• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Line_HTX

Sad Klay is sad.

Clm8ZqPXIAAyf9P.jpg:large

zulux21

I simply refuse to believe that James Shields could get any worse.

something is up, something they will eventually figure out.
shields isn't an amazing pitcher, but he clearly had decent stuff until 4 starts ago and over the years has been a solid mid to late rotation guy.

you don't go from that to suddenly being the worst pitcher in the majors and maybe even AAA and AA.

Every pitcher goes through a streak of bad runs (in fact chris sale recently did as he had like a 6+ era over his previous few starts before he won last night) as well just completely overshadowed by shields being way worse.) but what is going on with shields is crazy. Usually by now you would get a report that he was hiding an injury, but there hasn't even been any hinting towards that.

Alternatively, perhaps the world revolves around me and it is my fault. I haven't actually watched him pitch in a white sox uniform at all. I plan to remedy this tomorrow. If he pitches well I will know it was my fault :p

gamz

That was the first time the Cards swept the Cubs in Wrigley since 1988.

Yeah, I heard that yesterday. I was surprised! Esp how bad the Cubs were before last year, but then again these teams always play hard against each other, no matter the records.

BFIB

Yeah, I heard that yesterday. I was surprised! Esp how bad the Cubs were before last year, but then again these teams always play hard against each other, no matter the records.

Your right about that. It seems like both teams take it up a notch. But in a mutual respect end.

Friggz

zulux21

if i was either of those teams, conversations would have to start with moncada, devers/benintendi, +. Dombrowski was given a good farm system and is going to empty it to get his own guys in. .

Also, why havent the yankees traded beltran and chapman yet.

because the return difference between trading them now and in a month isn't huge, and they likely still believe they can turn it around and win the division.

I mean they aren't going anywhere this year, but they are just 1 game below .500 and 6 games from first (and 4 from WC I believe) all it really takes is a streak of 8-2 or so in the next 10 to be seriously in contention again.

rando14

Wow Sampson injured too

That makes Felix, Taijuan, Miley, and Sampson all injured.

Like... what can we possibly do. We have zero starting pitching.

BFIB

Wow Sampson injured too

That makes Felix, Taijuan, Miley, and Sampson all injured.

Like... what can we possibly do. We have zero starting pitching.
Cards just swept the Cubs. Going by this season, you can throw out anyone because we're going to now lose 2 out of 3.

zulux21

I will take getting 2 runs after bases loaded no one out even if those two runs were from a double play and a passed ball.

now for wishing for a miracle shields holding the lead through the first inning.

hmmm shields doesn't look horrible today.

with that inning of not giving up a run shields drops his white sox era from 21.81 to 19.55.

if i was either of those teams, conversations would have to start with moncada, devers/benintendi, +. Dombrowski was given a good farm system and is going to empty it to get his own guys in. .

Also, why havent the yankees traded beltran and chapman yet.

Becsuse the front office still thinks this team can put together something (it can't)
Because of ownership's belief that they need stars to put on the field so that they can
Justify ticket prices. Remember rebuilding is for lesser teams, except in the 70s and 90s when they did and won multiple championships.

I mean they aren't going anywhere this year, but they are just 1 game below .500 and 6 games from first (and 4 from WC I believe) all it really takes is a streak of 8-2 or so in the next 10 to be seriously in contention again.

They're 3 1/2 back, which is closer than I thought they actually were.

zulux21

red sox continue to throw at and hit abreu likely in frustration about losing to the white sox.

that looked very deliberate :/

Hawk is being a horrible sports person right now though hoping the white sox take out someone from the red sox and that melky hits a ball off the pitchers knee cap :/

shields has gone through 3 without giving up a run.

his white sox era is now 16.2

Malo

Banned
Bill Shakin

#Dodgers player on Andrew Miller, to @McCulloughTimes: "We can't let the Giants or the Cubs get him" fw.to/QIC14HF

Urias will do just fine.

crpav

red sox continue to throw at and hit abreu likely in frustration about losing to the white sox.

that looked very deliberate :/

Hawk is being a horrible sports person right now though hoping the white sox take out someone from the red sox and that melky hits a ball off the pitchers knee cap :/

shields has gone through 3 without giving up a run.

his white sox era is now 16.2

Too nervous to watch the gamecast so liking your updates so far....except for Hawk. I like him at times due to his passion but sometimes man does he seem like a crazy drunken old man that is off his rocker.

zulux21

I give him 4 runs and 3 2/3 innings of work.

whether he gives up 4 runs here or not, we are at 3 2/3 and he definitely looks like he is starting to fall apart again. (only got this far thanks to a nice double play) after hitting the zone decently he can't hit it anymore and has walked 2 people now.

Too nervous to watch the gamecast so liking your updates so far....except for Hawk. I like him at times due to his passion but sometimes man does he seem like a crazy drunken old man that is off his rocker.

happy hawk is a fun hawk.
unhappy hawk is a monstrosity to the air.

if something bad ever happens steve stone should really just turn to hawk and go... GTFO you are just gonna bitch about stuff and say things people shouldn't say on air.. go take a walk for an inning or two :p

zulux21

we can't even score on Shields. This is some serious slump the lineup is going through.

there you finally scored.

edit: live I expected the challenge, watching the replay he should remain safe though, foot was in before the tag. it shouldn't take to long.

edit 2: not sure why you pull porcello here.
he isn't pitching amazingly, but he isn't pitching horribly either. you have had to use your bullpen decently this series and they keep being hit. it would make more sense to try to get another inning or two out of porcello.

zulux21

bases loaded no one out, fat albers on the mound responsable for the guy on first after hitting him. the other two were walked by shields.

lets see if the white sox can get out of this.

bringing in fat albers in this situation is exactly why robin should be fired.
guy can't handle high pressure situations at all. maybe we will get lucky and somehow he will not give up 3+ runs.

and there are 2 runs to shields.

slow ground ball and lawrie throws it away, to be fair the ump was in the way :/

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Here’s an indication of how far Jose Reyes has fallen. “We won’t give up a lot” in a Reyes deal, one Rockies- connected person said. In other words, to save some money, some semi-interested teams have asked the Rockies to sweeten the pot – that is, to send them something with Reyes.

With it looking like Reyes is headed to free agency, the chances for a return to the Mets have gone from nil to very good in seemingly no time. Reyes is looking much better to the Mets for two key reasons: 1) as their offense has continued to sputter, their need has grown, practically to the point of desperation, and 2) the reports of a trade market for Reyes appear, at least on the surface, way overblown or even bogus to this point, suggesting the Rockies may have little alternative but to release him, and the Mets never seemed to want to give anything up for him or pay more than the pro-rated minimum.

zulux21

shields final pitching line.

not great, but also not the worst outing for a 5th starter.

edit, and 3 runs have been given up runners on first and third still no one out as fat albers continues to suck....

fire robin for such a crap move that anyone could see coming :/

white sox would be at least 10 games over .500 right now with a good manger who knew how to handle a bullpen :/

zulux21

I will say...
god damn the red sox have a fast team.

plenty of balls that should be easy double plays where the red sox players just fly down the line and are safe.

Top Bottom