sucks, and the fact that they spent their payroll bump two years ago and basically had it blow up in their faces, alongside a generally incompetent front office lead by fuckwit AJ Preller, trying times are ahead for the Fathers, I think.

Also, of note in regards to Fenway Park:

Red Sox willing to squeeze fielders for new seats

In an effort to satisfy demand for premium seating that will provide significant new revenue to the team, the Red Sox have begun construction at Fenway that will add 124 new seats between and beyond each dugout. The dugouts will expand as well. Both additions move toward the field, meaning Fenway Park’s already diminutive foul territory will shrink even more.

The change logically would create a slight increase in uncatchable foul balls, which would mean longer at-bats, more pitches thrown and longer games. Fenway’s seating capacity will increase to 38,073.

Calculating an expansion at the bottom of the seating bowl of roughly 31⁄2 feet outward, approximately 1,600 more square feet of foul territory will be lost, easily making Fenway’s foul territory the smallest. Fenway Park’s fair territory of 102,855 square feet, the smallest in the majors, will remain unchanged.

So, why not just put some seats on the mound at Fenway? Hope to god they extend netting to these new seats. Someone's going to get killed.

As much as people will say that San Diego still is doing pretty good (Cue comments about good weather and a nice stadium) the team fucking sucks, and the fact that they spent their payroll bump two years ago and basically had it blow up in their faces, alongside a generally incompetent front office lead by fuckwit AJ Preller, trying times are ahead for the Fathers, I think.

This is pretty good.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I wonder if the Retro mode is going to have period specific players then.

Will Jon Dowd still be a righty or will they make him a proper lefty?

kmGeVzS.jpg

Beckx

in today's episode of That's So Bucs, the Pirates have signed former Diamondbacks reliever & two-time TJ surgery recipient Daniel Hudson for 2 years / $11M.

zulux21

in today's episode of That's So Bucs, the Pirates have signed former Diamondbacks reliever & two-time TJ surgery recipient Daniel Hudson for 2 years / $11M.

I still hate that the white sox traded him away for edwin jackson (they would have been better off just keeping him but that is besides the point)

but I am not really sure why you would give him 2 years 11 mil o_O

I can't imagine the white sox are asking a ton for Tommy Kahnle or another 6-7th inning guy who would likely be more useful, and only cost an okay AA or a good A prospect o_O

i thought the pirates had money issues.

This off-season sucks.

Yes, I know that Atkins is (likely) betting on 2017's FA class and it's not as if the Jays are running a sub-100 payroll...

but still.

Chase17

Claaaaaaaay

He will be missed. A true legend

Fun fact(or more like though), I think there is no one close to pedroia for longest tenured Red Sox player
now

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Both Posey and Bumgarner would've been in this offseason's FA market if they hadn't signed extensions a while back.

Bum would've broke the bank in this FA class.

BFIB

Both Posey and Bumgarner would've been in this offseason's FA market if they hadn't signed extensions a while back.

Bum would've broke the bank in this FA class.
They also know to stay on the good side of devil magic shenanigans.

Potential hall of famer John Dowd's body still hasn't been found.

RBH

33NHsbhh.jpg

Thanks for the Bay Area treats, CosmicQueso!

This is awesome

I always preferred the A's over the Giants!

Beckx

sounds like there may be a crazy three way trade in the works with Cutch going to the Mets, Quintana to the Pirates, and prospects to the White Sox.

rando14

Malo and I are the two branches of The Council

I am Mustard, he is Ketchup. Sort of like Yin and Yang, we achieve perfect balance and harmony in the baseball universe

You should try senf mustard, it is fucking amazing.

As a native German speaker this just souns weird as Senf is literally the German word for mustard. Mustard mustard is definitely not the most creative name a marketing department has come up with.

I really like the Pirates as a potential destination for Quintana. A package of Meadoes, Bell and some lower level guys sure is exciting.

Beckx

As a native German speaker this just souns weird as Senf is literally the German word for mustard. Mustard mustard is definitely not the most creative name a marketing department has come up with.

I really like the Pirates as a potential destination for Quintana. A package of Meadoes, Bell and some lower level guys sure is exciting.

Wouldn't have Meadows if it's a trade involving Cutch going to Mets. Bell, plus Mets prospects, plus who knows (Glasnow?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom