• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
I turned in my resume to potentially take a job with the Royals as the annoying dick on the jumbotron who interviews people and gives out seat upgrades and stuff. I think I have a shot at it, since I've been the host/MC/Play by Play guy for the KC roller derby team for the past eight years. But, I only found out about the opening a day before applications were due, so I may have been too late. Still, they seem to switch people on that job every year or two, so maybe I'm just planting a seed this year.

To be honest, I'd rather be the stadium announcer. But I figure it'd be a good way to get a foot in the door, then swear to them that if the regular PA guy ever wants a day off, I can cover it.

Huh, I think every stadium I have been to has had local radio or tv people do that. Cool, good luck!!

Jon

That sounds really cool Duane, good luck man!

And now, it's time for today's Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza

Question...6?

Who among these great relief pitchers won the most Rolaids Relief Man Awards?

A) Trevor Hoffman
B) Bruce Sutter
C) Mariano Rivera
D) Dan Quisenberry

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the Quiz.

Huh, I think every stadium I have been to has had local radio or tv people do that. Cool, good luck!!

The wacky in-game MC, or the PA Announcer? Yeah, the PA guy that has been on the job forever here is like a local voiceover staple on a ton of radio commercials. To be honest, though, I'm trying break in to that, too. The crazy MC person we last had is a local stage actor.

Sanjuro

Question...6?

A) Trevor Hoffman
B) Bruce Sutter
C) Mariano Rivera
D) Dan Quisenberry

Gotta go to Mo's.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'd guess it's someone older because there were less relievers so less competition for the award. So that rules out Rivera or Hoffman. I'll go with Quis because he was on some decent teams and the award is based off who has the most saves and sutter was on the braves so he probably got like one save chance the entire time.

I do wonder, though, if part of Quisenberry's career might have preceded the award? I'm not positive when either started, but I'm sure they were both in the 70's.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jesus, how many uniforms do we have now?

Home whites, road greys, blues, reds, and alternate throwback.

Wasn't that long ago that we only had whites and greys. I think the (hideous) red first came in 2006, right?
there is also the occasional 80s throwback uniform day as well.

ZeroRay

Question...6?

A) Trevor Hoffman
B) Bruce Sutter
C) Mariano Rivera
D) Dan Quisenberry

C

The Jays had some random nobody doing it for a few years but they got rid of him.

Thank god.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the Quiz.

The wacky in-game MC, or the PA Announcer? Yeah, the PA guy that has been on the job forever here is like a local voiceover staple on a ton of radio commercials. To be honest, though, I'm trying break in to that, too. The crazy MC person we last had is a local stage actor.

Good luck.

Mets signed Pelfrey to a 5.5 million dollar deal.

2012 WS- Here we come.

FUCK

YES

CHAMPIONSHIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

j9lis4_medium.gif

j9lis4_medium.gif

j9lis4_medium.gif

RBH

Question...6?

A) Trevor Hoffman
B) Bruce Sutter
C) Mariano Rivera
D) Dan Quisenberry

C

eznark

Banned
bizarre, Brewers reached a one year deal with KRod thus avoiding arb. Did not think that was possible.

HOLY SHIT, it's only worth $8 million! Doug Melvin for President!

eznark

Banned
It's a Christmas miracle!

No shit! So now the Brewers have a much more reasonable $9 million in their 8th and 9th guys. Still a lot but not as absurd as I thought it would look. It also gives me hope that KRod is going to be a good dude til the trading deadline. I have to assume that was the thinking here. Take a small cut to make him more attractive at the trade deadline, when he can work out a long term deal with a team under duress.

cashman

Banned

Question...6?

A) Trevor Hoffman
B) Bruce Sutter
C) Mariano Rivera
D) Dan Quisenberry

A: Hoffman

Maxim726X

No shit! So now the Brewers have a much more reasonable $9 million in their 8th and 9th guys. Still a lot but not as absurd as I thought it would look. It also gives me hope that KRod is going to be a good dude til the trading deadline. I have to assume that was the thinking here. Take a small cut to make him more attractive at the trade deadline, when he can work out a long term deal with a team under duress.

He should have taken the guaranteed money.

He's going to get a nice contract regardless. Well, good for the Brewers..

eznark

Banned
He should have taken the guaranteed money.

He's going to get a nice contract regardless. Well, good for the Brewers..

Look at the closer contracts this year though, it killed a lot of his value. If he went to arb, he might well have gotten less than $8. Maybe more, but not $14 million for sure.

rekameohs

Banned
I'll say A) Trevor Hoffman, since Mo was more consistent over a longer period of time, but Hoffman had some extremely dominant years with some injuries.

Malo

Banned

Question...6?

A) Trevor Hoffman
B) Bruce Sutter
C) Mariano Rivera
D) Dan Quisenberry
A) Trevor Hoffman.

Madtown_

bizarre, Brewers reached a one year deal with KRod thus avoiding arb. Did not think that was possible.

HOLY SHIT, it's only worth $8 million! Doug Melvin for President!
Wow, that's some good news. Doug is doing a pretty good job right now with the cards he's being dealt, imo.

The Aoki sign/no-sign is happening today I think, also.

Question...6?

A) Trevor Hoffman
B) Bruce Sutter
C) Mariano Rivera
D) Dan Quisenberry

I almost said B, but I'm locking in A as my final answer.

BFIB

Awesome.

I've always liked Counsell.

Are the Brewers done at this point? Or since K-Rod signed a little below market value, do they have enough for one more move?

eznark

Banned
Awesome.

I've always liked Counsell.

Are the Brewers done at this point? Or since K-Rod signed a little below market value, do they have enough for one more move?

Melvin just said they are close with Aoki. They have what, two hours to get that done?

rekameohs

Banned
How the hell did K-Rod agree to something that low? Is there something else in that offering?

I also love Counsell. He's a class act. 2001 NLCS MVP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom