• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Very curious on which bid team Joe is joining. I think he'd obviously be good for the Dodgers but I am still pulling for Cuban.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Very curious on which bid team Joe is joining. I think he'd obviously be good for the Dodgers but I am still pulling for Cuban.

BNightengale Bob Nightengale
Torre has joined Rick Caruso, an LA -based real estate developer, according to a high-ranking #MLB official.

RBH

Pool1.gif.opt_medium.gif

:lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Would anybody be able to point me into the right direction of video of the play of Bo Jackson throwing out Harold Reynolds. I need to show this to someone and to my surprise, youtube doesn't appear to have this clip anywhere.

So the Mets are paying Strawberry 8,000 a month in deferred money. His wife tried to claim the money and wasn't allowed. At this point we should all file claims to see if we are owed money.

Cousteau

Damn. Looks like MLB gave out uniform coloring books at some elementary schools in Miami.

Took the worst entrant in the contest and made it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
This was the guy who came up and hit .400 for nearly a month before he got a tiny ankle sprain, causing Fredi to buckle and start using Heyward again, who continued to blow ass.
yeah the bad ankle was the reason he came back to earth.

yeah the bad ankle was the reason he came back to earth.

He was never given a chance to come down to earth. As soon as he sprained his ankle in Chicago, he was never used on a regular basis again for the rest of the season and Fredi went with Heyward. Fredi's talked about benching Constanza being his biggest second-guessed issue with the collapse multiple times.

Windu

heyward had a .373 OBP from the end of the Chicago Series to the end of the season. I hope Fredi second guesses himself more often.

Talon

Eternal, you're just flat out wrong in this case. You shouldn't be relying on BA and speed for Costanza.

JHey's your franchise guy. If you believe in him, you need to let him play.

heyward had a .373 OBP from the end of the Chicago Series to the end of the season. I hope Fredi second guesses himself more often.

According to B-R, Heyward had a line of .266/.358/.392 in his final 30 games, a stretch that started one day after Constanza's ankle "injury".

In Constanza's 27 games he played from his call up on July 29 to his ankle "injury" on August 23, Constanza's line was .372/.417/.487. He only started 6 games after that and was mostly used as a pinch hitter the rest of the season.

You tell me which line is better. The Braves offense was at its total best in August when Bourn & Constanza were going insane and setting the table for Uggla & Freeman.

I don't give a shit about coddling people. I give a shit about seeing the best team put on the field that gets them to the postseason and they didn't do that. Heyward was garbage all season long and should have been sent to AAA when Constanza flat out won the job from him. Heyward's a big boy. He knew what was going on.

Windu

According to B-R, Heyward had a line of .266/.358/.392 in his final 30 games, a stretch that started one day after Constanza's ankle "injury".

In Constanza's 27 games he played from his call up on July 29 to his ankle "injury" on August 23, Constanza's line was .372/.417/.487. He only started 6 games after that and was mostly used as a pinch hitter the rest of the season.

You tell me which line is better. The Braves offense was at its total best in August when Bourn & Constanza were going insane and setting the table for Uggla & Freeman.

I don't give a shit about coddling people. I give a shit about seeing the best team put on the field that gets them to the postseason and they didn't do that. Heyward was garbage all season long and should have been sent to AAA when Constanza flat out won the job from him. Heyward's a big boy. He knew what was going on.
argh. not this again. Anyway, the whole discussion was whether it was sustainable. I didnt think it was and still don't. He played very well for a few weeks. Good, i love that he did. But if i had to choose who would perform better, i go with the better player and better track record. 9 times out of 10 that player outperforms the other and is the better bet. Hot/Cold streaks don't carry over from at bat to at bat, they are not predictive. There was no way of knowing if and when Constanza was going to start to slow down, it was a risk i wasn't willing to take. And if it wasn't for the ankle injury Fredi would have kept playing him like i feared until he went 0 for 100.

And i doubt he makes the team out of spring training, i would probably rather have him on the bench than Diaz, he can at least play CF.

I just don't think it's fair that they never gave him a chance to truly come down. I am not going to sit here and say that I think Constanza is a .370 hitter all season. I knew that wasn't going to last. But I would have rathered let him keep going until he sank on his own rather than slam the status-quo button as soon as he felt a tickle in his ankle.

Windu

I just don't think it's fair that they never gave him a chance to truly come down. I am not going to sit here and say that I think Constanza is a .370 hitter all season. I knew that wasn't going to last. But I would have rathered let him keep going until he sank on his own rather than slam the status-quo button as soon as he felt a tickle in his ankle.
with the playoff implications, that i think is too big of a risk. The ankle injury was a blessing in disguise. Got him out of there at the right time.

with the playoff implications, that i think is too big of a risk. The ankle injury was a blessing in disguise. Got him out of there at the right time.

........so you're saying that you don't know when the guy would have stop hitting so take him out and put in the guy that was not hitting?

Windu

........so you're saying that you don't know when the guy would have stop hitting so take him out and put in the guy that was not hitting?
no, i'm saying i thought Heyward would have performed better going forward based on his body of work and him being the more talented player. You can't say that because someone got a hit the last at bat so he is more likely to get a hit this at bat. The larger sample is the better bet.

no, i'm saying i thought Heyward would have performed better going forward based on his body of work and him being the more talented player. You can't say that because someone got a hit the last at bat so he is more likely to get a hit this at bat. The larger sample is the better bet.

but there was no indication that Heyward was going to turn it around? where is Heyward's great body of work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom