• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the braves would probably have a better record playing the dodgers all the time than the phillies.

Velcro Fly

Got to love the "well the rain is coming so I'm ringing you up on a pitch a foot outside to just end the game" strike call there at the end. Fire all major league umpires imo

Sanjuro

The Dodgers are now 20-3 in their last 23. All 3 losses came from the Braves.

C3YpqXY.gif

Man I get so anxious whenever Wheeler, Salas or Robles are pitching. Why are they still on this Team!?

I hope they consider moving Wheeler to the bullpen next year.

That said, I'm very concerned with what I've heard from Alderson that the Mets are going to once again rely on a lot of the same guys being healthier and/or better performers in 2018.

I think this team needs some significant turnover and some outside of the box thinking.

Tonight was the first game all year that the Dodgers lost where they had a lead at some point in the game.

It's August 2. That's fucking insane.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Well I've been to 4 Dodger games this season and seen 3 wins, but 4 Bellinger homers.

Pretty excited to see Alex Wood go tomorrow, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle Farmer catch since they were batterymates at UGA together (I am also sad that we won't get Vin Scully stories about this pairing)

Well I've been to 4 Dodger games this season and seen 3 wins, but 4 Bellinger homers.

Pretty excited to see Alex Wood go tomorrow, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle Farmer catch since they were batterymates at UGA together.
Orel talked about that the other day. He's hoping too they would start.

zulux21

Feels bad when you lose to the As

yeah... you should beat them so that the white sox can get in front of you for draft pick order.

as of right now the giants are tied for the first pick (meaning with tie breakers that the phillies would have the first pick but still)

Gotta keep losing and get a nice lead on worst team now as the white sox are likely to improve in sept when they actually call up some of that young talent they have.

I want to see what it is like having a first pick :p

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Interesting read about what happened with the Astros at the deadline.

Some tidbits.

Astros were making a push for Liriano, Britton and another reliever.

O's were concerned about the health of two players coming back from the Astros (lol) and then nixed the trade. (They also told the Dodgers they wouldn't be trading him)

Astros also pushed a package for Darvish but Rangers ownership felt it was "non-competitive", though they thought it was stronger than what the Dodgers offered.

My small take: People complaining that they didn't do anything are wrong, they tried and it didn't work out. That's how the baseball rolls sometimes.

You also can't just blow up the farm and then expect a guaranteed World Series, and especially for a guy who is a rental. Back when the Astros traded for Randy Johnson is proof of this. (fucking Padres)

Liriano had some excellent stretches of play for the Jays. It does seems like the grind of being an SP is too much for him. Out of the bullpen he'll do fine.

Concerning the Dodgers and their streak and whatnot...

Let this sink in for a moment...

According to Baseball-Reference when the 2017 Los Angeles Dodgers (75-32 .701 WPCT) have had a lead at any point in the 107 games thus far they have only relinquished said lead 8 times.

8 times.

Just for a bit of reference...

The 2017 Houston Astros (second best record in baseball currently at 69-38 .645 WPCT) have blown 22 leads.

The 2001 Seattle Mariners (116-46 .716 WPCT) blew 18 leads.

The 1998 New York Yankees (114-48 .704 WPCT) blew 28 leads.

The 1986 New York Mets (108-54 .667 WPCT) blew 24 leads.

...which says quite a bit about the 2017 Dodgers given that we are 2/3 of the way through the season.

Caja 117

^ As much as I like the Dodgers, I cant help but to think that those outliers could mean a problem if the law of averages catch up with them, if it does it could fall under the wrong time of the year as in during the playoff.

For perspective, Yankees this year lasted up until after the All star break to get shutout for the first time, they got shutout again yesterday, so Is the second shutout in just 4 weeks, vs no shutout in a 3 month span.

^ As much as I like the Dodgers, I cant help but to think that those outliers could mean a problem if the law of averages caught up with them, if it does it could fall under the wrong time of the year as in during the playoff.

For perspective, Yankees this year lasted up until after the All star break to get shutout for the first time, they got shutout again yesterday, so Is the second shutout in just 4 weeks, vs no shutout in a 3 month span.

You hear it more and more each year, "the postseason is a crapshoot, blah, blah, blah" which I simply don't buy into that particular thinking. I think in most years the team best built for both the grueling 162 game season and for short series play comes out on top. You have to be built for both (one way to get there and the other way to finish the deal).

Records in MLB mean little as the regular season is nothing more than the longest qualifying round in sports. There are simply too many variables to consider such as scheduling (not balanced in this case), what division you are in, when you play teams, roster makeup/injuries, etc to decide alone who is the best team whether a team wins 86 games or 100 games.

Just qualify and then prove your worth as the true best team in baseball in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom