• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

He's worth a gamble. If you take his 2014 season away, his stats are very consistent. I think I take a chance on him.

I mean, having his stats be consistent in his 20s and early 30s doesn't guarantee anything beyond age 33. Albert Pujlos was consistent as fuck too at one point. Father Time doesn't give a shit about consistency. It just seems like more often than not, giving aging players big money is a bad idea.

Sanjuro

:jangocube :jangocube

I mean, having his stats be consistent in his 20s and early 30s doesn't guarantee anything beyond age 33. Albert Pujlos was consistent as fuck too at one point. Father Time doesn't give a shit about consistency. It just seems like more often than not, giving aging players big money is a bad idea.

This post reminded me I was wrong about Matt Kemp a few years ago.

That is all.

This post reminded me I was wrong about Matt Kemp a few years ago.

That is all.

What makes long term contracts like Votto's remotely or potentially valueable for teams is that you usually (ideally) get a really good value in the first part of the contract, when the players are still in their athletic primes, and it sort of offsets the latter half of the contract. I have no idea why a team would take on the latter years of a contract without the benefit/advantage of their prime years.

Then again, who would have thought he would have arthritic hips?

yeah it's not like he has a violent swing

like I could understand why Gary Sheffield had arthritic hips

I thought kemp was gonna have a resurgence after his last season with the Dodgers but they traded him at the perfect time

If your big-ass contracts get you a title or two, they were worth it, IMHO.

Nothing can guarantee titles, so if you signed players to deals that got you there, that's the best you can do.

Big contracts suck...but big contracts that don't yield titles are worse.

yeah it's not like he has a violent swing

like I could understand why Gary Sheffield had arthritic hips

I thought kemp was gonna have a resurgence after his last season with the Dodgers but they traded him at the perfect time

Then again I never watched much NL West ball so I didn't know, still, the comparisons with Sheffield are pretty good.

I hope the Navarro trade (which I'm glad happened) means that Thole will be demoted and Dickey will have to get used to a new catcher or maybe not be on the playoff roster. He's too unpredictable.

They should just use the same 3 guys every game. Better to have them dead for the playoffs. it's almost like he is just working with what he's given.
Have we clinched the playoffs already? Let me know if we have so we can start throwing games.

Bo is a AAA depth guy, garbage innings sure but just when we're getting close Gibby threw him in just so we can make up another two extra runs, could've used Feldman instead.

Have we clinched the playoffs already? Let me know if we have so we can start throwing games.

Bo is a AAA depth guy, garbage innings sure but just when we're getting close Gibby threw him in just so we can make up another two extra runs, could've used Feldman instead.

Sometimes you need to use not great RP to get through leverage situations so you don't spend your BP needlessly.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
New York Mets ‏@Mets

.@TJ_Rivera_ has been recalled from the @LasVegas51s. Justin Ruggiano has been placed on the 15-Day DL. #Mets

It seems like everyday this team has to make a move.

Sometimes you need to use not great RP to get through leverage situations so you don't spend your BP needlessly.

I know, I know.

You have to really cross your fingers when see Bo and Loup in there, Cecil too, especially for those lefty versus lefty situations.

I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole let's sit Martin for Thole thing, we tend to get into high leverage situations when Thole gets penciled in and is an automatic out and we can't get anything going and Thole doesn't really call a good game.

Chuck

Still without luck
Os season is fucking over. What a fucking shitshow. Maybe duquette will stop going after fucking shit garbage bum fucking pitchers for stupid money.

Os season is fucking over. What a fucking shitshow. Maybe duquette will stop going after fucking shit garbage bum fucking pitchers for stupid money.

You got some deep, deeeeeeeeeeeeep rooted organizational issues in regards to pitching development.

You got Tillman, Bundy who can't use his best pitch because his arm gave, and nothing.

rando14

You got some deep, deeeeeeeeeeeeep rooted organizational issues in regards to pitching development.

You got Tillman, Bundy who can't use his best pitch because his arm gave, and nothing.

Gausman showed some flashes this year, right?

(I havent followed O's pitching this year tbh)

Gausman showed some flashes this year, right?

(I havent followed O's pitching this year tbh)

Keyword being some.

Honestly, I don't think that O's team is very good barring Trumbo (Though I think this is just an unprecedented power surge and he'll level off next year) and Machado.

The only reason they are even still in this fight for the AL East is because of two factors:

1 - They got out to such an early lead

2 - The Jays and Red Sox don't know what the fuck they are doing, and as such, aren't seizing great opportunities to take the division by the throat

Trumbo could cool off next season but he has 30 HR+ power written all over him.

Yeah, he does. I just think that chances are, this sort of prodigious power surge he is having is not going to last forever.

And I wonder how much of this is due to him playing the majority of his games in very hitter friendly parks, then when he was playing in Angel Stadium or Safeco.

Top Bottom