• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryehn

Wow the Mets got Rauch and Frank Francisco (Hot Dog Rice-a-Roni as my wife calls him). Must have really liked all those late game implosions they saw on the Jays last year.

ToxicAdam

Why didn't the Yankees bid higher? It's not like they're currently overflowing with great pitching.

image.jpg

mYm|17|

Rays 2012 BA top 10 prospects

1. Matt Moore, lhp
2. Hak-Ju Lee, ss
3. Chris Archer, rhp
4. Taylor Guerrieri, rhp
5. Alex Colome, rhp
6. Alex Torres, lhp
7. Tim Beckham, ss
8. Enny Romero, lhp
9. Drew Vettleson, of
10. Mikie Mahtook, of

Not bad

ObiDin

brah he gonna bring in advertising revenue, no more fred loya insurance backstops and the like. we gonna have 3ds and wii U backstops. fuckin' amazing.

Just so long as there are no more "The Dump" signs in front of our bullpen like there was a couple of years ago...smh.

And "evil empire of texas" does sound nice, but don't we have to pretty much double our payroll to get to the yankees level?

Gotta think that letting CJ go and throwing money at Yu was the plan all offseason after the way this played out.

Just so long as there are no more "The Dump" signs in front of our bullpen like there was a couple of years ago...smh.

And "evil empire of texas" does sound nice, but don't we have to pretty much double our payroll to get to the yankees level?

Gotta think that letting CJ go and throwing money at Yu was the plan all offseason after the way this played out.

They got contract extensions comin' up for their big hitters. Either the Chicken Express sign in right field is payin' alot or they gonna Hick's it up.

We actually have a budget? Wow, you learn something new everyday.

The Yankees are at the edge of there budget yes, but the Yankess baseball team can always use there profits from YES/Concession(its own company) which are not part of the Yankees.
The Luxury tax is the edge of our budget, the Yanks will stay around 194 mil so they can save money over the long term.

Also if the Yanks were at the edge of there budget, Soriano would of not been signed.

The Yanks have very low debt and since the new stadium they have been profiting even with low 200 mil payrolls during a recession.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/33/baseball-valuations-11_New-York-Yankees_334613.html

The Orioles turned down the Braves trade attempt for Adam Jones. The Braves were believed to have offered Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado, and an unnamed young pitcher.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Orioles turned down the Braves trade attempt for Adam Jones. The Braves were believed to have offered Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado, and an unnamed young pitcher.
wow that would have been fucking awful. Thankfully the orioles are dumb.

edit: i doubt that this rumor is real the more I think about it. No one in their right mind would turn that down for jones.

Malo

Banned
Baseball America's Top Ten Yankees list

1. Jesus Montero
2. Manny Banuelos
3. Dellin Betances
4. Gary Sanchez
5. Mason Williams
6. Dante Bichette Jr.
7. Ravel Santana
8. Austin Ronnie
9. J.R. Murphy
10. Slade Heathcott

Kind of surprised to see Santana make it and not Warren or Phelps. Also almost half of the top ten is made up of catchers even though some of them won't stay there long term.

Malo

Banned
wow that would have been fucking awful. Thankfully the orioles are dumb.

edit: i doubt that this rumor is real the more I think about it. No one in their right mind would turn that down for jones.
You underestimate the Orioles' stupidity.

Thing is Mets had two, now they only have one.
It does reflect a philosophy change though. Mets usually like to groom high-schoolers for a long period of time. I've heard from Sandy they're looking to draft more college guys and shorten the "grooming" process.

EDIT:
Mike Puma of the New York Post says WFAN recently auditioned Jim Duquette for a spot in the Mets radio booth next season, since “Wayne Hagin is not expected to return.”

According to the report, Billy Sample, WFAN reporter Ed Coleman and SNY host Chris Carlin are also being considered.

In 2008, Hagin replaced Tom McCarthy, who replaced Gary Cohen when he left WFAN to join SNY’s TV booth for the 2006 season.
Thank God. I hate Wayne Hagin.

Man...the new entries on the Hall of Fame ballot are fucking pathetic except for Bernie Williams. :lol

-- Jeromy Burnitz
-- Vinny Castilla
-- Brian Jordan
-- Javy Lopez
-- Bill Mueller
-- Terry Mulholland
-- Phil Nevin
-- Brad Radke
-- Tim Salmon
-- Ruben Sierra
-- Bernie Williams
-- Tony Womack
-- Eric Young

If Dale Murphy doesn't make it this year, he won't ever.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Man...the new entries on the Hall of Fame ballot are fucking pathetic except for Bernie Williams. :lol

-- Jeromy Burnitz
-- Vinny Castilla
-- Brian Jordan
-- Javy Lopez
-- Bill Mueller
-- Terry Mulholland
-- Phil Nevin
-- Brad Radke
-- Tim Salmon
-- Ruben Sierra
-- Bernie Williams
-- Tony Womack
-- Eric Young

Uhhh, he's pathetic too. Has no business getting 10% of votes or whatever he ends up getting. It's definitely a sad list of former players. I will have always a spot in my heart for loathing Brian Jordan though.

Malo

Banned
Uhhh, he's pathetic too. Has no business getting 10% of votes or whatever he ends up getting. It's definitely a sad list of former players. I will have always a spot in my heart for loathing Brian Jordan though.
Lol @ calling a person who accumulated 47 war in his career pathetic. He shouldn't get in but he's far from pathetic.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I know I'm late here, but this rumour was obviously complete bullshit. There's no way in fuck Wren would have offered that package for Jones. This is just the Orioles trying to inflate Jones' market.

And if the baseball press has demonstrated anything this offseason, it is that they should not ever be believed when they are the only one reporting something.
The Reds have traded Travis Wood to the Cubs in exchange for Sean Marshall.
And this one hasn't been confirmed either, right? And the Reds supposedly included two minor leaguers? I'll believe it when it's confirmed. But, I will say, that that would be sincerely retarded on the Reds' part.

Sanjuro

Ellis Burks should be a HoF'er before Bernie!

Also, Bill Bucker was just hired as a hitting coach for Cubs A affiliate in Boise.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm not hating on Bernie Williams. He's the stand out of this sorry class. The guy was Steve Finley / Devon White good, almost as good as Mike Cameron. He was a good player, I don't hate him for anything other than the fact he was a Yankee.

And yes Ellis Burks > Bernie.

MC Safety

Absolutely embarrassing. How fucking pathetic.

I can't wait until the Wilponzis are destitute and are forced to sell.

For $20 million you get to fund the Wilpons. That's the worst incentive of all.

And, the article notes, it's not clear how much (if any) a potential minor investor in the team might have to pay after the Madoff trustee lawsuit.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

-- Jeromy Burnitz
-- Vinny Castilla
-- Brian Jordan
-- Javy Lopez
-- Bill Mueller
-- Terry Mulholland
-- Phil Nevin
-- Brad Radke
-- Tim Salmon
-- Ruben Sierra
-- Bernie Williams
-- Tony Womack
-- Eric Young

Beyond the Boxscore did that weighted WAR hall of fame thing a year ago (takes into account a player's peak) and bernie was closer than i thought. The dude that did it said he missed by 5 wWAR. Dale Murphy was in btw (barely, he had the minimum).

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/3/10/2041906/the-hall-of-wwar-center-fielders

he recently did an updated version recently

http://darowski.com/hall-of-wwar/

and posted his top 25 players that are eligible that are not in
Players Not in the Hall of Fame (According to wWAR) are:

Al Spalding (139.0 wWAR/norm)
Jeff Bagwell (132.6)
Bob Caruthers (120.8)
Pete Rose (116.1)
Shoeless Joe Jackson (115.0)
Bill Dahlen (113.2)
Ron Santo (110.4)
Ross Barnes (105.3)
Jack Glasscock (104.3)
Ted Simmons (102.5)
Deacon White (101.9)
Joe Torre (100.7)
Edgar Martinez (100.5)
Barry Larkin (100.2)
Bobby Grich (99.9)
Alan Trammell (99.3)
Larry Walker (98.8)
Dick Allen (98.1)
Kevin Brown (95.9)
Jim Wynn (95.1)
Lou Whitaker (93.4)
Wes Ferrell (93.2)
Sal Bando (93.0
Rick Reuschel (91.9)
Thurman Munson (91.4)
and then he did an Upcoming Hall of Fame Candidates, by Weighted WAR article.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/11/18/2569018/upcoming-hall-of-fame-candidates-by-weighted-war

Joe Mauer is already on that list, which is impressive. I knew Pujols would be there, but didn't think of Mauer.

Love the whole series of articles.
What other ex-Braves are FAs?
Andruw is the big one. Don't see him going to the Royals though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom