• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos

Freeman is something special, can't wait to see his stats in 2018 after a hopefully healthy year.

edit: Jim Johnson is someone I have no interest seeing in 2018

Astros are pretty good. Don't fuck with Correa!
wV4uZHe.gif

Springer is a beast!
agP3hSp.gif

no matter who goes out there they just fucking act like they've never pitched at the major league level. it's comical at this point.

Mariano Rivera really was something special, nothing like him will ever come around ever again. sure lots of guys throw harder, are bigger,have more pitches in their arsenal. but there was no one out there who kept his cool like he did.

zulux21

Mariano Rivera really was something special, nothing like him will ever come around ever again. sure lots of guys throw harder, are bigger,have more pitches in their arsenal. but there was no one out there who kept his cool like he did.

eh... special sure.
nothing like him come around ever... that one I don't buy.

he was special, but more of a once every 20 years special not never see again special.

there is plenty of good talent being moved to the closer role anymore, and while doing it for as long as he did will likely take a while, there will be plenty of people who does it as well as he did over many seasons.

as far as I can tell they are kind of the yankees of the NL.

a team with plenty of up and coming talent but that wasn't expected to compete this year.

they do have a good system, but that's not really why they're better than expected. their offense is awesome mostly because of the crazy production they've ended up getting from shaw, thames, and now aguilar. i don't know if it's lightning in a bottle or legit, but they've gotten insane value by adding them.

it will be interesting to see what they do at the deadline. if they make a splash in the rotation they could become very good, assuming those offensive guys mentioned don't regress.

zulux21

they do have a good system, but that's not really why they're better than expected. their offense is awesome mostly because of the crazy production they've ended up getting from shaw, thames, and now aguilar. i don't know if it's lightning in a bottle or legit, but they've gotten insane value by adding them.

it will be interesting to see what they do at the deadline. if they make a splash in the rotation they could become very good, assuming those offensive guys mentioned don't regress.

they have popped up in talks with the white sox at the very least. Quintana's overall numbers aren't amazing this season, but he has been great for the last month and more like you would expect him to be.

I don't think the white sox have any hitters of interest for the brewers depending on how their bench/back up third baseman is maybe they would have interest in todd fraiser, but unlikely.

if they trade with the white sox it will likely be for quintana or one of their relievers that haven't fallen off the rails (though most of the pitching seems to have gone off the rails the last month)

they have popped up in talks with the white sox at the very least. Quintana's overall numbers aren't amazing this season, but he has been great for the last month and more like you would expect him to be.

I don't think the white sox have any hitters of interest for the brewers depending on how their bench/back up third baseman is maybe they would have interest in todd fraiser, but unlikely.

if they trade with the white sox it will likely be for quintana or one of their relievers that haven't fallen off the rails (though most of the pitching seems to have gone off the rails the last month)

man it annoys me that they supposedly won't trade with the cubs, and now the brewers might get him

Also Orlando Arcia playing GG caliber defense and now sporting a workable wRC+ right around 100, Keon Broxton magically learning to hit, and some unexpectedly great play by their 1-3 SP and back end of that pen. Chase Anderson becoming a TOR pitcher. And with guys like Villar falling apart this additional value is worth even more.

Couple that with a good farm system and I think they're set to be pretty good for another few years. Hader will be in the rotation before long, as will Woodruff when he's healthy. A rotation of Nelson-Anderson-Hader-Woodruff-X where X is a not that bad for a 5th guy Zach Davies and you're not in bad shape.

That said, they should absolutely be standing pat right now, maybe trade a little of their OF depth for middle relief help, but don't sell out for Quintana or anything like that, because their run diff definitely suggest that they aren't there quite yet. And everything I've ever heard about Stearns leads me to believe he won't do anything stupid.

But next year with Brinson and Ortiz and their other guys coming up or getting close.

I'd be excited for their future were I a fan.

zulux21

man it annoys me that they supposedly won't trade with the cubs, and now the brewers might get him

the white sox and cubs have traded before.

in the before season trade rumors though the cubs package was well below what other teams were offering though, so perhaps they don't want to deal with them because the cub's offer/value wasn't anywhere near what they wanted and they know they can do better elsewhere.

eh... special sure.
nothing like him come around ever... that one I don't buy.

he was special, but more of a once every 20 years special not never see again special.

there is plenty of good talent being moved to the closer role anymore, and while doing it for as long as he did will likely take a while, there will be plenty of people who does it as well as he did over many seasons.

even the best relievers were the best only for a few seasons. Mo did that for nearly 20 years.

zulux21

even the best relievers were the best only for a few seasons. Mo did that for nearly 20 years.

which is why it would be a once in 20 years or so talent especially with more talented pictures ending up in that role since it is getting paid well and respected.

if we just wanted dominating relievers that keep their cool there are plenty of those in the majors at any given time anymore.

those who can do it for a long time are decently rare, but not at the never going to see it again level.

Also Orlando Arcia playing GG caliber defense and now sporting a workable wRC+ right around 100, Keon Broxton magically learning to hit, and some unexpectedly great play by their 1-3 SP and back end of that pen. Chase Anderson becoming a TOR pitcher. And with guys like Villar falling apart this additional value is worth even more.

Couple that with a good farm system and I think they're set to be pretty good for another few years. Hader will be in the rotation before long, as will Woodruff when he's healthy. A rotation of Nelson-Anderson-Hader-Woodruff-X where X is a not that bad for a 5th guy Zach Davies and you're not in bad shape.

That said, they should absolutely be standing pat right now, maybe trade a little of their OF depth for middle relief help, but don't sell out for Quintana or anything like that, because their run diff definitely suggest that they aren't there quite yet. And everything I've ever heard about Stearns leads me to believe he won't do anything stupid.

But next year with Brinson and Ortiz and their other guys coming up or getting close.

I'd be excited for their future were I a fan.

of course they should be excited. they have a pretty good team and a good system. i'm just saying that a lot of their biggest contributors this season have a high risk of being lightning in a bottle.

also, i see no reason for them not to go after someone like quintana. with a payroll like theirs, you can't waste opportunities when they present themselves. they might be the favorite for the division right now, and the rotation is the biggest potential issue. i'm not saying sell out for rentals, but a quintana type would be perfect for them. nelson looks like he might be a legit TOR pitcher, but him and chase anderson (who is hurt and less likely to be a legit TOR guy) are both approaching 30. and you just can't count on guys like hader. penciling in future rotations with young pitchers is not a good idea. they have a clear need for starting pitching, and quintana will give them some cheapish control while likely not demanding the price of guys like archer/stroman/gray

the white sox and cubs have traded before.

in the before season trade rumors though the cubs package was well below what other teams were offering though, so perhaps they don't want to deal with them because the cub's offer/value wasn't anywhere near what they wanted and they know they can do better elsewhere.

there has been tons of talk over the last year or so that the white sox flat out won't trade quintana to the cubs, despite q being a perfect fit for their needs, and the cubs ability to put together a good package for him. ultimately it's still rumor, but i've seen enough reputable people claim it over the last year for me to believe it to be true.

Eh Quintana would cost them Brinson more than likely. And I wouldn't give him away for dick. I'm still shocked they got him from the Rangers.

I target Justin Vargas if anybody. Won't cost much other than back end-top 5ish guys and will give you enough cushion to make a run this year.

I don't move Hader/Brinson plus. That's their future.

Eh Quintana would cost them Brinson more than likely. And I wouldn't give him away for dick. I'm still shocked they got him from the Rangers.

I target Justin Vargas if anybody. Won't cost much other than back end-top 5ish guys and will give you enough cushion to make a run this year.

I don't move Hader/Brinson plus. That's their future.

The Royals, currently, are going for a run and having Karns, most likely, out for the season means they're probably keeping Vargas. Unless the Royals collapse the rest of the way to the deadline, I doubt they sell, but, as a Royals fan, I don't think we have much hope besides being a Wild Card at best. The Royals have too many flaws for me to feel they could make it or make it far. If they're buyers, it'll be mostly staying put like 2014 and acquire cheap players from waivers and such since the farm system isn't that good.

@hudsonbelinsky
Following
More
Source: Unsigned #Orioles pick Jack Conlon will become unrestricted free agent. My understanding is that he can sign w/ the highest bidder.

Every rebuilding team needs to be throwing money at this kid right now.

Caja 117

Tyler Clippard: 1.2 IP /1 H /3 BB / 4 ER

What a line.

He's my favorite player in baseball right now.

I read an interesting information, it seems this Year the Yankees are the team with the least amount of Pitching changes. I mean, there is a point that Girardi needs to sit down and think "Hey this guy already done enough damage in the inning before", why Have him face a guy that is crushing the ball with a Pitcher that has already trow more than 30 pitches and with the bases loaded to top that? I dont think anyone was surprised he gave up that Grand Slam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom