• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caja 117

You hear it more and more each year, "the postseason is a crapshoot, blah, blah, blah" which I simply don't buy into that particular thinking. I think in most years the team best built for both the grueling 162 game season and for short series play comes out on top. You have to be built for both (one way to get there and the other way to finish the deal).

Records in MLB mean little as the regular season is nothing more than the longest qualifying round in sports. There are simply too many variables to consider such as scheduling (not balanced in this case), what division you are in, when you play teams, roster makeup/injuries, etc to decide alone who is the best team whether a team wins 86 games or 100 games.

Just qualify and then prove your worth as the best team in baseball in October.

I don't think is a crapshot outside of the one game WC playoff game (and some series trough playoff history), but you have to consider that Dodgers numbers are outliers and the game itself tend to get normalized when you have numbers like this. I would have more confidence in a team that have gone trough bad streaks, even if its a small one.

I don't think is a crapshot outside of the one game WC playoff game (and some series trough playoff history), but you have to consider that Dodgers numbers are outliers and the game itself tend to get normalized when you have numbers like this. I would have more confidence in a team that have gone trough bad streaks, even if its a small one.

It's a crapshoot in that the things that make you the better team over the course of a long season don't neccesarily carry over or show through in a small 7 game sample size.

I'm not speaking of any team in particular but rather there is too much emphasis placed on which team(s) have the best record going into the postseason and how that isn't a great measurement given all the variables throughout a 162 game season yet we rarely ever see the team with he best record win the title thus a lot of folks clamoring about crapshoot this and crapshoot that.

Concerning the Dodgers, they are obviously definitely built for the regular season, only time will tell if they are truly the "best" team in baseball and built for it's second season as well, the postseason.

Malo

Banned
BA released their updates farm rankings:

1. Braves
2. White Sox
3. Phillies

7. Yankees

Still in the top ten and 7 overall after the trades is impressive.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
kI0Xr64.gif

Caja 117

BA released their updates farm rankings:

1. Braves
2. White Sox
3. Phillies

7. Yankees

Still in the top ten and 7 overall after the trades is impressive.

That is awesome to hear! Hopefully Gray works out in NY to have lock down another solid starter for next season.

Tonight is JBJ bobblehead night. ��
Speaking of Fenway, I might have committed what some could consider a crime, I had 2 RF box tickets for last Monday game that I bought at the beginning of the season, and for some reason I tought the game was today...it hurts man..

Caja 117

Fans should worry since Gray is going from pitcher's park to hitter's park.
Ohhh I am worried; hoping for the best, bracing for the worst.

Checking this season numbers, he is 1-3 with a 1.3 whip pitching on the road. ( altough his best 2 seasons he was better playing on the road)

clav

Ohhh I am worried; hoping for the best, bracing for the worst.

Checking this season numbers, he is 1-3 with a 1.3 whip pitching on the road. ( altough his best 2 seasons he was better playing on the road)
Pitchers are difficult to predict in baseball compared to batters.

Sure there are things you can look like ball park, strike-out/walk rate, first-pitch strikes, number of pitches in repertoire, and soft + hard contact % along with win/loss rates, but every time a pitcher is on a mound, difficult to predict how game will play out.

Malo

Banned
Fans should worry since Gray is going from pitcher's park to hitter's park.
He has a 56.7 % ground ball rate and 23.5 % K rate this season. He's also going from the worst defensive team in MLB, to an average one. I'm more worried about the injury risk than performance.

Gray is making some nice pitches. The Indians are just laying off. His breaking stuff is down. Sucks that he has to run against Kluber. But the Yankees have to execute with runners in scoring position. A leadoff double should generate a run.

I think what will help the Dodgers too is they're in the strongest division in baseball. The top 3 NL West teams are almost assuredly all getting into the playoffs. The Dodgers aren't cruising through a weak division

April was their bad streak.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I have never seen the kind of disrespect the Rays just showed Derek Fisher. Sent a runner who wasn't even actually at 3rd base yet home while the ball was in Fisher's glove and he made one of the most pathetic throws I've seen in a while. Guess they knew what was up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom