• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
I only adorn my hot dogs with grey poupon

file.php

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Wrigley Field Changes:
During the Cubs Convention Saturday, the team announced a plan to bring to rooftop experience inside Wrigley Field. The area above the right field corner (formerly the Bleacher Box Seats) will be renovated in the coming months to create the Budweiser Patio. With a look reminiscent of the seats on top of the Green Monster in Fenway Park, the section will hold roughly 150 fans, with limited rows of elevated seating. Perhaps the most dramatic part of the renovation is the installation of a giant LED board directly above the right field basket that will display player photographs, expanded stats, and other in-game information.

Here’s ESPN Chicago’s story. The Cubs expect the new section to be finished in time for Opening Day.

And here’s an official sketch of what the new section will look like.

U8kFK.jpg
http://viewfromthebleachers.com/blo...iewFromTheBleachers+(View+From+The+Bleachers)

bryehn

The stands are filled with tourists who aren't actually fans of the team. Reminds me of Tokyo Dome.

If I was in Chicago, I would LOVE to catch a game there, but mostly check out the pizza and sausage and craft beers in town. i have a cubs hat, but yeah you're right i'm not a cubs fan. still, wrigley looks like fun.

Ricketts are already talking shit publicly about Epstein/Hoyer for not getting the Kerry Wood deal done faster.

Supposedly Wood already had a deal with another team and was getting his physical set up until the Cubs came in and got him. That team was either the Reds or Phillies.

Ricketts are already talking shit publicly about Epstein/Hoyer for not getting the Kerry Wood deal done faster.

Supposedly Wood already had a deal with another team and was getting his physical set up until the Cubs came in and got him. That team was either the Reds or Phillies.

Fuck the ricketts, let the man do his job. And who cares about wood? They are rebuilding and getting a guy to come back for a year isn't really a priority. He'll be done by the time they are contending again.

USA Today is reporting Bartolo Colon has agreed to sign with a team, but the team won't announce it officially until he passes his physical.

by the way, Yankee fans should be excited. A-Rod got the same German PED infusion as Kobe Bryant, and Kobe is currently looking 5 years younger. A-Rod and his bitch tits will probably win the MVP this season.

Carlbeego

by the way, Yankee fans should be excited. A-Rod got the same German PED infusion as Kobe Bryant, and Kobe is currently looking 5 years younger. A-Rod and his bitch tits will probably win the MVP this season.

Pujols and his bitch tits will. He gets to smack around Oakland and Seattle.

Fatalah

A-Rod treated his shoulder and knee. Hope it works out, it did for Colon's elbow last year. Tiger Woods had it done on his knee, but he has many aspects of his game to work out still.

Doytch

Stolen from a Buster Olney Insider piece:
"If the Mariners liked Montero so much," asked one official, "why didn't they just trade Cliff Lee for him?" That, of course, would've allowed Seattle to keep Pineda, as part of a young, powerful rotation -- and the Rays have demonstrated, again, that strong starting pitching is this sport's great equalizer. The Mariners' blueprint, before this trade, was to build around Felix Hernandez, Pineda, No. 1 pick Danny Hultzen and other starters going forward.

Another question raised by a rival executive: If the Mariners were going to trade a frontline starter, why not deal the more expensive Felix Hernandez -- who will make $58 million over the next three seasons -- and get Montero as part of a bigger and better package in return?
Which is pretty much how I feel. Trading either Lee or Felix would've made way more sense.

Fenix

The only way I can really make sense of it is if M's scouts are nowhere near as high on Betances & Banuelos as the Yankees are, so they don't believe they'd be getting fair value for 3 years of Felix.

I feel like they'll hold Felix till the trade deadline and get a whack-ton more for him and then let Hultzen, Paxton and whoever else they get from a Felix trade take a couple of years to develop alongside the younger, Ichiro-less offense.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Uh, obviously the answer is that they liked Smoak more. Which we know is a hilarious assessment, but whatever.

clemenx

Banned
M's are not trading Felix ever. M's decisions with Felix are not baseball based at this point, I'm pretty sure about that. And Pineda is not a frontline starter, at least not for 2012. Not that the Yankees or the M's needed him to be one. Hultzen is basically ready and if they feel he's as good as Pineda this trade makes sense.

So no one's even going to talk about how Pineda is a two pitch pitcher? Yanks got fleeced lol

ovverrated. daniel cabrera part two lolol

newjeruse

Uh, obviously the answer is that they liked Smoak more. Which we know is a hilarious assessment, but whatever.
Now, yes. It was reasonable at the time. And they got Blake Beavan, who is in their rotation.

I know Buster Olney beats the Yankees' drum as loudly as any national writer, but he really needs to get over the Cliff Lee non-trade from two years ago. He's never let that go.

Tokyo dome fills up with Giant fans.. Naw I can't co-sign that...

Maybe it's because I'm a Yakult fan, but when you try to compare the inside of Tokyo Dome to the dedication and sincere appreciation you feel in Meiji-Jingu Stadium... It's not comparable. We're life-longs, lol.

Sanjuro

Pineda is in a perfect scenario to succeed in my opinion. He is going to get great run support in New York and has plenty of veterans to surround himself with. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to be absorbed with the "HEY, YOU'RE IN NY. YOU ARE PLAYING IN NY" culture the Francesas of the world believe in. He has a great opportunity to just relax and pitch which not every new member of the Yankees recieves.

If everything goes to shit, he is still only twenty-two and you can always ship him to the Mets.

EDIT: Fuck. Hot Dog and baseball talk makes me hungry for spring.

Which is pretty much how I feel. Trading either Lee or Felix would've made way more sense.
Dude I follow on Twitter had a pretty awesome rant about the trade:
@firejerrymanuel said:
preposterous RT @d_a_cameron Am on board with trading Pineda. Still not in love with Montero. But, better than signing Fielder.
@firejerrymanuel said:
why bother trading pineda if you're the mariners, for montero? who gives a shit if it's a hitter or a pitcher on your shitty roster?
@firejerrymanuel said:
now the mariners will score some more runs, give up more, and still be mediocre
@firejerrymanuel said:
mariners and jack z are totally gutless. either make a move to contend, or sack up and rebuild by trading felix
@firejerrymanuel said:
mariners are just rearranging chairs on the titanic while the better angels/rangers actually add talent to their roster
@firejerrymanuel said:
lol at the sabertariat mariner fans celebrating not signing prince fielder. FUCK GETTING BETTER, THE WARS ARE OUT OF WACK
@firejerrymanuel said:
signing a big name free agent messes up your $/WAR ratio, and that's the most important thing to a team.

Malo

Banned
The Nationals and Gio Gonzalez agreed to a five year extension. It covers all four of his arb years and one season of free agency.

Shit, I would have traded Felix for a package of Baneulos, Betances, Montero and two more prospects. That would improve that system greatly. That's a crazy package. Build around Pineda and Montero for future.

Malo

Banned
Shit, I would have traded Felix for a package of Baneulos, Betances, Montero and two more prospects. That would improve that system greatly. That's a crazy package. Build around Pineda and Montero for future.
If the Mariners said no to that, they aren't trading Felix to anyone. I rather have Pineda and the rest of our prospects than to gut the system for Felix.

evilhomer

Trading Felix makes no sense, and you can build around Felix, Pineda, Hultzen, Paxton, Walker etc. all you want but it makes no difference if you have no offense to score at least a couple runs a game. What difference would it make?

Malo

Banned
Trading Felix makes no sense, and you can build around Felix, Pineda, Hultzen, Paxton, Walker etc. all you want but it makes no difference if you have no offense to score at least a couple runs a game. What difference would it make?
You would still have Montero but now with the yankees best pitching prospects and possibly a couple of positional prospects. Also the Mariners get out of the $60 mil left on Felix's deal which they can then use on on someone like Fielder.

Why, exactly? Not like he is going to contribute to a division winner anytime soon.

clemenx

Banned
Felix is 25 YEARS OLD. All that bs of building for the future applies to him as well. Plus what Cygnus said.

It's crazy how young he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom