• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Booo.

Joe Musgrove is shit.

>:T
LHnDXJj.gif

Alex Speier‏
@alexspeier

Following
More
Red Sox 4/7 at DET: Holt DH, Pedroia 2B, Benintendi LF, Moreland 1B, Young RF, Bradley Jr. CF, Leon C, Sandoval 3B, Hernandez SS, Wright RHP

Teen Heartthrob Brock Holt as DH?

Fuck it why not

Choomp

Banned
Alex Speier‏
@alexspeier

Following
More
Red Sox 4/7 at DET: Holt DH, Pedroia 2B, Benintendi LF, Moreland 1B, Young RF, Bradley Jr. CF, Leon C, Sandoval 3B, Hernandez SS, Wright RHP

Teen Heartthrob Brock Holt as DH?

Fuck it why not

Where Hanley? Killing my fantasy team

I don't see an issue with K/1, to be honest (any more so than K/9). Anything over 1 K/1 would be considered good. Unless I'm missing something?

The argument for K/1 would be that relievers only usually go 1 inning

This a true, but starting pitchers don't usually go 9 innings so is K/9 not good for them either? The point of K/9 is to normalize performance. (Although as I said, I like K% better in a lot of cases)

BigAT

Do I need to point out the obvious that K/1, K/9, K/1,000,000,000 is effectively the same metric and it's just a ratio presented in a slightly different manner?

BumRush

Do I need to point out the obvious that K/1, K/9, K/1,000,000,000 is effectively the same metric and it's just a ratio presented in a slightly different manner?

Right. Because of that, I'd argue that K/1 or K% are much more meaningful stats than K/9

How is having a 1.00 K/1 more meaningful than having a 9.00 K/9?

It's not of course, they're all the same. In terms of "wanting to know how many Ks a pitcher collects in a game on average", a K/9 looks better at a glance. Many many pitchers have less than 1 K per inning, so K/1 would look a little weird or unintuitive a lot of the time. And K% is one of those stats where it's impossible to immediately tell whether it's good or bad without looking up the average.

All semantics though, really.

The sheer dislike of RA Dickey in the Jays' punditry is quite something.

ahaha - And now they're relishing Cecil struggling yesterday.

(Sportsnet, btw)

The sheer dislike of RA Dickey in the Jays' punditry is quite something.
Pure innings eater, you have to get him his own catcher who most likely can't hit, even when he has a good day you can't be 100% sure, he's not reliable for big games/post season play and won't get you enough wins to justify the sacrifices.

Plus remember we gave up Syndergard for him, it still stings, worst trade by AA.

Beckx

Seeing this too. I sort of agree with the first part (something like K% is better) but the k/1 or k/2 thing is ridiculous

yeah. In typical HR style the comment is boneheaded, but it does raise a question of whether there's a better rate stat to present to viewers than K/innings.

Chris R

Made a mistake buying some tickets early for the ranger game I'll be at later this month :( Could be sitting much, much closer for half the money lol

It's not of course, they're all the same. In terms of "wanting to know how many Ks a pitcher collects in a game on average", a K/9 looks better at a glance. Many many pitchers have less than 1 K per inning, so K/1 would look a little weird or unintuitive a lot of the time. And K% is one of those stats where it's impossible to immediately tell whether it's good or bad without looking up the average.

All semantics though, really.

K% would tell a better story than K/9 (or any number)

Ex: reliever comes in, gives up two hits, walks one, strikes out three.

That's a 27 K/9 but a 50% K rate

Everyone is just used to K/9 at this point though

Beckx

Okay hopefully the Bucs top 4 can turn around these woeful stats.

also thank god Mercer isn't lead off

Mike Consonants throws a lot of fastballs (14 of 18 pitches thrown that inning)

Malo

Banned
Bob Nightingale

Shohei Ohtani, the Babe Ruth of Japan, told 60 Minutes he will sign with #MLB team after season, which could cost him $200M by not waiting.

How quickly does the team that sign Otani sign him to a massive extension?

Beckx

I hope Cervelli hits a fastball into the river

I don't even know if any Bucco has hit the river since Pedro Alvarez left. Or if you can even reach the river from that side heh.

Anyway, rats. But I'll take our first lead of the season.

Beckx

Nova please don't explode

as of today:

.423 BA
.484 OBP
.846 SLG
1.330 OPS

(only 31 AB of course but it's funny that a pitcher is leading the league in hits)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Bob Nightingale

Shohei Ohtani, the Babe Ruth of Japan, told 60 Minutes he will sign with #MLB team after season, which could cost him $200M by not waiting.

Astros need to spend some money.

iEMvpQWpbPCko.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom