• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

0YKpwbZ.gif

reported.

E: Tragic, Anaheim is not L.A.

zulux21

NL Worst. Giving the NL Least a run for its money.

to be fair chicago in general is running away from everyone right now :p

could be the last year chicago exists on the map of the US as the cubs and white sox could face each other, and regardless of the outcome (either the white sox win which causes the cubs fans to riot in anger or the cubs win which causes the cubs fans to riot in victory) it will turn into a disaster zone and perhaps just burn down :p

zulux21

Hey we got 3 teams over .500! (and the Barves, they don't count)

for the fun of it

Games over or below 500 by division

AL EAST
1 game under 500
AL central
6 games over 500
AL West
5 games under 500.

NL East
at 500
NL Central
9 games over 500
NL West
9 games below 500.

making the west the worst in both the AL and NL
East the middle of the pack in both AL and NL
and central the division to beat in both AL and NL at this point.

I wonder what sort of leash Gibby is on at this point. This isn't any different than his start last year. I do disagree with his bullpen management but some of what has gone wrong is out of his control.

E: Tragic, Anaheim is not L.A.

Dude, it's not my fault the team has a misleading, stupid name.

I actually had to look at it on Google Maps, and while it's clearly a separate city it doesn't really look like there are any gaps between LA and Anaheim. Giant metroplex or something.

harSon

Banned
I just wanted to say that the Neil Walker trade is biting us in the ass like everyone but the Pirate's organization knew it would. I guess Niese is technically undefeated.... with his amazing 5.08 era

BumRush

I just wanted to say that the Neil Walker trade is biting us in the ass like everyone but the Pirate's organization knew it would. I guess Niese is technically undefeated.... with his amazing 5.08 era

As a Mets fan, Niese was completely redundant. But we should wait until* Neil cools off a little before declaring a winner

*IF he cools off that is

Beckx

this is kind of funny since as of Monday Josh Harrison had a slightly higher overall WAR than Walker and much higher on defensive side (as in he's positive and Walker is negative). and he costs less. Pirates traded Walker at a point where they could get value for a player they could not afford (no way they can pay his asking price at the end of this season) and did not need (because Harrison is cheaper & better). these things don't happen in a vacuum and analyzing the move as Walker's value for Niese's value is misguided.

where would Neil Walker play in an infield with Kang, Mercer, Harrison, and Jaso with Bell waiting in the wings at Indy?

BumRush

this is kind of funny since as of Monday Josh Harrison had a slightly higher overall WAR than Walker and much higher on defensive side (as in he's positive and Walker is negative). and he costs less. Pirates traded Walker at a point where they could get value for a player they could not afford (no way they can pay his asking price at the end of this season) and did not need (because Harrison is cheaper & better). these things don't happen in a vacuum and analyzing the move as Walker's value for Niese's value is misguided.

But Niese really isn't that good. In 9 seasons he has a total WAR of 6.3. Walker's is 17+ in 7 seasons.

You're right that maybe they couldn't afford Walker (I'm not sure about the Pirates' financial situation) but Niese isn't a very good pitcher.

where would Neil Walker play in an infield with Kang, Mercer, Harrison, and Jaso with Bell waiting in the wings at Indy?

You'd find a spot for a guy with 9 home runs in April

Dude, it's not my fault the team has a misleading, stupid name.

I actually had to look at it on Google Maps, and while it's clearly a separate city it doesn't really look like there are any gaps between LA and Anaheim. Giant metroplex or something.
Difference is the city is located in a different county. I agree with you having the L.A. in the name is dumb. We L.A. people laugh everyday at that. Disney screwed it up in the first place getting rid of the California Angels name.

Beckx

But Niese really isn't that good. In 9 seasons he has a total WAR of 6.3. Walker's is 17+ in 7 seasons.

You're right that maybe they couldn't afford Walker (I'm not sure about the Pirates' financial situation) but Niese isn't a very good pitcher.

You'd find a spot for a guy with 9 home runs in April

no disagreement on Niese and no i'm not going to argue it's a balanced trade in the abstract. i like Walker and I'm glad he's doing well.

Walker had 16 HRs all of last year with a career high of 23 in 14. it's nice that he's hit 9 home runs in a month but it's silly to think that anyone expected that to happen & that it should have factored into trade decisions.

every Pirate fan knew 2015 was Walker's last season in Pittsburgh back last spring.

i like the infield we have now. but any pirate fan who thinks we should've just kept him and that doing so would have resulted in more wins at this point in 2016 is just not paying attention. Buc's don't need more offense. was a better pitcher available for trade based on Walker's stats from 2015 & overall cost? i dunno, but it doesn't seem like it.

BumRush

no disagreement on Niese and no i'm not going to argue it's a balanced trade in the abstract. i like Walker and I'm glad he's doing well.

Walker had 16 HRs all of last year with a career high of 23 in 14. it's nice that he's hit 9 home runs in a month but it's silly to think that anyone expected that to happen & that it should have factored into trade decisions.

every Pirate fan knew 2015 was Walker's last season in Pittsburgh back last spring.

i like the infield we have now. but any pirate fan who thinks we should've just kept him and that doing so would have resulted in more wins at this point in 2016 is just not paying attention. Buc's don't need more offense. was a better pitcher available for trade based on Walker's stats from 2015 & overall cost? i dunno, but it doesn't seem like it.

I like this thread. Genuinely good discussion in here.

And I agree with you. It might have been the best value you could get as starting pitching is a premium in baseball. The trade just LOOKS bad right now because Walker is the hottest hitter in baseball.

Difference is the city is located in a different county. I agree with you having the L.A. in the name is dumb. We L.A. people laugh everyday at that. Disney screwed it up in the first place getting rid of the California Angels name.

California Angels is the GOAT name, and I don't even like the team. Mistakes were made.

I like this thread. Genuinely good discussion in here.

And I agree with you. It might have been the best value you could get as starting pitching is a premium in baseball. The trade just LOOKS bad right now because Walker is the hottest hitter in baseball.

Walker is no Aledmys Diaz, though

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
best thing about minor league baseball. more day games to pass the time at work.

Toledo pulled a Twins and made a throwing error to allow the tying run to score. 1-1 in the bottom of the 9th. Gwinnett @ Toledo.

edit: and to extras

Pretty good Onion article today.

Cubs Fans Cautiously Optimistic After Jake Arrieta Throws 8th No-Hitter, Team Scores Over 30 Runs For 12th Consecutive Game

CHICAGO—Stressing that “it’s only April” and that “there’s a lot of baseball still to play,” Cubs fans throughout Chicago told reporters Thursday that they remain cautiously optimistic about their World Series chances after pitcher Jake Arrieta threw his eighth no-hitter of the season, with the team scoring over 30 runs for the 12th straight game. “The Cubs have started really well, and Kris Bryant already has 38 home runs on the year, but it won’t matter unless they can play like this in October,” said longtime fan Spencer Palmer, noting that while he is happy with their performances, he isn’t getting ahead of himself after the Cubs’ five-game sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals by a combined score of 168-0, which included seven different batters hitting for the cycle. “Arrieta’s thrown six perfect games in his last 10 starts, but if he gets hurt, we really just have Jon Lester, John Lackey, and Jason Hammel, and they’ve only thrown five no-hitters between them all season. If everyone can stay healthy and maintain their average of two triple plays per game, I think they’ll have a great shot in the playoffs. But we’ll see.” At press time, Palmer had reportedly lost all faith in the Cubs’ hopes for a championship after watching right fielder Jason Heyward strike out for the first time all season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Michael Fulmer (former Mets prospect used to nab Ces) is set to make his major league debut on Friday against the Twins.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
lol so Gwinnett scored 2 in the top of the 13th to take the lead 3-1. But now Toledo has scored 2 in the bottom half to tie. first and second with 1 out still. They are learning the ways of Barves.

http://www.milb.com/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2016_04_28_gwiaaa_tolaaa_1&mode=gameday

edit: and now 2 outs. 2nd and 3rd with Casey Mcgehee at the plate. (yes that one). wait, they are IBBing him. lol

edit 2: to the 14th. lol. both teams travel after this game so i wonder how long they will keep going.

Beckx

Jameson Taillon at Indy today:

7 IP (89 pitches), 1 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 7 K

not bad, not bad. looks like Glasnow is a little ahead of him but man if we just hang on til the second half things look brighter

Top Bottom