• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2k7: Money Talks and Bullshit Walks

Dez

DMczaf said:
Is anyone else using both Breakpoint and Swing Stick? I know FMT and Matrix do. FMT and Matrix are on the good list!

I do too. I've never tried classic swing or pinpoint pitching. Does it make that much of a difference?

DMczaf

It just makes it easier to pitch and hit.

I know in all of my random games i play, everyone switches to classic and pinpoint.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I tried using the classic against Konex one game lastnight to see if I could stay in the game cause I dont have any pitchers other than Roy O and needed to try to get some runs and be cheap!.lol I hit 2 hrs with shitty Jason Lane by just holding up and A.Konex was smart and kept walking Carlos Lee :( I think I got one at bat with him.

Still couldnt beat the Stankees cause cause my pitching and team sucks,but oh to have Konex's lineup .....

would be boring.

I had to go back to swingstick cause classic is shit and pinpoint ive never tried,boring.

JuanMR2

Dez said:
GGs Juan.. I liked that you didn't take that sac fly in game 1, after that weird triple :D. You were the first to hit Halladay. But then again you were sitting on fastballs all game.

Yeah gg's....I just can't hit the curve :(

DMczaf said:
Is anyone else using both Breakpoint and Swing Stick? I know FMT and Matrix do. FMT and Matrix are on the good list!

I use Breakpoint and Classic Swing.

DMczaf said:

I use both breakpoint and swing stick... So that makes at least 5 of us!

everytime i've played someone who uses classic swing i just get ****ing teed off on. konex said it was "the wind" when i played him cause he scored 11 runs and 9 runs on back to back games, but then i played juanmr and got destroyed too. oh well :(

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
everytime i've played someone who uses classic swing i just get ****ing teed off on. konex said it was "the wind" when i played him cause he scored 11 runs and 9 runs on back to back games, but then i played juanmr and got destroyed too. oh well :(

Dont listen to Konex,its the damn Yankees with the A button,though the wind doesnt help at all :lol The only way you can even come close to beating them is having a pitcher like Oswalt or a offense that can match him run for run.

I cant beat Konex with any of my other starters when I throw 90% strikes,Yankees just tee off on them using classic hitting.

So anyone want to play?

Matrix

K.

joy you get to face my 4th starter :lol :(

Matrix

Yea my bad.

Looks like DCX logged in anyway,good luck.

Dez

GGs DCX. I was afraid of having to use BJ Ryan in the 9th - I think all pitchers without curveballs are useless in this game :lol. Luckily I padded the lead so I didn't have to use him in the last game.

Matrix

I agree,if you dont have a pitcher whu can throw a decent curveball you will have a difficult time winning.

Thats why I'm able to dominate so much with Roy.

Cloudy

Banned
I don't get you guys who use the pitcher's best pitch all game though. That's pretty lame :lol

PS: DCX, since it's a flex sked, I can't just sim our game that didn't record,. We'll have to start a game later and then one of us can quit. After that, I can edit the score...

Matrix

I only do that when I face your lineup.

Why dont you use the swing stick? or break point pitching?

Why use the Yankees and then make it even easier to play the game?

these leagues are a joke,your team has 72 hrs in 22 games played,give me a break :lol

Dez

LOL.. yeah the sliders are still pretty crappy.. homers are the only good way to score runs because of the superfast outfielders. So it's almost pointless to swing for contact. Then again, slowing the fielders down would take away some of the homerun robs, leading to even more homers :lol

Basically power should go down to zero, and so should outfielder speed. Ah well I doubt we'd get agreement on that.

Matrix

Konex would have 73,if I hadnt of robbed him of one in our last game :lol

Sliders are awful and sadly I too think 0 is the only thing that could fix it.

Cloudy

Banned
Dez said:
LOL.. yeah the sliders are still pretty crappy.. homers are the only good way to score runs because of the superfast outfielders. So it's almost pointless to swing for contact. Then again, slowing the fielders down would take away some of the homerun robs, leading to even more homers :lol

Basically power should go down to zero, and so should outfielder speed. Ah well I doubt we'd get agreement on that.

I had the power at zero initially but CJ switched it I think...

Dez

I didn't find Konex too hard to shut down.. he flails away at my curves so much :lol. He only beat me because he set up his ace pitcher, Wang, to be the third starter. I can't be sure, but i think the game favours each team's default #1.

Matrix

Dez said:
I didn't find Konex too hard to shut down.. he flails away at my curves so much :lol. He only beat me because he set up his ace pitcher, Wang, to be the third starter. I can't be sure, but i think the game favours each team's default #1.

I only have two pitchers that throw curves I believe,Roy and Woody.Woody doesnt have the speed on his fastball like Roy so im not getting that difference in speed I need to set Konex up with the curve.Konex did K 25 times against Roy,the one time I didnt throw a fastball or curve and Posada takes me deep :lol

Jennings fastball is 91 tops and his best pitch the sinker always gets hit since im pitching in the strikezone.

As for my 4th and 5th starters :lol No comment.

Roy is my only starting pitcher with any kinda fastball,anytime I throw a fastball with anyone else haha hr.

Matrix said:
I only do that when I face your lineup.

Why dont you use the swing stick? or break point pitching?

Why use the Yankees and then make it even easier to play the game?

these leagues are a joke,your team has 72 hrs in 22 games played,give me a break :lol

:lol

Classic example of why we should be able to throw balls as needed.

Cloudy

Banned
these leagues are a joke,your team has 72 hrs in 22 games played,give me a break

It's the sliders. I'm gonna adjust them back to my original settings tonight and let's see how it goes (CJ's tweaking gave more offense).

Yeah, we'll put power all the way down. I hit for contact almost all the time with anybody that's not a power hitter and I have over a .300 batting average to show for it (the highest in the league). I'm not bragging about my batting average, Lord knows my record's not that great, but I'm just saying that contact swings do work if you time it correctly.

It seems like I'm one of the only ones who actually uses the contact swing, and then you guys wonder why there are so many HR's. But I will admit it is (too) easy to hit HR's in this game...

Dez

Cloudy said:
It's the sliders. I'm gonna adjust them back to my original settings tonight and let's see how it goes (CJ's tweaking gave more offense).

The amount of offense is fine, it's just that all of it comes from homeruns. Lowering the power won't help unless you also lower the outfield speed (like put boost power and length to 0), because all of those high fly balls will be caught instead of going over the fence.

Anyone want to play tonight?

Matrix

I'll be free to play tonight after Heroes is over.

Matrix

Matrix

7 hrs for Dez,2 for me :lol

I hate this game,unless I have Oswalt I cant get one fastball by anyone.

Wells 4 hrs :lol

Matrix

HAHA Just gave up another 5 hrs,which counted for all of Dez's runs *edit,whoops he got 1 run on a double* :lol And my guys can only hits doubles now.

Unless its Oswalt I cant get one fastball by any of the Jays best hitters.

WTF old settings?

Also the OF speed still feels fast,I was making some bs robs of base hits with Carlos Lee.

I just dont like this game the more ive played of it and thats with new or old settings.

Cant wait for Show.

Dez

Yeah, with pitchers with fastballs <93 mph I can generally wait till i recognize the pitch and still crush it into right field. You can always use the payoff pitching to up the speed on your fastball, use those 0-2 counts to up the ratings of your pitches. I thought the Halladay-Oswalt game was really good. When I finally hit a curve with Matt Stairs, it was very satisfying :lol.

but yeah the sliders are still focked.. Burst speed/length should go down. I don't necessarily think the power is too bad, most of my HRs are because i know hittable pitches are always coming. Just pitch more to the corners or slightly off them and I won't be able to crush it.

Matrix

I know I should pitch more to the corners,but I feel cheap doing it,because of the slight lag we were having off and on.

I should though because my pitchers F-ING suck.

Even if you know hittable pitches are coming,it still shouldnt be that easy to hit hrs.

Cloudy

Banned
Matrix, you're gonna give up homers if everything you throw is right down the middle...uless it's Oswalt :lol

Matrix

I'm not throwing everything down the middle :lol I just dont paint the corners enough and its harder to do with breaking point than pussy pinpoint.

Damn, just got swept again. All games could have went either way, I just couldn't pull them out.

I think the biggest problem with contact swinging is that it's too hard to string together hits. I kept getting 1 or 2 guys in scoring position, but I couldn't bring them home.

This game is depressing :(

Oh, and all of Juan's runs were HR's and basically all of mine. Not complaining about Juan's style of play, just showing you ridiculous this game is. I guess the sliders can only fix so much. And it shouldn't be up to us to make sure the game plays right (thanks 2k).

Matrix

Cloudy said:
When we played, you threw everything right in the middle of the strikezone...

Thats because I didnt care after the game with Roy.You were going to hit me anyway using classic swing with those sliders and the Yankees hitters against my shitty pitchers.

You were bitching in every league how we should throw strikes,so im throwing in the strikezone and its not down the middle everytime.It might look that way cause your hit zone is f-ing huge,cause your team is stacked.

Konex I would love for you to play me using the Stros,breaking point,and swing stick while I use the Yankees,classic swing and pinpoint :lol

Dez

Cloudy said:
When we played, you threw everything right in the middle of the strikezone...

That was probably a sign of frustration after already being crushed. I noticed that in our game 1, after being up 5-2, it seemed like everything was a beachball down the middle, :lol.

Checking the boxscores of the recent oakland-detroit games, :lol only 4 runs scored so far, all solo HRs. This is with power 0. But that HR total isn't bad.. maybe there were still a lot of gappers getting caught. So turn down the outfielder speed and maybe we'll hae something decent.

Matrix

Dez said:
That was probably a sign of frustration after already being crushed.

Bingo.

The problem is no one can score unless its hr's,you will get a double here and there for a rbi,but this league should be called Slugfest and it should now be played like it.

All for arcade baseball!? :lol

Cloudy

Banned
ChrisJames said:
I think the biggest problem with contact swinging is that it's too hard to string together hits. I kept getting 1 or 2 guys in scoring position, but I couldn't bring them home.

I've noticed that for best results, you gotta use the right style depending on the batter. I can't get ANY contacts hit with Giambi for example :lol

Also, use bunting, sac-flys and stealing to get guys over....

So turn down the outfielder speed and maybe we'll hae something decent.

I'll do that...

Cloudy said:
I've noticed that for best results, you gotta use the right style depending on the batter. I can't get ANY contacts hit with Giambi for example :lol

Also, use bunting, sac-flys and stealing to get guys over....

I'll do that...

Don't even get me started. I stole a bunch of bases against Juan and tried a couple sac-bunts, but I managed to screw them up somehow. One of my sac bunt attempts even managed to turn into a double play.

I'm hitting how the player hits in real life (power=Maggs, Sheff. contact=casey, polanco).

-Also, I just realized I lost every game of my series by only 1 run.

Dez

ChrisJames said:

That is definitely true. Even if you do get a single with a runner on second, it is very difficult to score thanks to the super strong outfielder arms. Lots of doubles get taken away. Sliders can help to a certain degree, but we're not using a well tested set of sliders (like some of the ones at operation sports). The game out of the box is pretty terrible - I played about 10 ranked games online and it was ridiculous. Anyway, I don't have any real solutions.. I too am looking forward to the Show.. but I don't think 2k7 is all that bad. We all have different skill levels, and we're not using balanced teams either. I personally think my team is a bit stacked offensively :lol and there's no Boston or Cleveland to balance it out.

Matrix

Dez said:
That is definitely true. Even if you do get a single with a runner on second, it is very difficult to score thanks to the super strong outfielder arms.

Like that play on a deep fly ball to center which should have been an easy sac fly and you gunned me down with Wells at home :lol :(

I find Show to be more about player skill and teams that are stacked dont factor in as much as in this game.

Dez

Matrix said:
Like that play on a deep fly ball to center which should have been an easy sac fly and you gunned me down with Wells at home :lol :(

I find Show to me more about player skill and teams that are stacked dont factor in as much as in this game.

LOL, that throw from wells was insane :lol

JuanMR2

Dez said:
That was probably a sign of frustration after already being crushed. I noticed that in our game 1, after being up 5-2, it seemed like everything was a beachball down the middle, :lol.

Checking the boxscores of the recent oakland-detroit games, :lol only 4 runs scored so far, all solo HRs. This is with power 0. But that HR total isn't bad.. maybe there were still a lot of gappers getting caught. So turn down the outfielder speed and maybe we'll hae something decent.

I won the next game by the score of 1-0...Shannon Stewart's homer being the lone run in the game. Even though I won all the games, it's frustrating not to be able to string hits together. We each had runners is scoring position plenty of times (CJ did a great job of stealing and bunting runners over) but pop ups, ground outs and the dreaded curve ball would put an end to any hope of scoring.

Cloudy said:
Ok guys, I upped contact and worked on the OF speed/throwing power some more. Let's see how that goes :)

Thanks for working on the sliders, I appreciate it.

I still enjoy playing this game because the competition is good and it's fun having all the stats tracked, etc. It's just frustrating that it's so unrealistic. Maybe these new settings will help correct the problem.

Top Bottom