• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Tigers broadcast of this game on MLBN and its crazy how much people now talk about hitting pretty much using the exact language that Josh Donaldson used in that one interview he did last year. You know the one

I've heard a lot of "a lot of guys these days don't even think about swinging with their hands. Back in my day we were taught to hit on top of the ball but now these guys are using their shoulders to create that lag angle with their bat and get the ball elevated" this week

Beckx

whew

I mean I wasn't even worried

Watching the Tigers broadcast of this game on MLBN and its crazy how much people now talk about hitting pretty much using the exact language that Josh Donaldson used in that one interview he did last year. You know the one

I've heard a lot of "a lot of guys these days don't even think about swinging with their hands. Back in my day we were taught to hit on top of the ball but now these guys are using their shoulders to create that lag angle with their bat and get the ball elevated" this week

I think we're going to see 2 articles appear multiple times this year: "why teams need to stop shifting" and "the fly ball revolution"

not that any of those are particularly wrong or right, just that it seems to be the new trend

Pure innings eater, you have to get him his own catcher who most likely can't hit, even when he has a good day you can't be 100% sure, he's not reliable for big games/post season play and won't get you enough wins to justify the sacrifices.

Plus remember we gave up Syndergard for him, it still stings, worst trade by AA.

Oh, of course. I just enjoyed the absolute delight in their voices as they talked about having Liriano instead. And the joy in recounting Cecil's implosion.

Beckx

well Sports Illustrated figured out a worse way to talk about Ohtani

@SInow

This Japanese guy throws 102 MPH and hits homers... and he's about to take the MLB​ by storm

John Jaso the only Bucco not to raise his batting average today

Beckx

q2JStIo.jpg

Kevin Thomas‏
@ClearTheBases

#RedSox prospect Rafael Devers first at-bat. Homers to RF. Estimated at 401 feet. 7-pitch at-bat

The White Sox's next great prospect!

Bob Nightingale

Shohei Ohtani, the Babe Ruth of Japan, told 60 Minutes he will sign with #MLB team after season, which could cost him $200M by not waiting.

How quickly does the team that sign Otani sign him to a massive extension?
What's going to happen is he'll have that extension in place the moment he signs as a hush hush deal.

So really anybody can sign him at this point.

I think we're going to see 2 articles appear multiple times this year: "why teams need to stop shifting" and "the fly ball revolution"

not that any of those are particularly wrong or right, just that it seems to be the new trend

The Effectively Wild podcast covered this last week. It's more of a chicken-and-egg thing, where shifts are making life more difficult for ground ball teams, and the way to beat that is to hit over them. Daniel Murphy is the big example. Stats seem to indicate an increase in home runs as a result.

Admittedly, I have half the podcast left to listen to for their conclusion, but lifting the ball seems to be gaining traction among hitters. More of an uppercut style swing.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
They are so sad this year. I think I'll be an absentee fan this year, just occasionally checking in on some of the games because it's so painfully obvious there's nothing there.

I mean it's only been 4 games. But still, yes. If Freeman, Swanson, and Ender get going soon it'll look better. And if Rio and Albies are up by June then at least you can watch young guys instead of vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom