• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Trivia time! It's Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza! There was no question on the page for the 19th, but today we have one.

Question 8?

From what city did the Baltimore Orioles franchise move in 1954?

A) St. Louis
B) Kansas City
C) Washington
D) Philadelphia

A

Bonus eznark question, where were they before that?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nice to see Carlos Pena back in a Rays uniform. Honestly makes the Luke Scott signing even more questionable than it already was but whatever.

RBH

Trivia time! It's Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza! There was no question on the page for the 19th, but today we have one.

Question 8?

A) St. Louis
B) Kansas City
C) Washington
D) Philadelphia

A) St. Louis

Malo

Banned

Question 8?

A) St. Louis
B) Kansas City
C) Washington
D) Philadelphia
A) St. Louis

Good deal for the Rays bringing back Peña. I was hoping the yankees could bring him in to platoon at dh with Andruw Jones.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Question 8?

A) St. Louis
B) Kansas City
C) Washington
D) Philadelphia
St. Louis Browns

they were somewhere before that?

A) St. Louis
And I thought Carlos would be a nice fit for the Brewers to replace some of the power Fielder brought. Nice signing by the Rays
Eznark question, was it Washington?

Madtown_

A) St. Louis
And I thought Carlos would be a nice fit for the Brewers to replace some of the power Fielder brought. Nice signing by the Rays

I didn't have much of a clue on the trivia, but I have a feeling it's A...

The Brewers just don't have the money to get any big names. They're nearing a franchise record, $100 million, and they have a washed-up prospect with potential (Gamel) and Hart to play first.

Michael Bourn and his career .336 OBP is a "True Lead Off Man"?

He's projected for about a .340 OBP next season. Players with similar OBP last year:

Melky Cabrera
James Loney
Howie Kendrick
Torii Hunter
Placido Polanco

Although pretty much all of those guys were better offensively than Bourn.

Steals, bro.

eznark

Banned
I didn't have much of a clue on the trivia, but I have a feeling it's A...

The Brewers just don't have the money to get any big names. They're nearing a franchise record, $100 million, and they have a washed-up prospect with potential (Gamel) and Hart to play first.

Can someone be both washed up and a prospect at the same time? Also, is it fair to call Gamel washed up based on fewer than 200 PA?

Madtown_

Can someone be both washed up and a prospect at the same time? Also, is it fair to call Gamel washed up based on fewer than 200 PA?
No, and no.
Meant to or should have said, 'old'.

Just as Nelson Cruz was an old prospect when the Crew got rid of him.

BFIB

Aramis Ramirez was one of the biggest names out there.
I had no idea the Brewers payroll was that high. Did they raise ticket prices?

Madtown_

Aramis Ramirez was one of the biggest names out there.
I had no idea the Brewers payroll was that high. Did they raise ticket prices?
Yeah, Ramirez was a big name, and after signing him and K-Rod accepting arbitration, the Brewers were pretty much out of the game for any other big names.
Some were thinking Fielder could come back for a year..but that would put the Crew over 110 million.

eznark

Banned
No, and no.
Meant to or should have said, 'old'.

Just as Nelson Cruz was an old prospect when the Crew got rid of him.

We've always had Gamel. And in the only year he was given any sort of playing time he performed well for a 22 year old. I'm very interested to see what he can do when given the opportunity, assuming they give him a legit shot.

I suck at Fantasy Baseball; 5 years in a league and I have finished one game out of the playoffs every year.

Make me better MLB-GAF.

Also, please note my league uses quasi-sabermetric categories in comparison to standard fantasy leagues, (R HR TB K RC PPA OBP OPS HR K QS CG SO ERA WHIP K/BB SVHD)

TheNatural

My Member!
Reds going to their classic scrap heap ways to pick up Ludwick off the pile cheap. Meh, hopefully he can recapture whatever made him decent in St Louis instead of the guy who has had three straight years of major numbers decline. I would take Gomes-esque numbers at this point.

ToxicAdam

Speaking of scrap pile guys, whatever happened to Jorge Cantu? I would've guessed if anyone was going to have a Raul Ibanez-like second career, it would have been him.

BFIB

Reds going to their classic scrap heap ways to pick up Ludwick off the pile cheap. Meh, hopefully he can recapture whatever made him decent in St Louis instead of the guy who has had three straight years of major numbers decline. I would take Gomes-esque numbers at this point.

I think Ludwick is going to put up some decent numbers in GABP. He's at his best when he gets a day off here and there. Seems after a day off, he always has a big game.

Cantu's slide into futility was weird. The guy was a beast with the Marlins, and as soon as he got traded to the Rangers in 2010, he turned absolutely useless.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jon Morosi
Source: #Indians acquire Kevin Slowey from #Rockies for Zach Putnam.

Guess thats the Indians contingency plan for Roberto Hernandez. Like the move.

McNei1y

Nationals Extend Michael Morse.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/nationals-extend-michael-morse.html

Nationals Extend Michael Morse
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 20, 2012 at 3:25pm CST]

The Nationals announced that they agreed to sign Michael Morse to a contract extension. The sides agreed to the extension before this week's deadline for exchanging arbitration figures and Morse has since passed his physical.

Tim Dierkes recently previewed a possible deal between Morse and the Nationals, suggesting a three-year, $18.5MM extension with a club option for a fourth year might work for both sides.

Edit: Didn't see the trivia.. yea its A.

Question 8?

A) St. Louis
B) Kansas City
C) Washington
D) Philadelphia

A! We should give our answers in spoilers. Not that it matters today, but yeah.

Jon

Answer time, yes, it was A. Everyone is correct today...a couple of easy ones in a row now. I'm hoping we'll get back to the medium/hard questions soon. Have a good weekend everyone!

ToxicAdam

Jon Morosi
Source: #Indians acquire Kevin Slowey from #Rockies for Zach Putnam.

Guess thats the Indians contingency plan for Roberto Hernandez. Like the move.

Ugh, I hate Slowey. Now the Indians are going to feel compelled to make him our 5th starter for a few months to justify the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom