• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Potential 2014 Ballot First-Timers
-- J.T. Snow
-- Shawn Estes

Y4StS.gif

I can wish lol

Nope. They only broke laws in order to secure an unfair competitive advantage over those with whom they were competing. Hardly what I'd call 'cheating.'

Not cheating!

Sanjuro

Nope. They only broke laws in order to secure an unfair competitive advantage over those with whom they were competing. Hardly what I'd call 'cheating.'

Barry Larkin was my single most favorite player growing up. I'm glad he is getting the recognition he deserves. :)
Pretty sure Larkin was a roider too.

eznark

Banned
I think congress* should call every single reporter in front of them to tell the People what they know and why they covered it up. If BBWA has enough information to not vote for guys, why did they sit on that information while these clear roiders were playing? At the very least they are complicit. More likely they were enthusiastic enablers, especially ESPN who pimped the shit out of home runs and record breakers.

*(not really, I think congress should jump in front of a bus)

F Mart is on waivers. /mest

(To make room for Ronny Cedeno and Scott Hairston lololol)
Shit he's gone. The guy is only 23. Worth a claim in my opinion. Change of scencery might di wonders. I read fhe only reason he signed with the Mets was because of Pedro. Padres were offering more cash.

Bonds is too good and too relevant to the overall history of this game to not get into the Hall. His stats before the spike should be good enough on their own to get him in.

Clemens would've had that argument before all the misremembering and Congress and whathaveyou. Even McGwire knew to shut the fuck up and lay low to rehabilitate his image; Clemens got all argumentative and impetuous. Clemens I can understand having to wait a really, really long time. But Bonds, not so much.

Sharp

I'm not really sure what you can judge a pitcher on other than what he actually did when he's done his career... like, that just seems like basic common sense to me, sabometrics or no sabometrics.

Jon

Ok so I got a baseball trivia page-a-day calendar for Christmas, so as often as I can remember, I'll try to post the question of the day here. No cheating! I'll post the answer later today.

Question 1:

Who was the youngest pitcher ever to win the American League ERA title?

A) Walter Johnson
B) Jim Palmer
C) Cy Young
D) Babe Ruth

Bonus points if you can tell me the age or ERA!

I'm not really sure what you can judge a pitcher on other than what he actually did when he's done his career... like, that just seems like basic common sense to me, sabometrics or no sabometrics.

But you know baseball doesn't do that, because of the image of the game in America.

Clemens could've absolutely dominated people for years - which he did - but he cheated, and that makes him Hitler until further notice.

Ok so I got a baseball trivia page-a-day calendar for Christmas, so as often as I can remember, I'll try to post the question of the day here. No cheating! I'll post the answer later today.

Question 1:

A) Walter Johnson
B) Jim Palmer
C) Cy Young
D) Babe Ruth

Google instant search should do the trick.
Lol jk. I think its Walter Johnson.

Sharp

Question 1:

A) Walter Johnson
B) Jim Palmer
C) Cy Young
D) Babe Ruth

Didn't Walter Johnson win when he was like 17?

Sanjuro

Question 1:

A) Walter Johnson
B) Jim Palmer
C) Cy Young
D) Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth. I think he was twenty with a sub-2.00 era.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'd guess Ruth mainly because he switched to a hitter when he was still young right? So if he did win a ERA title he had to be young.

But you know baseball doesn't do that, because of the image of the game in America.

Clemens could've absolutely dominated people for years - which he did - but he cheated, and that makes him Hitler until further notice.

but cheated how? if he took all the steroids in the world and his stats went down, is that cheating? he was a hall of famer before all this anyway so the writers are full of crap.

and I'm going with Ruth too.

Jon

The answer is Babe Ruth!

He was 21 and posted a 1.75 ERA, going 23 - 12 on the season!

Congrats to Sanjuro, who seemingly had this nailed from the get-go, and also Windu and Cajole for being good sports.

SonicMegaDrive can go fist his own ass.

Stay tuned for more trivia, leading up to spring training! Because let's be honest, I'll probably lose track and forget to do this during the regular season.

Windu

158 era+ that season. Tied for 324th on the all time list with peavy's 2007 season among others.

Also jurrjens in 2009 159 era+. That should be mentioned in every trade negotiation.

JABEE

Question 1:

A) Walter Johnson
B) Jim Palmer
C) Cy Young
D) Babe Ruth

I have that same calendar!

I'm not going to answer because I already saw it.

Hey, what was that MLBN show you guys were talking about awhile back that features a lot of advanced metric talk?

clubhouse confidential, but the one time I saw it Bob Costas was jerking off about integrity or some other shit and saying Jeff Bagwell is iffy on teh hall of fame.

Windu

doesn't sound like a show about sabermetrics, especially with that name. Maybe costas was confused because of the title.

Bob Costas and Mitch Williams should have their own 30-minute show. It would beat the shit out of the crappy show Kevin Millar has.

Aaron Heilman and the Mariners have agreed to a minor league contract/invite to spring training.

newjeruse

I recommend watching Clubhouse Confidential when it re-airs tonight at 7:30 ET. Brian Kenny's opening segment does a great job of breaking down the absurdity behind Jack Morris' HOF push.

Sanjuro

Pedro called into the radio station this afternoon. Forgot how awesomely outspoken he was.

- He is still pissed Zito won the CY Young over him.

- When praised on his domination during the height of the steroid era, basically he said it was a part his job to overcome as they all were doing it. It was what he was supposed to do.

- Never wanted to do steroids. Was offered, declined when he was told his balls would be damaged.

- Said he would be bitter if he never won a championship. Mentioned his numbers declined with age like any normal player should at that stage. Still, he doesn't believe anyone should be judged other than performance when it comes time for Cooperstown.

- Always wanted to stay in Boston, but mentioned the dark side of the game when it comes to contracts. Compared his situation to Pujols in regards of leaving town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom