• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenix

Yep, probably not. Would be nice just for closure's sake.

Anyway, notmad.jpg but I'll be damned if some depression isn't setting in now... just because any next-step (for a pitcher) may well involve giving up prospects or something along those lines.
Don't get too attached to any prospects (Marisnick excepted), especially if a #1 guy becomes available.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
LOL at these pathetic drive by posts from "Jays fans".

Honestly my biggest issue with the whole thing is they didn't say a word to temper expectations when all the reports surfaced that the Jays were the winners. Most people took their silence as confirmation of how confident they were that that was true.

Considering that by most accounts Darvish is a better pitcher than Dice K, the fact that the winning bid was only a hair more than what he got tells me they shouldn't have been so confident.

Their payroll is 100 million less than the Yankees, with the richest owners in baseball. It's pathetic. As much as I love the team this is just leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Because they have a fucking policy where they don't comment about rumours. Temper expection? I doubt anyone knew whether they won or not.

Of course their fucking payroll is low, every single major player not named Bautista, Escobar, Lind and Romero are either in their arbirtration years or are pre arb. Payroll will balloon up when players actually start getting extensions.

Going from here I assume AA has no interest at all in Fielder. Lind is awful so I guess 1B is top priority. If Rizzo is available then he has to be priority number 1. Considering the farm system is so deep, if the Pads want prospects the Jays can probably get it done. If they can't do that maybe they do something wacky, maybe sign Beltran and put Bautista at 1B?

Starting pitching, well I doubt AA will do it until sometime in the season because really all of the Jays pitchers are question marks. How badly will Romero regress from last season? Can Morrow start stranding base runners at an average rate and finally pitch like his peripherals say he will? Will Cecil ever find his velocity again? And how will the rookies do? I assume Drabek, Alvarez and McGuire will all get some starts in the majors this year.

Fenix

"I guarantee you the Jays made a 40 million dollar offer .... the problem is we're never gonna know what the offer is"

Love you too, Jays callers.

cashman

Banned
Can't wait to see Bautista launch one off Darvish in six months.

rusrvv1324357511.jpg

Speaking of Bandwagoners, remember that Cardinal fan who showed up? I saw an old thread from March get bumped up where he was talking about how he hates baseball, how much it sucks, and how he doesn't give a shit about the Cardinals so much that he's not sure if they have a team. It was pretty great. I wish I could remember the thread.

Speaking of Bandwagoners, remember that Cardinal fan who showed up? I saw an old thread from March get bumped up where he was talking about how he hates baseball, how much it sucks, and how he doesn't give a shit about the Cardinals so much that he's not sure if they have a team. It was pretty great. I wish I could remember the thread.

Wasn't me!

No, seriously, I'm going to try and maybe some day be kind of a semi- almost- regular in these parts. Just not shit to say about the Cards as of the past week or do.

Also, as said many times "Damn that's a lot of money to negotiate Darvish."4

Kinda hoped TOR would secure the Darvish bid to take them out of the Beltran sweepstakes. Oh well.

AL West just got more exciting.

Why was everyone reporting that Toronto had the high bid last week?
One reporter starts a BS rumor in hopes of being the first to break the story. Others claim to hear similar rumblings to show they have connections. Story of the offseason.

McNei1y

The talks of the Nats and Gio scare me. I'd take Gio easily but after seeing the amount of prospects in that Latos trade... I dunno. I also hope Prince Fielder was in DC for (nats) baseball reasons. lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Um

I still say he signs with the YANKEES!! :eaglecry

or will we trade you eduardo nunez for him

Doytch

Blair at the G&M said:
Evidence of that was presented last winter when the Oakland Athletics crapped out in their pursuit of free-agent pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma – submitting a winning bid of $19.1-million, then failing to sign Iwakuma, leaving his agent Don Nomura to question the sincerity of their interest.
"Crapped out???" :jnc Learn to write, Blair.

verbum

This was posted yesterday on Talking Chop. I hope I can get to one of the stops.

The Braves Caravan has been a fan favorite since they started it back up two years ago. Instead of one big Winterfest, the Braves load up a group of players and alumni into buses and travel around to dozens of stops in different cities throughout the Southeast. Here is the list of of dates and stops for this year's caravan (specific stops in each city will be announced later):

Friday, Jan. 27: Spartanburg, S.C., and Charlotte, N.C.
Saturday, Jan. 28: Lilburn and Snellville, Ga.
Sunday, Jan. 29: Montgomery and Auburn, Ala.
Monday, Jan. 30: Atlanta and McDonough, Ga.
Tuesday, Jan. 31: Macon, Ga.
Wednesday, Feb. 1: Augusta, Ga., and Columbia, S.C.
Thursday, Feb. 2: Birmingham, Ala.
Friday, Feb. 3: Athens, Ga.
Saturday, Feb. 4: Nashville, Tenn.
Monday, Feb. 6: Rome and Cumming, Ga.
Tuesday, Feb. 7: Greenville, S.C.
Wednesday, Feb. 8: Atlanta, Ga.
Thursday, Feb. 9: Knoxville and Chattanooga, Tenn.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Twins do a similar caravan through ND, SD, and MN every winter. This year the new radio voice will be at my stop so I might go. I've went in the past, it is pretty fun. Maybe I can ask Ron Gardenhire why he hates platooning players.

JABEE

Bill Conlin resigned today over Child Molestation allegations by the Inquirer's investigative Journalist according to DeadSpin.

http://deadspin.com/5869737/

It's disgusting. If this is true, it's really sad. Conlin has been a Hall of Fame Columnist at the Daily News for decades. Is everyone a pedophile?

JABEE

I never met the guy.

I think at this point we should nuke Pennsylvania just to be sure.

I never met him either, but he was always on Daily News Live in Philadelphia up until a few years ago when his wife died and he had arguments with the people who ran the show. He was just inducted into the Hall of Fame this year. Pennsylvania needs to crack down on this.

eznark

Banned
I never met him either, but he was always on Daily News Live in Philadelphia up until a few years ago when his wife died and he had arguments with the people who ran the show. He was just inducted into the Hall of Fame this year. Pennsylvania needs to crack down on this.

Yeah, I know who he is. He always seemed like a huge scumbag to me. Not a pedophile scumbag, more like a cheap hooker scumbag. I'm not shocked by the behavior of anyone I haven't personally met. And even then it's tough.

Sanjuro

Fuck you guys. Blow up Pennsylvania? Something, Something, JoePa, innocent, something, legacy, something, something, fatherless children.

Doytch

Fuck you guys. Blow up Pennsylvania? Something, Something, JoePa, innocent, something, legacy, something, something, fatherless children.
maybe then they wont be raped???

random: HOLY SHIT im streaming the fan 590 cause im waiting for my flight, and this afternoon show is terribad. "it makes you cock an eyebrow -" "wait, what? what is this, satellite radio?" kill yourselves, this is worse than i remember dean blundell being when i was in high school.

Sanjuro

Hi everyone. It's been a while.

I am a little bit concerned with the Rangers move to pay 52 mil to talk to a pitcher. Really, really concerned.

I'm concerned as well. Concerned that my small market team is going to be unable to compete against your Evil Texan Empire. Stop ruining the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom