• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

"I'm going to look like Dolph Lundgren," Pedroia said. "I'm ready. I'm back."

rockyiv.gif

There are now eight managers in MLB who will be older when the season starts than lefty Jamie Moyer, who could potentially be pitching in the big leagues for the Rockies (a team that was still seven seasons away from existing when Moyer made his MLB debut in 1986) this season at age 49.

Fredi Gonzalez (Braves), 48
Ozzie Guillen (Marlins), 48
Dale Sveum (Cubs), 48
Joe Girardi (Yankees), 47
Robin Ventura (White Sox), 44
Eric Wedge (Mariners), 44
Manny Acta (Indians), 43
Mike Matheny (Cardinals), 41

Moyer missed the entire 2011 season after having Tommy John surgery in November 2010 caused by an injury to his left elbow while pitching in the Dominican winter league. Moyer always said retirement wasn't on his mind and always intended to return in 2012.

If Moyer makes the Rockies, he will be just the tenth player and fourth pitcher in MLB history to play in a big league game at age 49. The last player to do it was first baseman Julio Franco, who played for the Braves at age 49 in 2007. The last pitcher to do it was Hoyt Wilhelm, who pitched for the Dodgers in 1972 at age 49.

Moyer is the second oldest pitcher to start a World Series game, starting for the Phillies in Game 3 of the 2008 World Series at age 45 against the Tampa Bay Rays. Moyer threw 6.1 strong innings, getting a no-decision as the Phillies went on to win 5-4. It was Moyer's only World Series start in his career.

clemenx

Banned
LOL, Fausto Carmona arrested in DR for faking identity, real name is "Roberto Hernandez" what a boring name.

I wonder how many Leo Nunez's cases are in the bigs :O

Ouch. Carmona gets busted for a fake identity right when The Show's cutoff for player data is. Also, his name is Roberto Heredia, not Roberto Hernandez. Hernandez is his middle name.

And Prince Fielder is going to be wearing a fucking generic MLB hat in that game. :lol

ToxicAdam

Ed Muijica (on why a player lies about his age):

“At 17 years old, you maybe lose $100,000 or $150,000 when you sign [compared to a 16-year-old with the same skills]. And if you’re like 18, you might sign for $5,000 and maybe they give you an opportunity.”

That's an insane incentive to lie your ass off when you live in severe poverty.

Damn Carmona! Miguel Tejada never got caught, not yet anyways. Supposedly, Miguel is using his dead brothers papers. His brother was a few years younger than him. Alot of older kids resort to this so scouts can actually look at them and ge more cash.

Parch

That phony age stuff is unfair. Mega bucks spent on long term potential and these players are lying about their age. An owner should have the right to void a contract if a player has falsified info.

jakncoke

Banned
Ed Muijica (on why a player lies about his age):

“At 17 years old, you maybe lose $100,000 or $150,000 when you sign [compared to a 16-year-old with the same skills]. And if you’re like 18, you might sign for $5,000 and maybe they give you an opportunity.”

That's an insane incentive to lie your ass off when you live in severe poverty.

Pretty much

hemtae

That phony age stuff is unfair. Mega bucks spent on long term potential and these players are lying about their age. An owner should have the right to void a contract if a player has falsified info.

Well the megabucks are the reason players are lying in the first place. And I think they can void a contract.

clemenx

Banned
I think the "18 is too old" culture that there is for MLB in Latin America is really lame... I understand why the teams want to have absolute control from early ages with their development but I don't think the differences in bonus make sense.

verbum

And if the 2012 Braves do come north in April with this roster, how would Wren feel? “We’d feel like we had a chance to be an even better team than we were last year.”

We pause here for your scoffs: Team flops, team adds nobody of consequence, team expects to improve? Well, yes. The starting rotation, which lost two key men (Jair Jurrjens and Tommy Hanson) to injury down the stretch, stands to be healthy again. The bullpen, which was the best part of the 2011 Braves, stands to be even deeper. And a man who arrived not long before last season came undone figures to have an outsize influence on 2012.

For years, Braves fans have demanded a True Leadoff Man. Wren found one, at not much cost, at the trading deadline. “Michael Bourn alone will change our offense,” Wren said. “He sets us up very well to take the current roster into the season.”

Last season the Braves’ offense stunk on ice. So long as the starting pitchers went deep into games and Jonny Venters and Craig Kimbrel held every lead, the wins kept coming, but when Jurrjens and Hanson went down and the overtaxed relievers began to wobble … well, that’s how you lose 21 of your final 32. A full season of Bourn — and a new hitting coach in Greg Walker — should help the offense, but Dan Uggla and Jason Heyward and Martin Prado have to hit better, too.....
There’s not apt to be a big trade coming this spring. (”As a practicality, that’s probably the case,” Wren said.) And here we have to salute this GM for resisting the mighty urge, in the backwash of an epic fade, to do something, anything, everything. What happened was bad, but the worst thing Wren could have done was to take one bad month as cause to wreck a team poised for a run of many good years. He didn’t. He got it right.

By Mark Bradley

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2012/01/19/give-wren-a-hand-for-not-overreacting-to-the-braves-collapse/

I agree with this.

bluemax

Banned
Michael Bourn and his career .336 OBP is a "True Lead Off Man"?

He's projected for about a .340 OBP next season. Players with similar OBP last year:

Melky Cabrera
James Loney
Howie Kendrick
Torii Hunter
Placido Polanco

Although pretty much all of those guys were better offensively than Bourn.

Jon

Trivia time! It's Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza! There was no question on the page for the 19th, but today we have one.

Question 8?

From what city did the Baltimore Orioles franchise move in 1954?

A) St. Louis
B) Kansas City
C) Washington
D) Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom