• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

harSon

Banned
no disagreement on Niese and no i'm not going to argue it's a balanced trade in the abstract. i like Walker and I'm glad he's doing well.

Walker had 16 HRs all of last year with a career high of 23 in 14. it's nice that he's hit 9 home runs in a month but it's silly to think that anyone expected that to happen & that it should have factored into trade decisions.

every Pirate fan knew 2015 was Walker's last season in Pittsburgh back last spring.

i like the infield we have now. but any pirate fan who thinks we should've just kept him and that doing so would have resulted in more wins at this point in 2016 is just not paying attention. Buc's don't need more offense. was a better pitcher available for trade based on Walker's stats from 2015 & overall cost? i dunno, but it doesn't seem like it.

I'm not mad that we traded Neil Walker, I'm mad that we got hosed in a trade. We currently have David Freese at 3B. Why not go into the season with Josh Harrison at 3B and Neil Walker at 2B? Mercer has been anything but consistent over his career, so there very well could have been room for Neil once Kang came back from his injury. Worst case scenario you have a 2B who has averaged 3.1 WAR over the last four seasons to trade to a desperate team before the deadline. Anything is better than giving him away in a straight up trade for Niese. Pitching is definitely our biggest issue, and that was obvious going into the off-season. Since we refuse to spend money, and let everyone walk for peanuts in the off season - you'd think they'd do a little more than give away a legitimately good 2B for someone who should be a back of the rotation guy or depth.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
finally. Gwinnett Braves beat the Toledo Mud Hens in 15 innings. 4-3. Up 2.5 games up in the International League. Opposite Barves.

harSon

Banned
Jameson Taillon at Indy today:

7 IP (89 pitches), 1 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 7 K

not bad, not bad. looks like Glasnow is a little ahead of him but man if we just hang on til the second half things look brighter

Taillon has actually had the better AAA season thus far, which I'm glad to see. I thought he'd come into the season rusty, consider he basically hasn't pitched in two years - but he's looking real solid thus far.

Beckx

Taillon has actually had the better AAA season thus far, which I'm glad to see. I thought he'd come into the season rusty, consider he basically hasn't pitched in two years - but he's looking real solid thus far.

yeah, i was definitely doubtful that he would come back solid, let alone this strong

late 2016 & 2017 rotation could be amazing.

Chase17

I'm glad that this series will wrap up before the Braves (possibly) lose their ninth straight. That is when they are the most dangerous.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Damn gaf ads
4n74ani.png

Chase17

That's a weird play. Bogaerts points at the bag, wonder what he asked. Should of been out in the first place so not a big deal.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/greg-maddux-tom-glavine-horrible-locker-room-pranks-042816 Greg Maddux, nasty as always.
Tom Glavine said:
"Greg was one of those guys that, when he went to the men's room, he didn't think twice about coming out and grabbing a t-shirt out of somebody's locker room and cleaning himself with it. [Laughs] Oh yeah. He did that to one of my lockermates at spring training and I saw him do it. And sure enough when we got back to Atlanta a week later, the guy, it was Walt Weiss, he came back to the locker room one day after batting practice and he kept smelling and looking around and she said 'Glav, something stinks in my locker.' And sure enough he figured out what it was went and found Mr. Maddux so he knew who did it."
Kevin Towers said:
"All I can tell you is 'don't eat the chili.'" former Padres and Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said in 2008. "I can't go any further than that. [Maddux put] foreign objects in the chili."
Via Passan
they have been trying to do that for the last few years. Had two trades that involved draft picks.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just saw the video on that caught stealing call. Honestly, I don't think replay should be overturning those kinds of plays. Mallex beat the throw to the bag, and he only lost contact for a fraction of a second. Really unnecessarily punishes the runner.

Chase17

Just saw the video on that caught stealing call. Honestly, I don't think replay should be overturning those kinds of plays. Mallex beat the throw to the bag, and he only lost contact for a fraction of a second. Really unnecessarily punishes the runner.

Yeah, I didn't like that they bothered to overturn the original call. Far more important whether he beats the ball to the bag rather then if he comes off it for half a second.

Kingbrave

Braves gonna win out!

Wooo!

I forgot what winning was like. It feels nice.

I remember the '80's and don't know why I'm complaining but goddamnit I miss the 90's.

Top Bottom