• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

OK, I have to ask this because maybe I must be blind, but generally speaking is there a higher defensive efficiency when you go to the shift? Because every time I see an Astros shift the hitter always soft hits it to the empty gap and I'm wondering what the hell the point of this is.

OK, I have to ask this because maybe I must be blind, but generally speaking is there a higher defensive efficiency when you go to the shift? Because every time I see an Astros shift the hitter always soft hits it to the empty gap and I'm wondering what the hell the point of this is.

yes, that's why they do it

Cubs need some rest I guess lol

giphy.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Players need to use the superman theme more for their walkup music. Especially pitchers.

It still makes me lol that the Red Sox traded Travis Shaw (and others) for Tyler Thornburg, who has not pitched in a Red Sox uniform yet and just had TOS

travis shaw was a whole bunch of nothing before this season, the only reason people knew his name was because he was on the red sox. he was never even on an organizational top 10 list, yet here we are, because baseball: it exists

travis shaw was a whole bunch of nothing before this season, the only reason people knew his name was because he was on the red sox. he was never even on an organizational top 10 list, yet here we are, because baseball: it exists

He had been worth a little more than 2 wins per 600 innings when he was with the Red Sox, which isn't great. But that's average production, which is a whole lot better than whatever it is the Red Sox are doing at 3B this season.

He had been worth a little more than 2 wins per 600 innings when he was with the Red Sox, which isn't great. But that's average production, which is a whole lot better than whatever it is the Red Sox are doing at 3B this season.

that sample size

this is a "baseball is weird and unpredictable" thing, not a "let's laugh at a bad front office" thing. there was hope for him to be maybe be an average starter or whatever, but little in the 6 years of his professional career gave reason to expect him to suddenly start playing at like a 6 win pace at age 27

zulux21

just remembering times it failed in general it is more successful.

that being said if hitters took the time to hit into the new hole it likely would be far less successful.

heck... jim thome, adam dunn, if they had trained to bunt towards the end of their careers they would have been .500 hitters until they stopped doing the shift on then, then they could have swung away like normal and gotten more hits from not hitting into the shift.

really they don't even have to be that successful with the bunts. even if you succeed 3 out of 10 times that is still pretty good in baseball, and after a few successful bunts they would have to weaken the shift to cover for the bunts or stop the shift all together.

but instead we get excuses like they are paid to hit home runs not get on base, or that it will screw up their swing. personally I would take a guy with a .600 on base percent over someone who will hit 40 home runs with a .300 on base percent any day :p

that sample size

this is a "baseball is weird and unpredictable" thing, not a "let's laugh at a bad front office" thing. there was hope for him to be maybe be an average starter or whatever, but little in the 6 years of his professional career gave reason to expect him to suddenly start playing at like a 6 win pace at age 27

~800 PA isn't *that* small of a sample size.

He also didn't need to be a 6win player to be an upgrade over the Red Sox's combined -0.4 WAR they have gotten from 3B this season. He could just be a 2 win player and that would be a pretty substantial upgrade. Certainly more than Tyler Thornburg was expected to provide if he hadn't had TOS

~800 PA isn't *that* small of a sample size.

He also didn't need to be a 6win player to be an upgrade over the Red Sox's combined -0.4 WAR they have gotten from 3B this season. He could just be a 2 win player and that would be a pretty substantial upgrade. Certainly more than Tyler Thornburg was expected to provide if he hadn't had TOS

you constantly move the goal posts for the dumbest reasons. do you do this outside of baseball discussion. you went from laughing at the red sox to "well they coulda thought that maybe he'd be an average player or w/e" so quickly

you constantly move the goal posts for the dumbest reasons. do you do this outside of baseball discussion. you went from laughing at the red sox to "well they coulda thought that maybe he'd be an average player or w/e" so quickly

I mean, it's funny that a team traded an average 3B and prospects for a reliever who immediately had TOS? Especially when said team has had the worst 3B production in the majors? Like, that's objectively a pretty bad trade.

I never once said that Shaw was going to be a star or that the Red Sox should have predicted it :lol

I mean, it's funny that a team traded an average 3B and prospects for a reliever who immediately had TOS? Especially when said team has had the worst 3B production in the majors? Like, that's objectively a pretty bad trade.

I never once said that Shaw was going to be a star or that the Red Sox should have predicted it :lol

i just thought you were trashing the trade as it happened instead of how it's turned out so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom