• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
I know next to nothing about Baseball.

Just saw Moneyball and really enjoyed it and I have a few questions. I see you guys are in the off season so I hope I'm not derailing by asking!

Got some questions;
1) How close is this to the real life events. (eg, Did Kansas really come back? Did Beane and the team manager really disagree so much and does that kinda thing happen often? Were players really axed in that way? Just generally how much liberty did they take with the truth.)
2) How has this effected baseball since? I imagine it must have been quite significantly. I know the Red Sox won using a similar strategy, has anybody else done the same?
3) How the hell do baseball teams play so frequently!?

1. They got most of the season right, all the ups and downs are accurate and the KC game is accurate. I don't think Beane and Howe had that big of a disagreement during the season. (Interesting to note though, Pena did end up being better than Hatteberg.) Things like that do happen, but eventually someone is going to go. What was significantly dramatized was the criticism. Beane was in no danger of losing his job that season.

2. Most teams have adapted to the moneyball method of evaluating players. There are quite a few teams that have hired brainy gms and have had good success. (Texas and Tampa Bay)

3. Baseball is more of a grind than anything. One game isn't that taxing on a player, but playing repeatedly during the summer months will take its toll.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i don't know much about those minor leaguers that the padres gave up but i fear what Carlos Quentin will be like playing the field in Petco. Should be fun to watch.
I know next to nothing about Baseball.

Just saw Moneyball and really enjoyed it and I have a few questions. I see you guys are in the off season so I hope I'm not derailing by asking!

Got some questions;
1) How close is this to the real life events. (eg, Did Kansas really come back? Did Beane and the team manager really disagree so much and does that kinda thing happen often? Were players really axed in that way? Just generally how much liberty did they take with the truth.)
2) How has this effected baseball since? I imagine it must have been quite significantly. I know the Red Sox won using a similar strategy, has anybody else done the same?
3) How the hell do baseball teams play so frequently!?
its kinda accurate. the movie focuses on the 2002 season but beane hired Paul DePodesta (the person Peter Brand was mostly based off of) in 1999. Oakland's success was not just one season it was really from 2000 to 2006. And although using statisical anaylasis to create an advantage worked, it was really only one peice of the puzzle. The movie makes it look like scouts were useless, but in fact without their scouting and development (which i think was a bigger reason for their success) they would not have had that run. Sabermetrics helped fill in the gaps. You can't win without the others.

Other stuff that was weird was having a meeting for a trade in the indians' office, why not just do it by phone? i get that it moved the plot along but it was kinda strange for Beane to fly all the way to Cleveland to make a proposal for a trade.

And Jeremy Giambi (the player that was caught dancing in the clubhouse) was with the team before the 2002 season, in fact he was involved in a classic play in the playoffs the previous year. He was traded from the Royals to the A's before the 2000 season.

And honestly having to replace Damon and Isringhausen wasn't that big of a deal. Damon was horrible in 2001 and Isringhausen was a good reliever but still a reliever, they don't pitch enough to make it a massive problem. Now Jason Giambi on the other hand, yeah that would be hard to replace. He was the best player in the American League in 2001. Justice and Hattebery did not really come that close to replacing that production though, but still had good seasons.

And yeah i don't think Beane was in jeopardy of losing his job that year and they needed a antagonist so that is probably why the manager was a asshole. I don't think it was like that in real life.

And i think those trades midseason was a three team trade if i recall, not seperate trades.

Anyway, the A's success in 2002 was mainly due to players they drafted/signed and developed. The trio of pitchers Hudson, Zito and Mulder, the Shortstop Miguel Tejada and the 3rd Baseman Eric Chavez. They used statistical analaysis to fill in the holes though by finding the inefficiencies in the market.

And yeah as the end of the movie indicates, other teams began to use advanced statistics along with scouting and development to get the best players. All teams do that these days, and since the A's have such a low payroll they are back to square one. They don't have an advantage over other teams. And a baseball team plays 162 games per season. The season starts in April, ends in early October, late September. Teams usually have a day off every week or so.

Anyway the movie gets the general point across and is a great film imo. Just don't go in to it expecting a documentary (ahem keith law)

cashman

Banned
Other stuff that was weird was having a meeting for a trade in the indians' office, why not just do it by phone? i get that it moved the plot along but it was kinda strange for Beane to fly all the way to Cleveland to make a proposal for a trade.

That scene should have taken place at winter meetings.

I watched a Scott Boras Bio and they had some sabr guy saying that by the end of the end of most of the contracts, boras's clients end up performing up to or beyond the market value of their contract. Is this true or not?

Perhaps he's so directly responsible for inflating the market himself that the ends of his long-term contracts are close to par with the salaries he pumped up in the intervening years.

I think I just made myself dizzy.

Albert Pujols contract breakdown. Hold on to ya butts.

2012: $12 million
2013: $16 million
2014: $23 million
2015: $24 million
2016: $25 million
2017: $26 million
2018: $27 million
2019: $28 million
2020: $29 million
2021: $30 million

Incentives
-- $3 million bonus for hit #3,000
-- $7 million bonus for home run #763

10-year, $10 million personal services contract to begin when he retires.

Full no-trade protection.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That's nuts. He's either planning to sell the team, banking on an amnesty clause being in the next CBA or the world ending at the end of 2012.

eznark

Banned

Incentives

Cubs, lets his be your Prince Fielder blueprint. Please?

With those incentives (and I am sure there are others) he is practically guaranteed a $40m year.

Mrbob

Cubs, lets his be your Prince Fielder blueprint. Please?

With those incentives (and I am sure there are others) he is practically guaranteed a $40m year.

With Theo in the front office, those bad Soriano contracts are a thing of the past! Pujols fleeced the Angels.

Can't believe Fielder is going to waste away his career in DC for the money.

Malo

Banned

Incentives

Holy back loaded contract batman.

Marlins and Greg Dobbs have agreed to a two-year, $3 million deal.

Pirates and Jo-Jo Reyes have agreed on a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.

He's a better fit here than anywhere else and I even took off my homer goggles to type that.

Anywhere else? Last time I checked, the Brewers are short a proven 1B, and could probably use a nice masher of his caliber.

I do agree that the Nats are probably his final destination though. Money talks.

McNei1y

Anywhere else? Last time I checked, the Brewers are short a proven 1B, and could probably use a nice masher of his caliber.

I do agree that the Nats are probably his final destination though. Money talks.

Ah, let me clarify: any one of the other teams currently in talks of where he could land. I agree with the Brewers and a select other teams but I thought a bunch of them dropped out of the talks/rumors because of money and such? I was referring to the O's, Mariners, Cubs, and Nats talk.

CJ Wilson/Angels 5-year, $77.5 million contract breakdown:

2012 (age 31): $10 million
2013 (age 32): $11 million
2014 (age 33): $16 million
2015 (age 34): $18 million
2016 (age 35): $20 million

-- Full no-trade protection from 2012-2013

-- Limited no-trade protection from 2014-2016; may submit list of 8 no-trade teams every year

Incentives
-- Cy Young: $0.15 million, 1st; $0.075 million for 2nd or 3rd
-- World Series MVP: $0.1 million
-- Gold Glove: $0.075 million
-- LCS MVP: $0.075 million
-- All-Star Selection: $0.05 million

Perks
-- May purchase 8 Diamond Club seats for all Angel Stadium events and luxury suite for home games Wilson pitches (Wilson's suite price is $2,000 in 2012 and increases 5% each season)

clemenx

Banned
LoMo said:
I really hope Ozzies on-field instructions r easier 2 understand than his tweets. I literally have no idea what this dude is talking about..

Ozzie said:
@lomomarlins if you need instructiones you are in big troble with me. Good players dont need that lol. Happy new years

Lol, Ozzie's the best.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rays signed Fernando Rodney.

I guess he's this year's reclamation project like Farnsworth was last season, but dear god why. Why. Hopefully he never pitches an inning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom