• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the Ms know something about Pineda that no one else does. I mean, I don't *hate* the trade, but it just seems bizarre when you hear the packages for Felix being thrown around. Like Doytch says, it's pretty much a lateral move.

evilhomer

You would still have Montero but now with the yankees best pitching prospects and possibly a couple of positional prospects. Also the Mariners get out of the $60 mil left on Felix's deal which they can then use on on someone like Fielder.

The yankees best pitching prospects are nothing compared to the Mariners best.

But the Mariners have to pay him money!

We got lots of money to pay Felix! :D

clemenx

Banned
I think they simply like Hultzen/Walker/Paxton more than Pineda.

I mean, maybe if the package was Montero + another good bat they could have traded Felix. But I can see how the Yankees pitching prospects weren't attractive for the M's.

newjeruse

Maybe the Ms know something about Pineda that no one else does. I mean, I don't *hate* the trade, but it just seems bizarre when you hear the packages for Felix being thrown around. Like Doytch says, it's pretty much a lateral move.
It might be a good move, it might be a bad move. I don't know how it's a lateral move. They have a historically bad offense and they need to take a shot at turning that around. They have proven that they can develop pitchers and they have more coming in the pipeline. They need a true masher and there's no reason to believe any prodigious slugger will ever go there via free agency.

We got lots of money to pay Felix! :D
That is true, he's making ~$19m per the next three years.
I think they simply like Hultzen/Walker/Paxton more than Pineda.

I mean, maybe if the package was Montero + another good bat they could have traded Felix. But I can see how the Yankees pitching prospects weren't attractive for the M's.
That makes sense. Shit, I remember some people didn't think Pineda would do this well this season.
It might be a good move, it might be a bad move. I don't know how it's a lateral move. They have a historically bad offense and they need to take a shot at turning that around. They have proven that they can develop pitchers and they have more coming in the pipeline. They need a true masher and there's no reason to believe any prodigious slugger will ever go there via free agency.
It just feels like a lateral move in terms of overall talent, although I concede the last point for now. But I feel something like that can change as a team becomes good, despite the dimensions of a stadium. I mean, the Rockies signed Mike Hampton!

Malo

Banned
I don't think Banuelos had a great year at AA, which puts him a step below the M's top guys.
His walk rate was crazy high last season which is something I expect to come down since he's never had that much command issues in the minors before.

But I concede that he might be a step below the M's guys going into this year. I fully expect for him to be back at their level after this season.

So, I just got online and in front of a TV for the first time in like, 48 hours.

I discovered that there was a crazy trade.

I discovered that trade was for JESUS FUCKING MONTERO.

I am in fucking mourning right now.

Granted, the deal is in theory a good - even potentially great - deal for the Yankees. They desperately needed starting pitching, and now they have what could be an excellent rotation of Sabathia/Kuroda/Pineda/Nova and whoever wins the Burnett/Hughes/Garcia derby (losers are longman/bullpen fodder).

Montero had great potential to be an S-rank bat, the kind that sits in that #4 spot and hits 30+ HR and 90+ RBI at about .280 or so for half a decade or more. He also had potential to be the next lynchpin at C and/or DH for the Yankees. However, with a bunch of guys who need to DH for the Yankees (Jeter? Rodriguez? Teixeira?), and a pretty good catcher in Martin holding the fort down for the other potentially S-rank rookie catchers percolating on the farm (Romine, Sanchez), Montero had no real place on the team - so a trade for a great starting arm was a good, if bittersweet, move.

Pineda is a very good young pitcher; he was one of the top ROTY candidates, is tall as hell, has two ++ pitches (so if he can get a third pitch - a changeup, perhaps?) and has great potential to be a #1 or #2 guy.

I hate that Montero didn't land a guaranteed ace, though. We were going to get Cliff Lee straight-up from Seattle for Montero, but they fucked us deliberately to stop our potential 2010 WS title. Now they deal with us, but for less than their top guy? I kinda hate them for that.

When I see Montero launching balls in Seattle, I'm going to be salty as hell. That was my guy. :(

Macattk15

So, I just got online and in front of a TV for the first time in like, 48 hours.

I discovered that there was a crazy trade.

I discovered that trade was for JESUS FUCKING MONTERO.

I am in fucking mourning right now.

Granted, the deal is in theory a good - even potentially great - deal for the Yankees. They desperately needed starting pitching, and now they have what could be an excellent rotation of Sabathia/Kuroda/Pineda/Nova and whoever wins the Burnett/Hughes/Garcia derby (losers are longman/bullpen fodder).

Montero had great potential to be an S-rank bat, the kind that sits in that #4 spot and hits 30+ HR and 90+ RBI at about .280 or so for half a decade or more. He also had potential to be the next lynchpin at C and/or DH for the Yankees. However, with a bunch of guys who need to DH for the Yankees (Jeter? Rodriguez? Teixeira?), and a pretty good catcher in Martin holding the fort down for the other potentially S-rank rookie catchers percolating on the farm (Romine, Sanchez), Montero had no real place on the team - so a trade for a great starting arm was a good, if bittersweet, move.

Pineda is a very good young pitcher; he was one of the top ROTY candidates, is tall as hell, has two ++ pitches (so if he can get a third pitch - a changeup, perhaps?) and has great potential to be a #1 or #2 guy.

I hate that Montero didn't land a guaranteed ace, though. We were going to get Cliff Lee straight-up from Seattle for Montero, but they fucked us deliberately to stop our potential 2010 WS title. Now they deal with us, but for less than their top guy? I kinda hate them for that.

When I see Montero launching balls in Seattle, I'm going to be salty as hell. That was my guy. :(

I laughed. So salty. STILL.

Macattk15

I'll never forgive you bastards for that.

The Council will never forgive you!

Why can't we just be friends :(

If Pineda's arm holds up ... he is quite nasty ... even with 2 pitches. He has a 3rd as you mentioned, a change-up, which has showed flashes of awesomeness ... he's just not consistent with it at all. If he can get that working so he has a weapon against lefties who he struggles against ... definite #1.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
KuGsj.gif
@ Title change.

Pollux

So, I've been EXTREMELY out of the loop for the last few months. Could anyone give a brief rundown on how the Reds are looking for this coming season, and if not point me in the right direction of a website that could tell me these things (and the same things about other teams as well)? Thanks guys.

jakncoke

Banned
Something sad i just randomly thought of when we dont make .500 this season and more than likely the season after. If someone was born when our futility streak began they'd be able to drink legally :/

eznark

Banned
Niners - Ravens

I for one would love a repeat of the BCS title game!

Also, I'm flattered that you all have me so top of mind. A whole thread title for me! woot woot!!

eznark

Banned
what did you do? cry in the corner? go on a marathon playing streak of old republic?

Nah. My folks were in town and my dad and I have been working on shelving, a toy chest and an awesome black board for my daughter. After the game ended we trudged to the basement to finish it up. You can't win every championship, number 14 will have to wait til next year. You can't really be too upset when you flat get outclassed in every aspect of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom