• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

lol this is great

DJYm6pnl.jpg

Fox318

I'm not usually a person to wear any jersey that isn't a Yankee one but the 86 mets jersey is great.

I saw a Strawberry one and was so close to picking it up.

prag16

Banned
Wow. Umpire crew chief telling some lies. Suuuure the NLDS had nothing to do with the quick hook... In fact, HOW quick it was basically proves the umpire went into the game already having decided what would happen if anything got too close to Utley. Snap decision my ass.

Cjl_E0TWYAMqxWm.jpg

Utley of course is in the troll hall of fame (even if he never makes the baseball hall of fame), even before this game, but definitely now. Even as a Mets fan, I almost have a appreciate the exquisite level of trolling on display tonight. Never seen anything like it.

Syndergaard for his part claims it just got away from him. Obviously untrue as well, but probably under orders to maintain plausible deniability and avoid a suspension (that a suspension would/could even be considered regardless of what he did or didn't say after the game is already absolutely ridiculous).

In no other sport do officials take center stage the way they do in MLB, and many of them clearly revel in it, with their emphatic gestures, chest bumping, and shouting matches. Egomaniacal power trips not seen among officials in any other professional sport, and it's been this way for a long time especially lately. These "Ump Show" type jokes/comments are made for a reason, and aren't actually in jest. This is something MLB needs to fix. Fans don't pay to watch umpire power/ego trips. The sellout crowd and national TV audience sure as hell didn't get what they signed up for tonight.

Why does it matter if the Doyers use a laser pointer to align their defence? How does it hurt the game or how is it cheating? Who gives a shit?

Chris R

Mariners will be swept by the worst team in the AL at home, after being swept by the worst team in the AL West at home :(

Suuuuuuuuuuuucks

prag16

Banned
Hey "Thor", this is what you need to do to Utley:

083015_chc_arrieta_final_out_lo_39z3az9w.gif
He did do that, to lead off the game.

Nevertheless, regardless of what you think of Syndergaard and Utley, this umpire took it upon himself to drastically change the game by taking an extreme action that is basically unheard of under these particular circumstances. Wildly uncalled for. Ump Show indeed.

Choomp

Banned
Let me edit these jeez wtf

K yeah @prag pretty much agreed with all that, covered almost everything there, I just don't like when umpires try and take control of a game, imo the best officials aren't memorable at all and don't make their prescense felt any more than it has to be

Hey "Thor", this is what you need to do to Utley:

083015_chc_arrieta_final_out_lo_39z3az9w.gif

That business was already taken care of, actually. He also ended up striking out to Logan Verrett the at-bat Noah was ejected, even if Logan had no business being in that game

Top Bottom