• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Olney says the Rays have best rotation, what you guys think? I have to agree, 1-5 great young talent with addition of Matt Moore.

Rays rotation is great but yeah its the Phillies.

January will be interesting for the Rays. They still don't actually have a 1B or DH on the roster. They'll probably just wait for some veteran who realizes he's priced himself out of most roster spots who takes a 1 year deal with the Rays like they usually do (could just be Casey Kotchman again), but it'd be interesting to see them unload some of that pitching for a more long term solution at 1B.

Madtown_

i do recall one of the brewers beat writers or whatever saying something stupid and getting a lot of responses from him. i think i may have jumped in as well.

I'd assume it would be Tom Haudricourt at the Milwaukee JS but maybe it was McCalvy. I wasn't around here then so I wouldn't know.

Meohsix

BREAKING: @Yankees unable to reach deal with INF Hiroyuki Nakajima, whom they won rights to negotiate with through posting process.

Cashman: “We unfortunately could not come to an agreement with Hiroyuki. We wish him the best of luck during the upcoming 2012 season.”

eznark

Banned
eznark, what's up with this? You and McCalvy not best friends?

Brewers.com editor's remark about some fan giveaways: https://twitter.com/#!/AdamMcCalvy/status/154600455832473600

I did embarrass him once at a Spring Training game in front of Melvin. Like 8 years ago or so. I think I told that story before. Doug Davis' wife punched our other friend that same night.

I've never gotten into a twitter fight with him, that was probably Haudricourt. Tom and I are not old friends, we just don't like each other.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ken Rosenthal
Zambrano deal official. He waived no-trade and $19.25M opt for '13 that would have kicked in if he finished in top 4 of Cy vote.

Zambrano also settled grievance with #Cubs, getting back 24 days salary from 30-game suspension w/o pay in 2011 - almost $2.4M.

Finally, Zambrano deal now includes $100K bonus if he wins Comeback Player of the Year in 2012. Free agent next winter.

Zambrano trade to Marlins is official. He waived his no-trade clause AND his $19.25 million vesting option.

He will now also get a $100,000 bonus if he wins Comeback Player of the Year.

Zambrano also won his grievance against the Cubs and will be getting the $2.4 million that was withheld from him after being placed on the suspended list.

Mrbob

Big Z and Ozzie together. Miami Marlins are the team to watch this year with all the combustible fireworks between the manager and players on the roster!

Mrbob

Haha oh yeah no doubt! This is how they sell tickets!

Eznark, gotta say it feels good starting to clean house of all trash, even if the rebuilding process will take a couple years! There are some juicy, choice quotes here:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120105&content_id=26266154&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

Epstein was unable to find a trade partner until three days ago. Zambrano did not want to even discuss a trade during a face to face meeting with Epstein in November in Chicago.

But Epstein, who took over as president of baseball operations in late October, discovered a recurring theme in conversations with players and front-office executives regarding Zambrano. None of them trusted the mercurial pitcher to change his ways.
Epstein had outlined steps Zambrano needed to take to earn his way back with the Cubs, but he said he was skeptical it could happen.

"Every player who I talked to articulated to me that Carlos had violated their trust," Epstein said. "When you're talking about physical altercations with teammates repeatedly, when you're talking about physically walking out on the team, it's very hard to have that player come back into the clubhouse and be trusted.

"I think, to be a good teammate, there has to be a certain degree of trust and accountability.
Do I believe in second chances? Yes. Do I believe in third chances? Yes, in come cases -- even fourth chances. I think you have to be realistic about it and recognize that players don't dictate decisions like this, but you're trying to establish a certain sense of unity in the clubhouse and a certain sense of purpose, you have to have accountability and trust between the players."

Now the team needs to unload Soriano, but that contract will be tough to move!

Macattk15

How the hell did we sign Iwakuma for 1.5M? Incentives up to 5M or so.

Not offense ... but I'll take adding any talent to the team right now ...

Allard

How the hell did we sign Iwakuma for 1.5M? Incentives up to 5M or so.

Not offense ... but I'll take adding any talent to the team right now ...

It sounds like a combination of coming fresh off an injury (Was put on the disabled list last year but came back with some decent stats) and the nature of playing as a Japanese player in Seattle. He played with Ichiro and thanks to Ichiro being on the team, the mariner games are all broadcast in Japan as well. And yeah its something to be excited about in a very hush hush off season, but I really, really hope we can sign at minimum one power hitter that can get at MINIMUM above 260 batting average. I still don't understand despite everything that happened last year how we ended up with players hitting as bad as they did, I wasn't expecting anything great from them but damn.

eznark

Banned
Haha oh yeah no doubt! This is how they sell tickets!

Eznark, gotta say it feels good starting to clean house of all trash, even if the rebuilding process will take a couple years! There are some juicy, choice quotes here:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120105&content_id=26266154&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

Now the team needs to unload Soriano, but that contract will be tough to move!

I told you that your garbage team should have started doing that last year instead of wasting time on Pena. This is the right move for the Cubs and it sucks.

Dave Duncan has stepped down as Cardinals pitching coach. He is taking an indefinite leave of absence to be with his wife, who is suffering from brain cancer. Duncan will be re-assigned in the organization.

Iwakuma couldn't agree to terms with the A's last year and now signs for 1.5 mil with number 6 org? Brah will get shelled in Safeco, he's a system pitcher. lol
Watch me troll in the NFL thread with sabremetrics

Mrbob

So is Epstein making fhe these trades or is it Hoyer?

I think Epstein has been the one shopping Big Z. but the moves are one and the same. Hoyer is Epstein's guy anyway, so I'm sure they are both involved in all moves.

I told you that your garbage team should have started doing that last year instead of wasting time on Pena. This is the right move for the Cubs and it sucks.

The answer is simple:

hendry-and-zambrano.jpg

No more Hendry! Smart people running the team now. Wish the Bears would have fully cleaned house in the front office too instead of the half step move they made.

I think Epstein has been the one shopping Big Z. but the moves are one and the same. Hoyer is Epstein's guy anyway, so I'm sure they are both involved in all moves.

The answer is simple:

hendry-and-zambrano.jpg

No more Hendry! Smart people running the team now. Wish the Bears would have fully cleaned house in the front office too instead of the half step move they made.

I've always felt the Cubs would've been the midwestern Yankees, if only they had a brain.

So the Mets have hired the same turnaround consultants who handled the Rangers bankruptcy sale. Steps in the right direction. Either they get things on the positive or they suggest selling the team. Win win.

Sharp

So the Mets have hired the same turnaround consultants who handled the Rangers bankruptcy sale. Steps in the right direction. Either they get things on the positive or they suggest selling the team. Win win.
I don't know, I think the Wilpons are very underrated as owners. I hope they get the opportunity to prove once again that they deserve to remain in charge for many, many, many, many years to come.

I don't know, I think the Wilpons are very underrated as owners. I hope they get the opportunity to prove once again that they deserve to remain in charge for many, many, many, many years to come.

Sharp I was gonna ask you, read sumthing about a new tv deal for the Nationals, would that still involve Angelos?

Sharp

Sharp I was gonna ask you, read sumthing about a new tv deal for the Nationals, would that still involve Angelos?
I'm not clear on the new details but my understanding was that it would be more of a 50-50 split between the two, as opposed to the like 90-10 split that's going on now. Pretty sure we're still locked into MASN regardless, but it sounds like we'll at least have some new cash to play with, which is good.

Mrbob

You don't pay in advance. Charged when the game ships.

Also, the Castro allegations are scary. Who thought it was a good idea to have him room with Soriano last season? Probably learned things from him.

eznark

Banned
You don't pay in advance. Charged when the game ships.

Also, the Castro allegations are scary. Who thought it was a good idea to have him room with Soriano last season? Probably learned things from him.

Thanks! Ordered.

I think there is something seriously wrong with a sports world that completely comes to a halt when a failed steroid test leaks but makes nary a peep when another guy gang rapes some poor woman.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Do games usually cost $50 or $60? It's been a while...since I bought The Show 11.

Usually its $60.

I wonder if anybody screws up like Modells did last year. $48 isn't a bad price at all for day 1, although I'd like to hear what the new features actually are added before I plop down money to get it day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom