• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madtown_

I'm not sure on the birthday former player.

It's that time again, Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza!

Question 7:

Which non-expansion team holds the record for most consecutive years without reaching a World Series?

(Do I really need to list the choices? :-/)

A) Cleveland Indians
B) Chicago Cubs
C) St. Louis Browns
D) Chicago White Sox

Good luck!

Cubs. (No, I don't think you did)

eznark

Banned
Bonus trivia today, since the real question is so fucking stupid:

Today is a former baseball player's birthday, guess him from these five clues!

1) Played in the NL his entire career, which started in the 1990s.
2) Former All-Star.
3) Has had three home runs in one game.
4) Had a pretty bad knee injury that cemented a decline in his career.
5) Was a Dodger fan growing up.

Eh, at first I thought you were being a dick and that it was Shawn Greene's birthday...then I remembered it was 4 home runs that bastard hit against us, and he was a Blue Jay.

Also, the Cubs

2) Former All-Star.

I'm going to guess Oh, Henry! Rodriguez even though I'm unsure he meets any of the criteria hehe

2) Former All-Star.

Olliver Perez

RBH

Question 7:

Which non-expansion team holds the record for most consecutive years without reaching a World Series?

A) Cleveland Indians
B) Chicago Cubs
C) St. Louis Browns
D) Chicago White Sox

Good luck!
Cubs.

2) Former All-Star.
Hm. Gonna have to think about this one.

2) Former All-Star.

Lieberthal?

Jangocube

Banned
Washington.

Would probably be my guess as well.

Depends on Darvish

I see why the Rangers could use him (Mitch Mooreland is meh) but I don't know, their offense is sick as is. But if they got the money for it, why not.

I know it won't happen, but with Victor Martinez going out, wouldn't it be sick if he was on Detroit? Miggy C and Prince back to back? I know they can't do it, and shouldn't, but it would be fucking fun to see. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Vlad went to Detroit on a 1 year deal if the Yankees don't sign him.

If Darvish somehow doesn't sign: Rangers
If Darvish signs: Washington... I hope.

Does Texas really have the cash to burn like this where they will spend it no matter what? I guess there isn't much pitching left outside of someone like Edwin Jackson, but I just see their rotation as much much weaker then their offense. If someone like Fielder is out there though and you have the cash to spend then I guess I can't blame them.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I know it won't happen, but with Victor Martinez going out, wouldn't it be sick if he was on Detroit? Miggy C and Prince back to back? I know they can't do it, and shouldn't, but it would be fucking fun to see. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Vlad went to Detroit on a 1 year deal if the Yankees don't sign him.
The idea of Prince on the Tigers makes me want to throw up. But I assume if that happened, it'd be pretty hilarious in a couple of years when they were bogged down with all bat, no glove corner players.

Still, don't want to see it happen period.

Also: the Jack Cust signing has me hopeful the Asstros will let Mark Appel fall to the Twins. PLEASE.

McNei1y

It would be pretty insane to have Miggy/Prince in the same lineup. If they didn't have V-Mart it would make sense. No way I see Prince accepting a 1 year deal.

Does Texas really have the cash to burn like this where they will spend it no matter what? I guess there isn't much pitching left outside of someone like Edwin Jackson, but I just see their rotation as much much weaker then their offense. If someone like Fielder is out there though and you have the cash to spend then I guess I can't blame them.

I have no doubt in my mind that they sign Darvish. It is what they set out to do and its what they need. They have the money to do both but we keep seeing that there is no way they would sign both Prince and Darvish.

If there was some disagreement between the two sides, though, then I can see them throwing the money towards Prince just to increase their offense. It would be a grand gesture to have this year be based solely on the offense with Hamilton playing his contract year. That way next year they can plan accordingly to go either pitching / CF target. Plus, I don't see why they can't sign Oswalt on a 1 year deal as well. I mean Hamilton, Prince, Napoli, Kinsler, Beltre, and Cruz sounds pretty damn good.

Jangocube

Banned
The idea of Prince on the Tigers makes me want to throw up. But I assume if that happened, it'd be pretty hilarious in a couple of years when they were bogged down with all bat, no glove corner players.

Still, don't want to see it happen period.

Also: the Jack Cust signing has me hopeful the Asstros will let Mark Appel fall to the Twins. PLEASE.

The two most unfit, very successful players hitting back to back would be amazing and hilarious all at the same time! I know it won't happen, and it shouldn't. Just me and my other fantasy baseball dork friends were discussing some possibilities for Prince and this one came up.

I think the most disappointing place he could end up, well from someone who likes Prince, is Seattle. I know they were in the running for a while, but that would be the least exciting situation for him that I could see happening.

I have no doubt in my mind that they sign Darvish. It is what they set out to do and its what they need. They have the money to do both but we keep seeing that there is no way they would sign both Prince and Darvish.

If there was some disagreement between the two sides, though, then I can see them throwing the money towards Prince just to increase their offense. It would be a grand gesture to have this year be based solely on the offense with Hamilton playing his contract year. That way next year they can plan accordingly to go either pitching / CF target. Plus, I don't see why they can't sign Oswalt on a 1 year deal as well. I mean Hamilton, Prince, Napoli, Kinsler, Beltre, and Cruz sounds pretty damn good.

That lineup would just be unfair and such a thing shouldn't be allowed in the American League.

Btw, this post is the devil.

I think Prince is going to try to do a 1 year deal and retry free agency.

It's not an ideal market for him to get what he wants money-wise, and too many teams are in a good place long-term at 1B and/or DH for him to have a perfect landing spot.

Jangocube

Banned
I think Prince is going to try to do a 1 year deal and retry free agency.

It's not an ideal market for him to get what he wants money-wise, and too many teams are in a good place long-term at 1B and/or DH for him to have a perfect landing spot.

Without really looking into it, I think this year is just as good as next year. Most big spending teams already have a 1st baseman locked up long term don't they? Boston, Yankees, Phillies, Angels, and Detroit already do. Other teams that don't have one signed long term don't really have a 1st baseman hitting the market next year, at least none that I can recall.

He would be the top hitter next year if he did that, but it looks like the same teams would be competing over him. But he might be able to get more if people were somehow more flexible next year. Oh, and most teams don't spend big bucks on a long term DH. Actually, has a team ever went 3+ years on a big free agent that would strictly play DH? I can't think of any really...

Malo

Banned

Question 7:

A) Cleveland Indians
B) Chicago Cubs
C) St. Louis Browns
D) Chicago White Sox

Good luck!
Los cubs.

Jangocube

Banned
Team Payroll
  1. N.Y. Yankees $201,689,030
  2. Philadelphia 172,976,381
  3. Boston 161,407,476
  4. Los Angeles Angels 138,998,524
  5. Chicago White Sox 129,285,539
  6. Chicago Cubs 125,480,664
  7. New York Mets 120,147,310
  8. San Francisco 118,216,333
  9. Minnesota 112,737,000
  10. Detroit 105,705,232
  11. St. Louis 105,433,572
  12. Los Angeles Dodgers 103,788,990
  13. Texas 92,299,265
  14. Colorado 87,998,071
  15. Atlanta 87,003,192
  16. Seattle 86,424,600
  17. Milwaukee 85,497,333
  18. Baltimore 85,304,038
  19. Cincinnati 76,181,365
  20. Houston 70,694,000
  21. Oakland 66,536,500
  22. Washington 63,681,929
  23. Toronto 62,517,800
  24. Florida 56,944,000
  25. Arizona 53,639,833
  26. Cleveland 49,188,867
  27. Pittsburgh 46,047,000
  28. San Diego 45,869,140
  29. Tampa Bay 41,932,171
  30. Kansas City 36,126,400

Teams that have a quality 1st baseman for 2012 and 2013 are bolded. I don't see any quality 1st baseman hitting the market in 2013 anyways besides Berkman, if you want to call him that at his age.

Most teams are in the same situation at 1st in 2012 that they are in for 2013. I know budgets change and trades happen, but it looks like it will be the same teams now as it will be next year.

Oh, and

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com was told by a source that the Rangers and Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish are now "close" to reaching a deal.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reported early Wednesday morning that the Rangers' optimism had "waned" a bit, but things are looking up as the 5 p.m. ET approaches. Previous reports have indicated that the Rangers' would prefer a six-year contract while Darvish is aiming for a shorter five-year deal. In the unlikely event that the two sides do not reach an agreement, the Rangers would not have to pay the $51,703,411 posting fee.

Question 7:

A) Cleveland Indians
B) Chicago Cubs
C) St. Louis Browns
D) Chicago White Sox

Good luck!
lol cubs

I have no fucking clue for the mystery player.

Team Payroll
  1. N.Y. Yankees $201,689,030
  2. Philadelphia 172,976,381
  3. Boston 161,407,476
  4. Los Angeles Angels 138,998,524
  5. Chicago White Sox 129,285,539
  6. Chicago Cubs 125,480,664
  7. New York Mets 120,147,310
  8. San Francisco 118,216,333
  9. Minnesota 112,737,000
  10. Detroit 105,705,232
  11. St. Louis 105,433,572
  12. Los Angeles Dodgers 103,788,990
  13. Texas 92,299,265
  14. Colorado 87,998,071
  15. Atlanta 87,003,192
  16. Seattle 86,424,600
  17. Milwaukee 85,497,333
  18. Baltimore 85,304,038
  19. Cincinnati 76,181,365
  20. Houston 70,694,000
  21. Oakland 66,536,500
  22. Washington 63,681,929
  23. Toronto 62,517,800
  24. Florida 56,944,000
  25. Arizona 53,639,833
  26. Cleveland 49,188,867
  27. Pittsburgh 46,047,000
  28. San Diego 45,869,140
  29. Tampa Bay 41,932,171
  30. Kansas City 36,126,400

Teams that have a quality 1st baseman for 2012 and 2013 are bolded. I don't see any quality 1st baseman hitting the market in 2013 anyways besides Berkman, if you want to call him that at his age.

Most teams are in the same situation at 1st in 2012 that they are in for 2013. I know budgets change and trades happen, but it looks like it will be the same teams now as it will be next year.

Oh, and

Freddie Freeman's not a quality first baseman?

21 home runs and hitting .282 in a rookie year is average? Alright.

If you bold Freeman, you have to bold Ike.

Please be fully healthy, Ike. :(

Also, this is a hilarious comment from Dave Cameron a year and a half ago.

http://www.ussmariner.com/2010/06/14/trading-cliff-lee/

Comment on June 15th, 2010 8:16 am

"Yeah, let’s limit ourselves to making just one deal for a guy who is going to be a DH and is overrated."

The Rangers and Yu Darvish have agreed to a 6-year deal, likely around $55 million. They are finishing it up now.

This probably eliminates them from Prince Fielder.

eznark

Banned
No one gets more zeroes than BYK
The Nexen Heroes of the Korea Baseball Organization announced that they have inked the right-handed submariner to a one-year deal worth 500 million won ($436,870), with a club option for 100 million won. The team also gave him 1 billion won as a signing bonus.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Rangers and Yu Darvish have agreed to a 6-year deal, likely around $55 million. They are finishing it up now.

They have crazy money coming in from their TV deal. I could see them signing Fielder instead of extending Hamilton. That's what I'd do anyway.

bluemax

Banned
ESPN announces the first two months of Sunday Night Baseball:

April 8 ChiSox at Rangers
April 15 Angels at Yankees
April 22 Yankees at Red Sox
April 29 Rays at Rangers
May 6 Phillies at Nationals
May 13 Angels at Rangers
May 20 Cardinals at Dodgers
May 27 Nationals at Braves
June 3-July 1 TBD
July 8 Yankees at Red Sox
July 15 Cardinals at Reds
July 22-Sept. 23 TBD

I'm thinking ESPN doesn't see either Central division as being all that good.

Yankees 3 times
Rangers 3 times
Red Sox 2 times
Angels 2 times
Cardinals 2 times
White Sox 1 time
Rays 1 time
Reds 1 time
Dodgers 1 time
Phillies 1 time
Nationals 1 time

AL East 7 times
AL Central 1 time
AL West 5 times

NL East 2 times
NL Central 3 times
NL West 1 time

So actually they hate the AL Central and the NL West.

eznark

Banned
ESPN announces the first two months of Sunday Night Baseball:

April 8 ChiSox at Rangers
April 15 Angels at Yankees
April 22 Yankees at Red Sox
April 29 Rays at Rangers
May 6 Phillies at Nationals
May 13 Angels at Rangers
May 20 Cardinals at Dodgers
May 27 Nationals at Braves
June 3-July 1 TBD
July 8 Yankees at Red Sox
July 15 Cardinals at Reds
July 22-Sept. 23 TBD

I'm thinking ESPN doesn't see either Central division as being all that good.

Fuck yes!

cashman

Banned

I haven't seen an actual money figure yet. It looks like they're going to haggle the price until the deadline. Expect something in the 10-12 mill range per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom