• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
saberboyx-large.jpg

Saberboy: the hero the BBWAA needs, not the one it particularly wants right now.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...eran-baseball-beat-writer-and-a-statistically

He is missing a theme song though.

Amaro isn't really a good GM. That Phillies team is going to be wretched in about 2015 or so. He's completely wrecked that farm system.

eznark

Banned
Gomez for $2m is awesome. I'll take that anyday.

I watched Moneyball last night and was pleasantly surprised. Some parts of it were funny and clearly Sorkin'd, but for the most part you could almost never tell that that shitty ass hack of a writer worked on the script. They did a great job selecting the segments to focus on and were smart about shitting on Joe Morgan without calling him Joe Morgan. It was rushed at the end but overall pretty good.

I found it humorous that they acted like Beane stayed in Oakland because he loved Oakland and not because he was given ownership stake in the club. Not a fiscal decision at all!!

eznark

Banned
The game looks great as always, but everything they added looks horrendous or useless or both. Quick time events! More complicated hitting! Ways to slow down games even more with useless cut scenes and dancing mascots!

Ryan Howard super skinny and going oppo. lol

Diamond Dynasty might be cool.

Jon

Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza

Question 2:

Rank the following hurlers in career wins for the Giants:

A) Mickey Welch
B) Carl Hubbell
C) Juan Marichal
D) Christy Mathewson

This is a tricky question, on more than one level. I'm going to try to keep track of who gets the most right by the time Spring Training hits...so yeah.

The game looks great as always, but everything they added looks horrendous or useless or both. Quick time events! More complicated hitting! Ways to slow down games even more with useless cut scenes and dancing mascots!

Ryan Howard super skinny and going oppo. lol

Diamond Dynasty might be cool.
Yea all the cutscenes gonna make the game too long. I won't see it anyways since I use Fast Play. Also, that zone analog hitting sounds too fucking hard. Can't believe ppl asked for it.

Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza

Question 2:

Rank the following hurlers in career wins for the Giants:

A) Mickey Welch
B) Carl Hubbell
C) Juan Marichal
D) Christy Mathewson

This is a tricky question, on more than one level. I'm going to try to keep track of who gets the most right by the time Spring Training hits...so yeah.

Mathewson
Hubbell
Marichal
Welch

Jon

Whoops! Meant to post the answer at 3...got tied up at work.

The answer is...

D - B - C = A

Mathewson had 372 wins, followed by Hubbel with 253. Marichal and Welch tied with 238 respectively.

Point to Cajole today, good job man.

Unrelatedly, but somewhat related, MLB Network announced they're going to launch a game show where players and legends from each team will compete for up to $45,000 for charities. It will be in a bracket format. I think it was called Baseball IQ.

The answer is...

D - B - C = A

Mathewson had 372 wins, followed by Hubbel with 253. Marichal and Welch tied with 238 respectively.

Unrelatedly, but somewhat related, MLB Network announced they're going to launch a game show where players and legends from each team will compete for up to $45,000 for charities. It will be in a bracket format. I think it was called Baseball IQ.

Yeah starts in two weeks I think.

we finally got Luke Scott

Florida's cadre of racists and birthers are rejoicing today.

Also...has anyone ever fallen off harder as a prospect than F-Mart? He was hot shit...until he actually attempted to play and turned into dust each time. Maybe time in Houston will get him to reach his potential. He'll definitely get all the playing time he needs there!

Red Sox have acquired 2B Brad Emaus from the Rockies in exchange for cash considerations or a player to be named later.

After being selected from the Blue Jays in the 2010 Rule 5 draft, Emaus was the Opening Day 2B for the Mets in 2011, but was designated for assignment after hitting .162/.262/.162 in 14 games. After clearing waivers, he was returned to the Blue Jays, who traded him to the Rockies the next day.

The answer is...

D - B - C = A

Not sure why no one else guessed. Mathewson is one of the greatest pitchers of all-time and went into the HoF on the first-ever ballot. Hubbell I knew was also extremely good. Marichal I know about, and I didn't know Welch, so I put him last.

Looking forward to Baseball IQ.

He should go to Japan and overinflate his value by destroying their mediocre-by-MLB-standards pitching. Team executives will buy it hook, line and sinker and be falling over themselves to sign him to a $300 million contract for 2013.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Phillies will sign Chipper Jones to a 6 year $100 Million deal too. Amaro doesn't care if he's under contract and ancient.

While it would be sad to see Chipper play for a different team (especially the Phillies), I think I would be fine if this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom