• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if the 53 game streak was accurate or not (I would imagine it is) but you do realize the Dodgers have won more than 53 games since the start of May thus making April irrelevant, right?

Concerning the Dodgers and their streak and whatnot...

Let this sink in for a moment...

According to Baseball-Reference when the 2017 Los Angeles Dodgers (75-32 .701 WPCT) have had a lead at any point in the 107 games thus far they have only relinquished said lead 8 times.

8 times.

Just for a bit of reference...

The 2017 Houston Astros (second best record in baseball currently at 69-38 .645 WPCT) have blown 22 leads.

The 2001 Seattle Mariners (116-46 .716 WPCT) blew 18 leads.

The 1998 New York Yankees (114-48 .704 WPCT) blew 28 leads.

The 1986 New York Mets (108-54 .667 WPCT) blew 24 leads.

...which says quite a bit about the 2017 Dodgers given that we are 2/3 of the way through the season.

okay? nobody is disputing that the dodgers have had an incredible season. i was just pointing out that those particular anecdotes were obviously wrong and missing something

You hear it more and more each year, "the postseason is a crapshoot, blah, blah, blah" which I simply don't buy into that particular thinking. I think in most years the team best built for both the grueling 162 game season and for short series play comes out on top. You have to be built for both (one way to get there and the other way to finish the deal).

i mean, there is years of data that disputes this. there are specific things that can marginally increase your chances of winning a 7 game series against other good teams, but ultimately, you're at the mercy of variance and sequencing in a 7 game sample size. assuming health, the dodgers will clearly have the best chance of winning the world series over any other team, but the advantage won't reflect the dominance they've had in the regular season.

baseball skills are just weird and can't be done on demand with great consistency

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Orioles_triple_play_med.gif

My new favorite website

http://m.mlb.com/gif-download-video-embed-hub

You can type in a player's name, team, event, emotion, etc. and you'll see relevant content returned to you, organized by content type.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/c...ium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=baseball

080217_gif_gordon_celebration_med.gif

052317_phicol_phanatic_popcorn_med_w638k6ej.gif

080416_min_mascot_med_dusr3ujy.gif

Good to get that win since Indians and Rays won, just so the Royals can keep in the standings and WC race. Lot of baseball left so anything can still happen though...

MC Safety

David Wright should be the one.

David Wright still entertains notions of playing. Which will probably prevent the Mess from investing in a full-time third baseman next year.

The New York Post also reports Sandy Alderson is likely to return next year, so the team will continue its malaise.

David Wright still entertains notions of playing. Which will probably prevent the Mess from investing in a full-time third baseman next year.

The New York Post also reports Sandy Alderson is likely to return next year, so the team will continue its malaise.

Somebody stop him already. It's so sad to see David try to make a comeback when he has the rest of his life to think about.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I don't think he even thinks hes going to play again. He's not going to retire though because thats a lot of money still left on the table. He's a sunk cost and should be treated as such.

There is absolutely no reason Sandy should be back next season.

I don't think he even thinks hes going to play again. He's not going to retire though because thats a lot of money still left on the table. He's a sunk cost and should be treated as such.

There is absolutely no reason Sandy should be back next season.
If he retires or not he gets his money.

David absolutely still wants to play.

BumRush

If he retires or not he gets his money.

David absolutely still wants to play.

Is that in his contract? I believe the rules are really weird with retirement and contract fulfillment (e.g. dependent on injury, diminished skill, CBA, etc.) but if its somewhat voluntary that he hangs it up, the area is super grey.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anthony DiComo‏ @AnthonyDiComo

Sandy Alderson says again that Dom Smith will be here before Sept. 1. Once he arrives, he will be the everyday starter at first base. #Mets

Matt Harvey pitched off the slope of a mound this week, and will throw his first bullpen session Sunday. Syndergaard a couple weeks behind.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Darvish vs deGrom. Plus Rosario's first home game. Should be a fun game.

Edit -

Ken Rosenthal‏ @Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #Mets' Jay Bruce has cleared waivers. Eligible to be traded to any team. Owed about $4M rest of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom