• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mets win!
HxlpJrs.png

3N16MA

Banned
He was a Gold Glover when he was thin, as well as a good threat to steal bases. He was never a liability in the field even when he was at his heaviest.

I think its less that he is overrated and more that you seem to be underrating how good it is to be almost immune to striking out, much less hitting .350 all the time. Dude finished the 1994 strike season at .394. THREE NINETY FOUR.

.338/.388/.459/.370 wOBA, 132 wRC+, 65.0 fWAR, 135 HR, 543 2B, 85 3B, 319 SB

.291/.395/.475/.378 wOBA, 128 wRC+, 59.2 fWAR, 288 HR, 574 2B, 59 3B, 400 SB

The first line is Gwynn. Can you guess the 2nd without clicking the spoiler tag?
Bobby Abreu

Outside of the BA is there anything that really stands out for Gwynn? Like I said, he is very good and some of the things he did are very impressive. However his high BA and low K stats often get overvalued

Caja 117

.338/.388/.459/.370 wOBA, 132 wRC+, 65.0 fWAR, 135 HR, 543 2B, 85 3B, 319 SB

.291/.395/.475/.378 wOBA, 128 wRC+, 59.2 fWAR, 288 HR, 574 2B, 59 3B, 400 SB

The first line is Gwynn. Can you guess the 2nd without clicking the spoiler tag?
Bobby Abreu

Outside of the BA is there anything that really stands out for Gwynn? Like I said, he is very good and some of the things he did are very impressive. However his high BA and low K stats often get overvalued

Huh? I mean when you leave out that Tony Gwynn has more than 3,000 hits, belonging to an exclusive club, then yeah, even Bobby Abreu should be a legend. I guess hitting more than 3,000 hits is overrated.

The only thing you showed here is that Gwynn was not a power hitter.

BumRush

If I was starting on a Sunday, there's no way I'd be out until 4:00 AM on Friday, then golfing on Saturday. The fuck is the matter with athletes?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Tony Gwynn is "overrated" in the sense that he isn't Ted Williams. Which is nothing to be ashamed about. WIlliams did what Gynn did, but had power as well. Perhaps if Williams played in the same era as Gwynn he would have had to sacrifice some power to keep his average up or vice versa. /shrug.

Gwynn, is still a hall of famer, probably one of the best pure hitters of his generation. Just that his walk rate wasn't amazing because of his great contact skills and low power. Pitchers knew they could keep him in the ballpark and his speed dimished the second half of his career.

Anyway, great hitter, but low power numbers limit his All Timeness.

love this Maddux Quote about Gwynn:
You just can't do it," Maddux said. ”Sometimes hitters can pick up differences in spin. They can identify pitchers if there are different release points or if a curveball starts with an upward hump as it leaves the pitcher's hand. But if a pitcher can change speeds, every hitter is helpless, limited by human vision.
”Except for that (expletive) Tony Gwynn."

Caja 117

Tony Gwynn is "overrated" in the sense that he isn't Ted Williams. Which is nothing to be ashamed about. WIlliams did what Gynn did, but had power as well. Perhaps if Williams played in the same era as Gwynn he would have had to sacrifice some power to keep his average up or vice versa. /shrug.

Gwynn, is still a hall of famer, probably one of the best pure hitters of his generation. Just that his walk rate wasn't amazing because of his great contact skills and low power. Pitchers knew they could keep him in the ballpark and his speed dimished the second half of his career.

Anyway, great hitter, but low power numbers limit his All Timeness.

love this Maddux Quote about Gwynn:
I mean sure, If you go on to compare him to Ted William is different, but Gwynn in no way is an overrated player, what he is celebrated for is been one of the best if not the best contact hitter in modern baseball. He isnt celebrated for his power or his glove or his speed, is was his abbility to hit, and more so doing it in one team , a team that was irrelevant during most of his carreer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom