• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
Another problem with drivers in DR is that all of them are super aggressive and don't respect street signs, they go on red lights, they'll make a one/two way street into multiple lanes, etc. And the worst offenders are the motoconchos who cause most accidents. I just got back from DR a week ago and driving is as bad as ever over there.

RIP Ventura and Marte.

Parch

Unfortunate. Are Taxis or Uber difficult to find in DR?
For somebody like Ventura, hiring a designated driver certainly could have been a possibility. Drinking and driving should never be the choice.

Don't want to be gauche, but I had two question that I wanted to drop before bed.

1) Does anyone have a recommendation for a frame that they've used for baseball cards? I wanted to find a nice frame that could hold a bunch of cards to display some of my favorite players as a space saving and perhaps slightly classier alternative to posters.

2) Those of us who were in it, the fantasy league will still be going on again this year right?

Thanks chaps.

Unfortunate. Are Taxis or Uber difficult to find in DR?
For somebody like Ventura, hiring a designated driver certainly could have been a possibility. Drinking and driving should never be the choice.

Taxis aren't any better. that's not the problem, the problem is drivers and terrible roads. I can't tell you how many friends and family I've lost to those roads. it never surprises me.
the government (LOL) needs to seriously invest in infrastructure, the metro in Santo Domingo is a good start but it is a small country, the smaller towns need a serious investment in transportation.

and I hate to say this but teams will shy away from Dominican players if they know they will spend their off-seasons down in the island. what's the point in investing in a guy if he's going to end up dead a few years later?

this is Ventura's Jeep after the accident.

201701221544041.jpeg

201701221541561.jpeg

Andy Marte's car

pelotero-andy-marte-llevaba-una-caja-de-whisky-en-la-yipeta.jpeg

has NOT been confirmed yet but Andy had a case of Whisky in his car, I'm still looking for sources. but the SUV he was driving (alone) was completely destroyed. he was speeding.

*sigh* teams, family, society, anyone has to intervene with these and start hammering into their fucking heads NO DRINKING AND DRIVING EVER!!! stop fucking hanging out with the neighborhood guys, grow the fuck up already! jeez! so frustrating to still be reading about this in my mid-thirties.

Drinking and driving is something everybody pretty much does in DR. take with that crazy winding roads with no street lights and crazy motorcycles sometimes with no damn headlights, its insane. I wouldnt drive at night over there.

I wonder if in the wake of this stuff teams will start assigning drivers to prospects from the DR or something.

Forsythe is a pretty good 2B consolation prize for LA. Will be interesting to see what happens to Dozier's market now. Twins might have bluffed their way out of a legit prospect.

Taxis aren't any better. that's not the problem, the problem is drivers and terrible roads. I can't tell you how many friends and family I've lost to those roads. it never surprises me.
the government (LOL) needs to seriously invest in infrastructure, the metro in Santo Domingo is a good start but it is a small country, the smaller towns need a serious investment in transportation.

and I hate to say this but teams will shy away from Dominican players if they know they will spend their off-seasons down in the island. what's the point in investing in a guy if he's going to end up dead a few years later?

this is Ventura's Jeep after the accident.

201701221544041.jpeg

201701221541561.jpeg

Andy Marte's car

pelotero-andy-marte-llevaba-una-caja-de-whisky-en-la-yipeta.jpeg

has NOT been confirmed yet but Andy had a case of Whisky in his car, I'm still looking for sources. but the SUV he was driving (alone) was completely destroyed. he was speeding.

*sigh* teams, family, society, anyone has to intervene with these and start hammering into their fucking heads NO DRINKING AND DRIVING EVER!!! stop fucking hanging out with the neighborhood guys, grow the fuck up already! jeez! so frustrating to still be reading about this in my mid-thirties.
Lost my aunt because of a car accident. People have no regard for safety over there. She was in a crowded SUV with a bunch of kids in the back, her daughter was driving, and she was carrying her granddaughter on her lap and the lock on the passenger door was messed up. Apparently it was raining and my cousin went into a turn too fast and the suv overturned.

My other cousin's father's brother died in a car accident and the people didn't wait to rob him of his possessions while he laid dying on the road.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Giants agree to terms with Korean third baseman Jae-gyun Hwang

The club has agreed to terms with Korean infielder Jae-gyun Hwang on a minor league contract that includes an invitation to major league spring training. Hwang would earn $1.5 million if he makes the big league roster; the contract includes additional incentives based on games played, and also has several opt-out dates if Hwang is in the minor leagues.

The contract wasn’t official and the team hasn’t yet announced it, likely because it is pending a physical.

The Giants already have Eduardo Núñez under contract to play third base with Conor Gillaspie expected to see time at the position as well. But if the club likes what it sees from Hwang, his presence could push Núñez into the super-utility role that he previously held with the Minnesota Twins.

Hwang, 29, is coming off the best season of his career for Lotte Giants in Korea. The right-handed hitter posted a .335/.394/.570 slash line with a career high 27 home runs and 25 stolen bases – the fifth consecutive year in which he swiped at least 20.

He made his intention to play in the U.S. known to Lotte, rejecting “a sizable offer” from the club, according to Yonhap News Agency. The Giants were among the clubs who attended Hwang’s showcase in Florida earlier this offseason, and were said to be impressed with his contact skills.

sorry i have abandoned my mlb brethren but i am back!

Bruce Chen will pitch for Team Chine in the WBC. Vance Worley is considering to pitch for them also.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The worst bottleneck in the country is in Atlanta, where northbound Interstate 85 conspires with Interstate 285 to snarl traffic in what’s known as “spaghetti junction.” Fort Lee, Chicago (I-290 and I-90), Louisville (I-65 and I-64), Cincinnati (I-71 and I-75), Los Angeles (State 60 and State 57), Auburn, Wash. (State 18 and State 167), Houston (I-45 and U.S. 59), Atlanta (I-75 and I-285), and Seattle (I-5 and I-90) round out the top 10.
Suntrust Park is going to be great for Traffic at I-75 and I-285!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.d2ec623c6cf4

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Looks like Law is going to have 10 Braves in his Top 100. Not bad.

Already had Sean Newcomb, Luiz Gohara, Kevin Maitan, Ian Anderson, and Max Fried, which leaves Swanson, Ozzie Albies, Kolby Allard, Ronald Acuna, and probably Mike Soroka all is his Top 40.

Windu

Looks like Law is going to have 10 Braves in his Top 100. Not bad.

Already had Sean Newcomb, Luiz Gohara, Kevin Maitan, Ian Anderson, and Max Fried, which leaves Swanson, Ozzie Albies, Kolby Allard, Ronald Acuna, and probably Mike Soroka all is his Top 40.
and with others that probably just missed the top 100.

Malo

Banned
Speaking of prospect list, MLB pipeline released their top ten SS list today. They have Torres at number 1, Swanson at 2, and Rosario at 3.

A little surprised to see Torres ahead of Swanson since Swanson made it to the bigs last season and Torres has yet to play in AA. Torres is going to be a top 3 prospect for MLB Pipeline. What a trade.

Windu

Speaking of prospect list, MLB pipeline released their top ten SS list today. They have Torres at number 1, Swanson at 2, and Rosario at 3.

A little surprised to see Torres ahead of Swanson since Swanson made it to the bigs last season and Torres has yet to play in AA. Torres is going to be a top 3 prospect for MLB Pipeline. What a trade.
prospect lists are usually about future potential. Torres probably has a higher ceiling than swanson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom