• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the Truman show, and the NFL exists as a cruel practical joke on me. Shit, MLB ain't too much better, but I do kinda remember 1990.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Got done watching Moneyball. Still sad the As were never able to get further in the playoffs during those years. And sad about how we screwed ourselves with Zito -.-'''''''''

Jon

It's that time for Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza!

I hope you all had a great weekend, even you Eznark. Today's trivia question comes from the weekend page of the calendar, because Monday's page contains just a factoid, which will also be listed below. Here we go.

Match the players with their nicknames:

1) Early Wynn
2) Greg Maddux
3) Charles Augustus Nichols
4) Jimmy Wynn

The nicknames:

A) Mad Dog
B) Kid
C) Gus
D) The Toy Cannon

*Did you know*: On January 9, 1980, Al Kaline and Duke Snider were elected to the Hall of Fame. Kaline was inducted immediately, but Snider waited a startling 11 years to be inducted. In 1970, his first year of eligibility, he received just 17% of the vote. Snider hit 40 or more homers in five consecutive seasons, 1953 through 1957, and led the 1950s in home runs, topping Mays, Mantle, and Aaron. He twice hit four home runs in a World Series, including the 1955 Fall Classic when he led the Dodgers to their first World Championship.

RBH

I hope you all had a great weekend, even you Eznark. Today's trivia question comes from the weekend page of the calendar, because Monday's page contains just a factoid, which will also be listed below. Here we go.

1) Early Wynn
2) Greg Maddux
4) Jimmy Wynn

The nicknames:

A) Mad Dog
B) Kid
C) Gus
D) The Toy Cannon

*Did you know*: On January 9, 1980, Al Kaline and Duke Snider were elected to the Hall of Fame. Kaline was inducted immediately, but Snider waited a startling 11 years to be inducted. In 1970, his first year of eligibility, he received just 17% of the vote. Snider hit 40 or more homers in five consecutive seasons, 1953 through 1957, and led the 1950s in home runs, topping Mays, Mantle, and Aaron. He twice hit four home runs in a World Series, including the 1955 Fall Classic when he led the Dodgers to their first World Championship.

1 - B
2 - A
3 - C
4 - D

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

1) Early Wynn
2) Greg Maddux
4) Jimmy Wynn

The nicknames:

A) Mad Dog
B) Kid
C) Gus
D) The Toy Cannon

Maddux - Mad Dog
Charles Augustus Nichols - The Toy Cannon?
Jimmy Wynn - Kid?
Early Wynn - Gus?

h3ro

Windu, new throwback Bravos alts:

b7L1I.png

http://www.sportslogos.net/blog/2012/01/15/braves-new-2012-throwback-alt-leaked/

Not bad at all. It's been a great off season for Uniform upgrades and additions! Except for the Padres anyway, which was kind of a lateral/backward move.

Canada still wins though.

h3ro

v3LFR.gif

Braves alternate isn't really bad, just I thought could have done more with a unique logo from the originals.

Yeah, just realized they also copied/mimicked the Blackhawks hatchet logo for their shoulder patch. Looks very similar.

sEGT6s.gif

Anyone else really like the cream colored whites lots of teams are using now for their throwbacks? I'm a fan. Wish some teams would use them as their primary home unis, such as the Twins, maybe even the Mess.

1) Early Wynn
2) Greg Maddux
4) Jimmy Wynn

The nicknames:

A) Mad Dog
B) Kid
C) Gus
D) The Toy Cannon
shit, i'm guessing with the Wynns
1-D
2-A
3-B
4-C

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Wish some teams would use them as their primary home unis, such as the Twins, maybe even the Mess.
I loved that the Twins did this last year in honor of Killebrew. I like the throwbacks a lot more than the 80s styled normal home uniforms. And I like the road unis a hell of a lot more than the home unis.

We need to sign another guy like Bartolo that can eat innings until our starters comeback. Brah is keeping at the top of the Opening Day rotation with McCarthy.

Hey, you're right! And that part is from the Royals logo itself. Our jumbo tron even has that on top. No wonder Royals fans can stay happy after 25 losing seasons!

You remember that newspaper cover that you posted before the start of last season? I think it was a picture of a crop field. I think it said it something about the team still growing but close to break, this is the year man! Where was that pic from?

Oh yeah! That's awesome that you remember that! It was the opening day, special section of the KC Star.

1e517000.jpg

Yeah, maybe this IS the year! "Project 2012" has been the buzzword for a while, and now that it's here... maybe The pitching rotation still has problems, but Jonathan Sanchez will help, and I think every other aspect of the team can compete, especially in the AL Central.

It's only six weeks until spring training games start, I can't wait!

Jon

Answer time!

Early Winn - Gus
Greg Maddux - Mad Dog
Charles Augustus Nichols - Kid
Jimmy Winn - The Toy Cannon

1) C
2) A
3) B
4) D

Congrats to Sanjuro today, and I'll catch you guys tomorrow.

eznark

Banned
Love the Nyjer contract. As long as he is played in a straight platoon, I love it. It also gives them options to replace the cheater. Also sounds like Hart is going to be asked to play some first base which has me wondering if Melvin thinks they'll actually come to terms with Aoki

h3ro

That looks mighty fine. Hideous red unis are gone?
Sand-colored pants to match, or just with standard whites?
Tomahawk hats still?

I need details!

From the link in the post you quoted:
The Atlanta Braves were planning on unveiling this jersey later this month, it is not replacing any of the alternate jerseys from the 2011 season – this jersey is being added to the rotation from last season.

So the red alt remains. Of course the pants will match these jerseys, just like every other team that has a cream colored throwback alt.

Thanks. I did read some of it, but didn't make it that far down.

Red unis need to go, although I do like the blue ones on occasion. I imagine they will have to go with a different cap, probably just the standard home, but I think they would look sharp with the solid navy road one with the new cream alts. I don't know how they would look with the tomahawk alt cap.

Saying I love you
Is not the words I want to hear from you
It's not that I want you
Not to say, but if you only knew how easy
It would be to show me how you feel

Talon

Jesus, how many uniforms do we have now?

Home whites, road greys, blues, reds, and alternate throwback.

Wasn't that long ago that we only had whites and greys. I think the (hideous) red first came in 2006, right?

Jesus, how many uniforms do we have now?

Home whites, road greys, blues, reds, and alternate throwback.

Wasn't that long ago that we only had whites and greys. I think the (hideous) red first came in 2006, right?

The red Sunday home alternates started in 2005. The dark blue road alternates started in 2008.

Tuesday at 12pm ET is the deadline for teams to exchange salary arbitration figures with their players. Monday had a few settlements.

-- The Angels and Alberto Callaspo avoided arbitration with a $3.15 million deal. Callaspo made $2 million in 2011.

-- The Tigers and Phil Coke avoided arbitration with a $1.1 million deal. Coke made $440k in 2011.

-- The Yankees and Phil Hughes avoided arbitration with a $3.2 million deal. Hughes made $2.7 million in 2011.

-- The Orioles and Darren O'Day avoided arbitration with a $1.35 million deal. O'Day made $1.251 million in 2011. Also, the Orioles and Jim Johnson avoided arbitration with a $2.625 million deal. Johnson made $975k in 2011.

-- The Royals and Brayan Pena avoided arbitration with an $875k deal. Pena made $660k in 2011. Also, the Royals and Chris Getz avoided arbitration with a $967.5k deal. Getz made $443k in 2011.

-- The Brewers and Nyjer Morgan avoided arbitration with a $2.35 million deal. Morgan made $450k in 2011.

-- The Nationals and Jesus Flores avoided arbitration with an $815k deal. Flores made $750k in 2011.

-- The Rays and J.P. Howell avoided arbitration with a $1.35 million deal. Howell made $1.1 million in 2011.

-- The Red Sox and Franklin Morales avoided arbitration with an $850k deal. Morales made $424k in 2011.

-- The Braves and Eric O'Flaherty avoided arbitration with a $2.39 million deal. O'Flaherty made $895k in 2011.

eznark

Banned
Craig Counsell is back with the Brewers and I could not be happier for him. Thrilled to have him back. He'll be a huge contributor in his new role, I'm guessing.

I turned in my resume to potentially take a job with the Royals as the annoying dick on the jumbotron who interviews people and gives out seat upgrades and stuff. I think I have a shot at it, since I've been the host/MC/Play by Play guy for the KC roller derby team for the past eight years. But, I only found out about the opening a day before applications were due, so I may have been too late. Still, they seem to switch people on that job every year or two, so maybe I'm just planting a seed this year.

To be honest, I'd rather be the stadium announcer. But I figure it'd be a good way to get a foot in the door, then swear to them that if the regular PA guy ever wants a day off, I can cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom