• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

BumRush

Hey "Thor", this is what you need to do to Utley:

083015_chc_arrieta_final_out_lo_39z3az9w.gif

But... He did.

BumRush

Thought this was pretty well said on the Syndergaard ejection...

Maggie Wiggin - Metsblog.com said:
...there was an inexperienced umpire on the mound who was very aware of the history between the Mets and the Dodgers and he acted impulsively and unprofessionally, thus ensuring the tension between these teams will continue stronger than ever. It's simply wrong - and bad for the game - to change the application of the rules midstream, regardless of what's in the rulebook. Can you imagine if an umpire started calling the tiny rulebook strike zone mid game? And only for that one game? It would be a mess and the outcome of that game would be seriously questionable.
Now if MLB wants to have a zero-tolerance policy for near-misses going forward, that's their prerogative and ultimately, I think that's probably a good idea. But I had better see every single pitcher who throws a brushback pitch or throws behind a batter get tossed on the spot from this day forward. Otherwise, we'll know exactly what happened here: an inexperienced umpire was jumpy and overreacted, with the Mets (as always) taking the blow.

Blue Jays finally have a decent winning streak and a chance to sweep the Red Sox. Time to send useless ass Dickey to the mound to inevitably give up 6 runs. :(

Dickey hasn't been that bad lately. I am less confident about a win when he is on the mound though. The worst part is that Martin is out of the lineup thanks to the Knuckleball.

Yeah, it's not like Thor ever intentionally threw an unprovoked pitch at an opposing player on the game's largest stage. And certainly not after telling the whole baseball world he world so just that.

Sorry if I find this Mets Blog defense a bit biased and hollow. Fuck him. And Utley. They both come across like tools in this machismo bullshit. The ump screwed up by not warning both teams before the game, so he probably shouldn't have ejected him. But that's his discretion and I hate the idea of unwritten rules and purpose pitches. Send your message by striking his ass out, not tossing at a dude's head or behind him.

Maybe I'm the anti-Goose Gossage. Maybe I'm a Millennial. I don't know.

Thor looked great in his second place silver jersey in the opening series. Might have been wearing gold if his manager gave him the Bumgarner treatment and sent him out to the mound a couple more times. Maybe this is will be your year, big guy. You've got the talent. Now stop acting like a tough guy d-bag on the mound.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Seeing that first pitch by Thor always brings me joy.

Edit:

Noah Syndergaard ‏@Noahsyndergaard

I'm fresh. Can be available from pen. Just saying. #LGM

newjeruse

Thought this was pretty well said on the Syndergaard ejection...
The rule was applied correctly. The exact same rule was applied in the exact same way hours before in the Reds-Brewers game, but no one said a peep. Syndergaard iintentionally threw a 100 mph fastball at someone. The umpires have total discretion to eject someone if they think they're throwing at someone intentionally.

Too bad for the Mets that it backfired on them in the worst way possible. Now they come out of yesterday looking like petty losers while Utley looks like the baddest dude in the game.

I don't know if this is true, but it seems like this year in particular, the macho-man culture of baseball has really come to the forefront and it isn't pretty seeing the dinosaurs who still follow it (Whether it be players, managers, umps, hell even certain subsections of fans) defend what is ultimately a spiteful and petty act. Really soured me.

I don't know if this is true, but it seems like this year in particular, the macho-man culture of baseball has really come to the forefront and it isn't pretty seeing the dinosaurs who still follow it (Whether it be players, managers, umps, hell even certain subsections of fans) defend what is ultimately a spiteful and petty act. Really soured me.

I don't think it's just the "dinosaurs" who still follow macho-man culture in baseball

It's pretty much the entire sport. But that's true of just about every professional mens sport.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
What did Utley even do that got Thor all hot and bothered? Not mindful of how he handled the lumber after a hit?

Edit: nevermind, I forgot about that slide

Glad you can find a silver lining from a Series where your team was totally dominated.

"Hey, we did really awesome on that one play! Too bad about all the ones that mattered."

Why the hell are you still trying to lord the WS (which by the way I think it's hysterical to say we were dominated considering we had late leads in 3/4 games we lost) over people?

It's fucking June now. You don't get to talk smack about the WS anymore. I don't give a crap about it anymore. Because it's June.

You do just as much to perpetuate this crap as "salty Mets fans"

Choomp

Banned
Glad you can find a silver lining from a Series where your team was totally dominated.

"Hey, we did really awesome on that one play! Too bad about all the ones that mattered."

Dominated is an exaggeration. Pretty much all those games were won late, and thanks to stupid miscues. Let's not forget Thor made them look silly that game and Harvey did the same in game 5, and the adrenaline fueled call to keep him in the ninth was a mistake. More importantly, why do you feel the need to keep bringing up the World Series where it's not really relevant? No one cares anymore.

zulux21

5 batters in and this ump looks like crap at the plate.
a number of questionable balls or balls clearly out of the zone called strikes on the white sox while those same pitches even more in the zone are being called balls for sale :/

at least sale isn't firing it up there at 96-97.

I don't mind if an ump is calling a big zone but they have to call it the same for both sides.

zulux21

oh hey the ump finally screwed up a call for KC at the plate.

doesn't change the fact the guy's strike zone has been garbage so far.

gah.. when ever you strike out swinging you should be off to the races until the ump calls you out. drives me nuts that they don't at least force the throw as you never know what can happen if you do :/

edit: if the review doesn't come back as out it will be bullshit, he comes off the bag with the tag still on.

I think he was safe initially but he clearly comes off.

and with how bad this ump crew is doing it's a huge plus for the white sox that the royals have used up their challenge in the second.

especially since I think their lead off hitter last inning was safe.

we are crashing back to earth but it is to be expected. I thought we would be the worst team this season but I am glad to see the young guys out there playing well

Chris R

Mariners better win today. I only have one birthday a year.

Roof on yet again :( out in right field for today's action, sipping on a sour beer, tasty

Top Bottom