• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

I hate ESPN telecasts. I'd rather listen to Waldman.

Also, ESPN/ABC continue to have the crappiest HD feed possible.

I haven't seen an actual money figure yet. It looks like they're going to haggle the price until the deadline. Expect something in the 10-12 mill range per year.

The only thing I've seen is that it is "slightly higher" than what Matsuzaka got in 2007. Dice-K got $52 million, so I'm going with $55-$60 million.

Doytch

You people are little bitches. I'm the first to diss on ESPN, but that's a decent enough lineup. And Francona+Orel? Yes pls.

Ruben Amaro was on Jim Bowden's radio show today. He said the current plan is for Ty Wigginton to play first base while Ryan Howard is out. Amaro said that Jim Thome would get at least one start a week at 1B. "Our trainers have checked Jim out, and he's probably in better shape now than he was when we originally signed him in 2002."

They are currently going forward thinking that they will definitely not have Howard in April. They are hopeful to get him back in May, but the solid money is June.

ESPN put a little article up on MLB 2K12. Any reason to think it'll be better than The Show this year?

EDIT: lol, what am I saying, of course not:

18524.jpg

Amaro also said that they are going to use a John Mayberry Jr./Laynce Nix platoon in left field unless Domonic Brown "really wows us" in spring training.

Is Yu signing or not?

Everyone's said there is an agreement in place. They are likely going to haggle on money until the last minute.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
/cheers only one espn game for the braves on Sunday night the first half. I feel sorry for yankee, red sox fans etc..

Jon

Answer time!

Derp, the answer was the Cubs.

Now major kudos go out to McBlack for guessing Mike Lieberthal on my own made up trivia question--he is CORRECT. I didn't want to say he played with one team for the majority of his career, or limit it to the NL East. Kudos, McBlack.

Catch you guys tomorrow, hopefully with a better question, but hey that's the way it goes when you've got a page-a-day calendar.

Looks like the Cards don't play the Angels this year. Guess we'll have to see them at the WS!... or, at least, we can see Pujols at the All-Star game (but my money is on him being injured and not playing).

Jangocube

Banned
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers would be interested in signing free agent first baseman Prince Fielder to a "shorter-term" deal.
Fielder's agent, Scott Boras, is said to be looking for something close to the 10-year, $240 million contract that Albert Pujols signed in December with the Angels. But the Rangers won't go to 10 years for Fielder, and probably wouldn't go higher than six. They're a darkhorse candidate at this time for the 27-year-old free agent slugger.

Come on Texas, stay away!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
ESPN announces the first two months of Sunday Night Baseball:

April 8 ChiSox at Rangers
April 15 Angels at Yankees
April 22 Yankees at Red Sox
April 29 Rays at Rangers
May 6 Phillies at Nationals
May 13 Angels at Rangers
May 20 Cardinals at Dodgers
May 27 Nationals at Braves
June 3-July 1 TBD
July 8 Yankees at Red Sox
July 15 Cardinals at Reds
July 22-Sept. 23 TBD

I'm thinking ESPN doesn't see either Central division as being all that good.

Yankees 3 times
Rangers 3 times
Red Sox 2 times
Angels 2 times
Cardinals 2 times
White Sox 1 time
Rays 1 time
Reds 1 time
Dodgers 1 time
Phillies 1 time
Nationals 1 time

AL East 7 times
AL Central 1 time
AL West 5 times

NL East 2 times
NL Central 3 times
NL West 1 time

So actually they hate the AL Central and the NL West.

wtf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

McNei1y

ESPN put a little article up on MLB 2K12. Any reason to think it'll be better than The Show this year?

EDIT: lol, what am I saying, of course not:

18524.jpg

Oh damn don't remind me that such a game exists. I am going to be forced into buying it this year but I'm not going to like it. They expect such small features will be a big improvement in the game but it wont. That game is FUBAR. I really hope EA takes up on their chances and begins reviving the MVP series for next year.

Edit: Not sure how accurate this article is but Miami may be the team in this season's Franchise:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118048807.html?cmpid=RSS

Yu Darvish's deal is a 6-year, $56 million deal. $4 million worth of incentives in regards to awards. Darvish may opt out after the 5th year.

Mariners have signed Oliver Perez to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.

Orioles have signed Armando Galarraga to the same deal.

Now major kudos go out to McBlack for guessing Mike Lieberthal on my own made up trivia question--he is CORRECT. I didn't want to say he played with one team for the majority of his career, or limit it to the NL East. Kudos, McBlack.

Shout-outs to everyone who upholds CONDIMENT LAW™; they gave me the strength to get this question right.

Shout-outs to catchers that can hit; they are one of the true weapons in a balanced MLB offensive attack.

Shout-out to Yu Darvish, who's about to stunt on the AL West hardbody...and sans gyroball or other mythical unicorn pitches, no less!

wow, ollie perez is employed? in baseball?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

i'll never forget watching the last game he ever pitched for the mets...just awash in his failure.

Won't Darvish being on the Rangers get them a boat load of revenue from the Japanese market? That, along with being contenders and getting that TV deal should definitely make up for the price they paid to get him. And I'd love for the Rangers to try to get Fielder, but that's not really a necessity like getting a pitcher was.

Edit: Thanks for the catch Yoda. Still in Mavs mode.

Won't Darvish being on the Rangers get them a boat load of revenue from the Japanese market? That, along with being world champs and getting that TV deal should definitely make up for the price they paid to get him. And I'd love for the Rangers to try to get Fielder, but that's not really a necessity like getting a pitcher was.
???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom